JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Multiplex and Extender URC8820EXTA7 - fixed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Multiplex and Extender URC8820EXTA7 - fixed Reply with quote

I am using a URC8820 with extender A7 and for some reason as soon as I'm using the multiplex protocol the device assigned to the DVD button changes to the device selected by the multiplex protocol for the TV button.

It's weird because other devices VCR,PVR,CD.. are fine even after using the multiplex protocol.

So here's how I reproduce the problem:

1 - I select the DVD button and capture the IR signal to confirm that the menu button is really working with the setup code assigned in remote master

2- I select TV and press shift 2 to change the setup code on the TV button for something else.

3- I go back to DVD and the menu button is sending code that was assigned to the tv button.

Here is my RMIR file if someone want to take a look at it:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14096
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's either something wrong with the RDF for this remote, or with RMIR itself. I see all your MultiPlex commands in the Keymoves section rather than in the Special Functions section, and if I try to add a MultiPlex entry using the SF section, it just hangs.

So, next I tried saving my IR file (which has MultiPlex functions in it) as an RMIR file and seeing what it looks like in RMIR and the MultiPlex functions are not handled properly for my file either. In IR.exe I get a drop down where I can chose the device type and a box where I can enter the setup code, in RMIR I just see a hex box which always has the value "14 61" regardless of which entry I edit.

Anyway, back to your file. I see that in the general tab, you have DVD/1166 assigned to the DVD button, but when I look for that upgrade in the Devices tab, I see that it's called Tape/1166. Could it be that the inconsistent types is causing the issue? Try changing the upgrade to DVD/1166 and see if that fixes it.
Carl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I see all your MultiPlex commands in the Keymoves section rather than in the Special Functions section

I had them in the Special Functions section and moved them to the keymoves section because I thought it was the problem.
Quote:
I see that it's called Tape/1166. Could it be that the inconsistent types is causing the issue?

I had this device as DVD/VCR and it was doing the same thing.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about this. There is a Multiplex bug in RMIR v2.03 build 14, the latest release version. Build 14 is to be the last official build of v2.03, v2.04 is currently under development. Please try the development version RMIR v2.04 build 1 and report back.
Carl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last version of RMIR fixes the multiplex bug when adding new multiplex device (thank you for this), however after uploading my file to my remote, the bug remains.

I do this:

TV shift 2 : It sets the Panasonic setup code on the TV button.
I select DVD and the setup code for DVD becomes the one set for TV by the multiplexer...

Like I said, it only happen to the DVD button, all other device keep their setup codes, I don't get it....
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, there is now nothing wrong with the handling of Multiplex by RMIR. Rob's issue of DVD versus TAPE is of no concern, they are equivalent (see the DeviceTypeAliases section of the RDF). RMIR just sets up the data for Multiplex, the actions performed by Multiplex are determined entirely by the extender.

You can see the code that performs Multiplex by going to the Devices tab, selecting the Multiplex device and pressing the Edit Protocol button. I can see nothing obviously wrong with the code, but it needs more knowledge of this particular remote than I have to verify whether it is storing the data in the right locations. It is assuming that the setup codes are in the RAM of the remote in a list starting at address $C3 and that the byte at $4B holds the device index of the current device. I have no way of telling if this is correct.

BTW It is unclear from your posts whether only the DVD device gets the new setup code or whether both the TV and DVD devices get it. I can only understand this being an extender bug if only the DVD device gets it. If both TV and DVD get it then I cannot see how the multiplex code can result in storage at two different locations. If that is the case then it is a mystery to me.
Carl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes both TV and DVD setup codes are changed by the extender.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there is some oddity in your setup that is causing this. I see that you have other multiplexes set up on TV, for Shift/1 through Shift/6. Is it only Shift/2 that this happens with?

I see that there are also keymoves on DVD Shift/2 (and DVD Shift/1) and also a macro on the DVD button - the keymoves are shaded grey as they are part of the device upgrade for the DVD. If you want to investigate this further, I suggest creating a new, simple, setup in which you don't have other keymoves and macros, just a multiplex, to see if it still happens. You will be able to re-load your existing setup after doing such testing, so you shouldn't lose anything. Or perhaps you could start with your present setup and delete things, starting with the macros, to see what happens. I would be very interested to find out what is causing this, but am pretty confident it isn't an RMIR bug.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carl,

It does seem that you are the ONLY user of that extender.

I downloaded the latest RM and opened your file. Nothing is jumping out by just eyeballing this. I did remerge the extender and lots of bytes changed. That is a little worrisome.

I can't find my JP1.2/8820/10820 remotes. I'm still looking, but I might have left them in Florida. Last time I went down I made sure I brought them with me but now don't have a clue if they are here or in FL.

If I could find a 8820 or 10820 lying around my next experiment would be to do a 981, and then download it via RMIR and IR. merge the A7 Hex, setup an email, set up the the multiplex, and then see if this still is a problem. I would do it in both in IR and RMIR and test both versions.

If it still is a problem then we know the problem lies in the extender itself.

If it works that way, then the next thing to check is the RDF. RDF creation is extremely difficult for me, and perhaps I didn't set the addresses correctly to protect the extender when you ran out of setup code space.

After that, we just rebuild the image one bit at a time.
Carl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it only Shift/2 that this happens with?
It happens with all the shift.

I did a 981 and removed all macros and shaded keymoves but I still have the problem.

JP1.2/8820/10820 remotes are hard to find these days, I'm thinking about changing my remote. If my remote becomes physically damaged I may not be able to find another one easily. I need a remote with an extender and more than 5 device buttons with a multiplex protocol.

I use the remote in a big school at work to control all the projectors and TVs.
I was thinking about a nevo c2 but I'm worry about the remote not being sturdy enough.
I have many Atlas JP2 which I find very heavy duty and easy to find, but the extender do not have the multiplex protocol.
Do you guys have anything in mind for me?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I borrowed an 8820.

I can get it to work "sometimes" and not others.

So sometimes the device mode has the wrong value, sometimes it is right.

What can cause this
1) the protocol has the wrong register for the dev_mode
2) a timing issue where the storage hasn't completed some of the time.

We are going to try to fix this by trying a different device mode register.

My first hope is that we can fix this by picking up the device mode from a different register.

Try opening your RMIR file

Double click on the multiplex protocol 01 FE*
Click on the protocol code
Change the 9th byte from 4B to 4A and click ok

Save your RMIR file

Open it again to make sure it saved the 4a

Then upload to your remote

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl wrote:
I have many Atlas JP2 which I find very heavy duty and easy to find, but the extender do not have the multiplex protocol.
Do you guys have anything in mind for me?

I suggest you look into the OARUSB04G, which has an extender that includes Multiplex. (I take it that you are in the US, the equivalent European model is the URC-6440). Unextended, it only supports 4 devices but with the extender it supports 12 devices. There are 4 physical device buttons, the others are accessed by one or two presses of a Shift key before pressing the device button. It connects to RMIR through its USB port.

I may be biased, as I wrote the extender, but it sounds to me as if it might meet your needs.
Carl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Change the 9th byte from 4A to 4B and click ok
You probably meant 4B to 4A.

It seems to have fix the problem, no matter how many time I use the multiplex protocol, the DVD device keep it's setup code.

Thank you for this, it's great.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl wrote:
Quote:
Change the 9th byte from 4A to 4B and click ok
You probably meant 4B to 4A.

Yes. I had already seen that. I thought I would have caught that before you saw it, you must have been paying close attention!

I'm glad this fixed it. If it hadn't it would have been a major problem, as the development tools don't run on my current computer.

I don't think anybody ever used this extender.

I wrote this extender in 2007, someone reported a problem in 2010, and now another one in 2016.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
jgfarrell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky

Glad the OP got his problem fixed.

Off-topic for this thread, but wanted to jump in and say Thanks! to you.

Your A7 extender DID get used by someone! I had no need for the multiplex function but it worked just fine on my 10820 for at least a couple of years. When the numbers on the buttons started rubbing off, I bought a handful of replacements that turned out (unknown to me at the time) to be 10820N's.

When your extender for that was debugged, I switched over to the 10820N, which is still running your extender to this day. (and will get used on its sisters, when the first 10820N dies.)

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: