JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IRScope 2.01 Beta posted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prey tell what is SCREEN BUTTONS?
I have PgUp and PgDn so tried them right now, but nothing moves.
AHA! I was doing it on the notes dialog. I now see there are Up and Down buttons in Action on item selected section. Didn't notice them before.
So what do those Up and Down buttons on the notes dialog do?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Prey tell what is SCREEN BUTTONS?
I have PgUp and PgDn so tried them right now, but nothing moves.
AHA! I was doing it on the notes dialog. I now see there are Up and Down buttons in Action on item selected section. Didn't notice them before.

If you didn't see the buttons on the screen (or perhaps you have them hidden?), you probably didn't notice that there is a "Note" Column in the decode window. The Note moves up and down with the selected item. It really helps me to pull the correct window to the foreground. Its really helpful for those of us who have a short attention span.

This is getting to be such a cool tool.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:

They move to the note of the next or preceding selected decode. There is a heading on the Note panel: "Note for decode #n". You will see that the value of n changes to that of the next or preceding selected decode.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRScope 2.01 Beta 2 posted.

I have posted a second beta version of IRScope 2.01. This includes some substantial additions to the features of the first beta, which itself was significantly enhanced beyond IRScope 2.00. The additions new in Beta 2 include:

* The export mode "Pronto from decode" is now active (it was grayed out in the first Beta).

* A Summary display is now available, which can be saved either as a Rich Text Format (.rtf) file or as plain text (.txt).

* There is now an Import facility that can import UEI Learned and Pronto formats and also Timing Lists of the form displayed by the Times Summary of the Learned Signals tab of IR.exe and by the new Summary facility of this program.

* Two new options on the Advanced menu that address specific requests. If Select on Capture is checked (the "Gary option") then the decode or decodes resulting from any capture are automatically selected (highlighted), which simplifies the addition of notes for the new capture. If Common Output Folder is checked (the "Vicky option") then exported signals are written to the "Save" folder rather than to the separate "Export Output" folder.

There is also a change to the folder in which the View button (or File/Open menu) opens. When IRScope is opened or the "Save" folder is changed, the default folder for View is re-set to the "Save" folder. At other times it opens in the folder last used by View.

Both the Summary and Import facilities are available either through the File menu or through new buttons on the main display. Here is an example of the Summary display:

The Summary window can be re-sized and has a check box to turn word wrap on and off. The tab stop positions in the Decodes section correspond to the column widths in the Decodes panel of the main display, so can be adjusted by changing the column widths. The Raw Timing Data gives the times exactly as received by the Widget and as displayed in the Waveform window. The Analysed Timing Data gives the result after processing to identify repeats and to average out the timings of bursts identified as the same. The Timing Lists import mode accepts either form, one signal at a time. Omit the signal number "1:", "2:" etc but copy everything else, including the words Single, Repeat and Extra where they occur.

The Analysed Timing Data is always the result of analysis by IRScope, so if you import a signal in an analysed form, including UEI Learned and Pronto formats, the signal is expanded to a raw timing list for display and is then re-analysed for the Summary listing. The Analysed Timing Data is also the form that will be encoded in an export.

The export mode "Pronto from decode" makes use of MakeHex.dll, included in this package, which is John Fine's MakeHex.exe converted to DLL form. This mode is intended to give a similar capability to the modified version of IRScope issued by garyb.ncc as IRScope2Hex. You need to have MakeHex.exe installed, or at least have its ".irp" files, to use this export option. The matching of decodes to .irp files is by name, but protocol names are converted by IRScope to the form used in .irp files so that with one exception, I believe that every protocol that has a corresponding .irp file will find that file correctly. The one exception is that russound.irp is the file for the DirecTV protocol, as the name of this protocol has been changed since MakeHex was developed. I suggest renaming russound.irp as DirecTV.irp for conformity with DecodeIR and RemoteMaster.

Beta 2 includes all the features I have planned for IRScope v2.01. Please report comments, suggestions and bugs here. As usual, USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee Graham, I got my own option, Laughing Thanks,

I downloaded the project to try the IRP export. The Makehex.dll is included, but apparently I need the Makehex IRP files. Where do I get these?

Edit: I re-read the post and realize I needed to download Makehex.exe and its IRP files. I hadn't explored MAKEHEX before, I can check this out.

I also checked out the VIEW folder, thank-you, thank-you, thank-you. It works PERFECTLY, right down to when I change the save folder, it defaults to that folder. This will eliminate so much navigation for me and its so intuitive.

Edit2: Just tried out the Import function. Another time saver, thanks. Normally if someone posts learns, I have to find a learning remote, download the remote, Cut and paste from the users IR into my IR, upload to my remote, and then shoot them at IRScope. Now its just copy and paste to IRScope. Very, very helpful. This also makes IRScope much more useful to people who do not own a widget.

Edit3: I just checked out the timing summary. This will make it easier to communicate about protocols that didn't decode, but I finally found something that I'd like changed if its not too much trouble. While the Summary code is beautifully layed out, it would be a lot more "user friendly", if not as "pretty" if the notes ( and to a lesser degree, the frequency) were repeated on each line in the analzyed timings. This change would help us if the signal is new unrecognized protocol. This would make it easier to use the same spreadsheets to figure out how to build the protocol, and the list of function obcs.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Now it's just copy and paste to IRScope. Very, very helpful. This also makes IRScope much more useful to people who do not own a widget.

That was one of my aims, to make IRScope useful even without a Widget.

Quote:
While the Summary code is beautifully laid out, it would be a lot more "user friendly", if not as "pretty" if the notes (and to a lesser degree, the frequency) were repeated on each line in the analyzed timings.

I'll experiment with that, probably putting a header line like the ones that appear in an export file.

Overall, glad you like it.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played with the rich variety of file locations and presets, all action buttons except Import, and several other simple things such as multiple selections, moving, deleting, adding notes, reviewing the signal pictures etc.
Everything works as advertised.
I particularily love the Summary report from which transfer of all learned signals over to KM was a snap. A real upgrade built in under 5 minutes. WOW!
Using an unextended HTPro/8910/9910 I copied the UEI version of exported data over to IR learning tab, assigned few buttons and tested using the "learned" signals. Worked fine. Amazing. Absolutely amazing. OK, Vicky, don't laugh. This was a first for me Smile

I tried playing with the Import button. No idea really how to use it or what's there for me. I took few timing things from IR's learned tab and tried to import into IRscope. Obviously that's not what it's for, 'cause IRscope didn't like "+" in that IR data. I am sure Pronto etc imports will work just fine for people who use it.

The notes copy to the analysed timing would be nice as Vicky said.

One thing puzzles me a little. I have an old IR file of learned signals. It's plain Aiwa. IR displays both the "Sent once when key is pressed" as well as the "Sent repeatedly while key is being held" which has just the LI/LO type of thing, not data.
I repeated learning of this box in IRscope, and everything matches, repeats included.
But when I Exported from IRscope over to a new IR file, the repeated part was not included. Learned signals work so I suppose it's ok, but is it? and is this the way it's supposed to be? I have a hunch there might be a problem if one were to use those copies of learned signals in a macro, things might not work well due to the lack of repeats. What do you think?

Finally, what is the Analyzed timings all about?

That's it for now. More might come later.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
I tried playing with the Import button. No idea really how to use it or what's there for me. I took few timing things from IR's learned tab and tried to import into IRscope. Obviously that's not what it's for, 'cause IRscope didn't like "+" in that IR data. I am sure Pronto etc imports will work just fine for people who use it.

That is one of the things the Import button is for, but you must choose "Timing List" as the import format (the set of radio buttons at the bottom). You can also press the Edit button on the Learned Signals tab to display the signal in UEI Learned form and copy that into the IRScope import box, selecting the UEI Learned import format.
Quote:
I have an old IR file of learned signals. It's plain Aiwa. IR displays both the "Sent once when key is pressed" as well as the "Sent repeatedly while key is being held" which has just the LI/LO type of thing, not data.
I repeated learning of this box in IRscope, and everything matches, repeats included.
But when I Exported from IRscope over to a new IR file, the repeated part was not included. Learned signals work so I suppose it's ok, but is it?

Could you e-mail me the various files involved in this so that I can look into it? Something seems wrong, but I need to be able to try it for myself to see what is happening.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Finally, what is the Analyzed timings all about?

Analzyed timings are useful when you are decoding by hand for things that don't decode properly such as <unknown> or <gap> signals. One of the main objections to working with ICT files to do decodes by hand, is that they were so inconveninent. You would waste a lot of time getting them into a form similar to the times summary that comes out of IR.

For me the widget always won hands down. Learning from remote to remote is torturous for me. I can't think sideways fast enough to keep the learning from timing out. About 30% of my learns were bad learns, and it took several sessions to capture all the signals. And I could never seem to remember which oem key was captured where. Doing 1 complex remote would take me over an hour.

With the widget, I can learn one key at a time, check to make sure I've got a good looking signal, add a note so I don't forget what I put where, arrange my learns in a nice order, and export the whole thing, or now produce a nice summary. And captureing a whole remote complete with labels takes me less than 10 minutes. And what is even more important, when I have the widget, I don't put off the captures, because it is so easy.

Really really cool.

Oh and Elizabeth, I had no idea I could move a learn from one remote to another until I started working with PB. It was a delightful surprise to me too.

ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Could you e-mail me the various files involved in this so that I can look into it? Something seems wrong, but I need to be able to try it for myself to see what is happening.

Done. Few files for this one experiment in the mail.
Don't sweat it. Some of these features are totally new procedures for me, so most likely user error/misunderstanding of purpose...
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the files, Liz. Neither a bug nor user error, merely an inadequate description in my announcement.

Because of the way my detection of repeats works, when repeats are sent as a ditto frame it needs at least 3 dittos for IRScope to recognise them as dittos. Yours all have only 1 or 2 dittos. What is happening is that the dittos are being tagged on to the end of the Single bursts rather than being recognised as a repeat. If you are using the Widget with a real remote, you need a longer keypress.

You can also transfer a learned signal from IR.exe. Open the Edit window in IR.exe Learned Signals, copy the learn and paste it into the Import window in IRScope. That window has a drop-down box to set the number of repeats you want in the imported signal. The default is 3, precisely because of this issue.

Give one of these a try. It should resolve the problem.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! It's there in IR, the repeats, right in front of my face. Thanks for clarifying. Clear as daylight.
Bottom line, for me: Nice version of IRscope. I can't find any flaws.
It's amazing how we all survived without this sort of tools, and I have barely scratched the surface here.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, I've been playing with IRScope and loving it. While I don't use all of the features you have added, the ones I do use have made all the difference in the world. The ability to delete, reorder, add notes, and import and export are HUGE improvements.

I've found one little itty bitty item. The SAVE AS folder doesn't default to the SAVE folder.

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I've found one little itty bitty item. The SAVE AS folder doesn't default to the SAVE folder.

Thanks, I'll look into it.
garyb.ncc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally gotten some time to start playing with Beta 2 and I would like to say that all the new features are really nice.

I was playing with it today and found a bit of a quirk that can make it a little difficult to import Pronto hex. I copied some Pronto hex directly from a CCF file and pasted it into the IRScope import dialog. The hex coming from ProntoEdit had all lower case letters in the hex. IRScope only accepts uppercase hex. If you would change the IRScope code to allow upper and lower case, or convert toupper it would sure make it easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: