JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

onkyo remote with JP1???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, are you back from vacation? Very Happy
I've already hijacked this thread. There's now another,and sounds similar and I don't want to hijack that
See last post Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:44 am http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5494
Do you think the new IR which can see >4K might see my eeprom with that pin3 grounded? It would make such a cool tool for big capacity learning.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Rob, are you back from vacation? Very Happy

Hey, that was 2 vacations ago, I've been ski-ing since then!

ElizabethD wrote:
I've already hijacked this thread. There's now another,and sounds similar and I don't want to hijack that
See last post Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:44 am http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5494

What, you don't know how to find the direct URLs for posts? To the left of the word "posted" is a small icon that looks like a piece of paper (), this icon holds the direct URL, which in this case is...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=55215#55215

ElizabethD wrote:
Do you think the new IR which can see >4K might see my eeprom with that pin3 grounded? It would make such a cool tool for big capacity learning.

Dunno, give it a try, or do I still have your remote? If I do, can you remind me what it looks like.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't take a picture, 'cause you have it. It's black. Very rectangular, not rounded edges, 3 batteries. Some knob in the middle you can push down I think for backlight. Over 70 buttons. Some blue and black buttons or something blue, perhaps outline. That's all from memory. And I bet this manual goes with it - otherwise I would not have this file on my computer - remote stuff starts on p.80. It's a huge file, so delete when you get it if space is short
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4368
I posted the inside view (I didn't know about those direct url links - cool!) it has some ID numbers.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=45992#45992
The picture is still at imageShack, I just checked.

Skiing stinks on the East coast this year. Snow, rain, ice, hot, rain, ice ... Daffodils since December. Then they froze.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should've reminded me about this when I got back from last summer's vacation because I had completely forgotten about it and now I have no idea where the remote is. Every so often I do a "remote sweep" in the basement and scoop up all the remotes that are lying around and put them into a box, which is probably what happened to this remote, only now I don't know which box it's in nor where the box is.

But, if I come across it, I will re-investigate whatever it was we were trying to do before.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what your remote looks like Liz...

ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
You should've reminded me about this when I got back from last summer's vacation
I didn't want to be a nag since you're busy, but on and off I keep thinking what a cool thing it would be for learning. Thanks for unboxing. Looks like I caused more work Sad sorry.
YES, absolutely, this is the remote. If you do find time to reopen again, the numbers might match to the inside shot.

Edited:I just confirmed at home the remote is RC-588M and i think that's what your picture shows as well.
nevyn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: That looks almost identical to my RC-591M Onkyo Reply with quote

mine also has 6 pads above the battery compartment.

There seem to be a number of threads (mostly quite old) trying to work out if onkyo remotes are jp1ish as they're quite nice (the only problem being I keep picking the thing up upside down)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Liz,
Good news, I found the remote! Now let's see if I can do anything with it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried downloading it again and it didn't work, so I took it apart and had a good look at the PCB and I really don't think this is a UEI remote. So, what next?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for taking time to check it. I really appreciate it.
Can you sit on it a bit longer? Till your next sweep Smile Perhaps some idea will come along. I hate to fill the potholes or the town dump with it since it seems so cool. None of the jp1... modes worked? Slow, Fast? It said nothing? Do all UEI insides share something that just is missing here and makes it really obvious it's not UEI? If not them, who'd make a neat one like that? BTW, when you read the instructions, there are differences that make me think also it might not be UEI, yet it seems so close.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the other chips on the PCB look like UEI chips and I've never seen UEI use an EEPROM as big as this one. I checked the connectivity between the 6 pads and the EEPROM, at first I was hopeful because pad-4 connected to EEPROM pin5 and pad-6 connected to pin6, which is as it should be, but pin3 didn't connect to ground like it normally would on a UEI remote. So, I think the fact that they have 6 pads in a shape muck like a JP1 remote is really just a coincidence. Therefore, even if we were to read the EEPROM contents, they probably wouldn't make much sense, and given the size, I bet the EEPROM is just there to hold learned signals.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boo Hoo Crying or Very sad
When I sent it to you, I haven't even tried it as an end-user. So, at some point, I may want to see how it stacks up. If I send you a check or PayPal for postage, can you mail back? Which is better?

Perhaps, for the record, and to answer future, similar questions, if you still have it opened, it might be neat to get good sharp pics of both sides of the PCB and post at imageShack. If you find time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: