JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Off Topic - Wireless TV boxes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Off Topic - Wireless TV boxes Reply with quote

Hi all, This is very off topic.

I just got a note from my Condo Association telling me that we are dumping Comcast and going to a 10 year contract with AT&T for Fiber Optics service. The new system is going to have 1 wired TV and 2 wireless boxes.

I am really worrying about this.

Does anyone know if these wireless TV boxes run on 5GHz or 2.4GHz,
Does anyone have any experience with the wireless TV boxes in a wifi dense Wifi situation?
Does anyone have any experience with these where, they are 290 feet from where the fios enters the building?

My condo is like a wi-fi fishbowl. Approximately 30% of the units currently have wifi. At any given time there are at least 12 routers visible on each channel. My router always reports that interference on channels 1 and 6 is severe, probably because a few people are running on channel 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 instead of sticking with 1, 6 and 11. The only wifi channel that gives decent speed is 11, even though there are 16 other routers sharing this channel.

I did some experiments with 5GHz wifi. That channel is currently clear. It can't be seen downstairs, the cement floors stop it in its tracks, It also can't be seen more than one condo away, but most of my equipment doesn't support 5GHz, and the 5Ghz signal from my current router couldn't penetrate the three walls between the office and the living room.

Thoughts?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If those are U-verse boxes, looks like they are 5GHz according to the manual:
https://www.att.com/media/att/2014/support/pdf/Arris+VIP2500+Wireless+Receiver+Product+Manual.pdf

I could be wrong, but my understanding is they wouldn't use your router or LAN for video distribution, but their own wifi LAN coming from your main DVR box. I don't think you'll have any trouble. If it doesn't work, it's AT&T's responsibility to make it work, with wired boxes if necessary.

Let us know how it turns out.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dave!!!!!!!! I searched for hours without finding that information.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: