JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

jp1 usb - can't get ANY driver to work
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: even more baby steps... but I'm standing Reply with quote

keith_leitch wrote:
I would like to take you up on your offer to test it

Happy to help - I sent you a PM with my address.

Jim
keith_leitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: even more baby steps... but I'm standing Reply with quote

jimdunn wrote:
As I say, it's almost certainly a red herring in this case, but since it only takes a minute or so to check, I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Yes, it was definitely worth a try, and is useful information for the future. I am fairly confident, now, that I am dealing with a piece of junk. I would like to take you up on your offer to test it before I consider sending good money after bad. Thanks for your help, everyone.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: even more baby steps... but I'm standing Reply with quote

In the meantime, Keith, the only other thing you mention which gives me any ideas is:

keith_leitch wrote:

I have rebooted until my boots are bleeding,

and
Quote:
When I connect the device, the only response is USB Device Not Recognised.

Now, this is almost certainly a blind alley, since I think you said you'd tried more than one machine, but I build and repair PCs, and there is one item of USB behaviour worth mentioning here.

If the message you are getting is "One of the USB devices connected to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognise it", this can occasionally persist across reboots.

What seems to happen is some "garbage" gets stuck in the USB bus, or cached on a motherboard chip, and the only way to clear it is to completely remove the power cord (and battery if it's a laptop), disconnect all USB devices/hubs then discharge the computer completely by holding in the power key for a couple of minutes to discharge capacitors etc, before reconnecting the power.

I know - it sounds bizarre, but I have personal experience of this problem, and solution, on more than one occasion. Surprised

Here's a couple of online references, too:
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/usb-device-not-recognized/
http://www.ntcompatible.com/Desperately_need_help_---_USB_Devices_Not_Recognized_t32356.html#163308

I've seen this scenario a few times (often, though not always, with a SiS chipset) - and until the machine is fully discharged, plugging in all sorts of perfectly good USB devices can give this message.

As I say, it's almost certainly a red herring in this case, but since it only takes a minute or so to check, I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Other than that, or the ideas for checking the driver installation, I'm happy to check the cable and remote for you - just let me know.

Jim
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz, I just downloaded your document. That should really help people who have a problem with the install. Its a huge file to download, but the pictures are so helpful its definately worth the wait.

I remember I had a bad version of the delcom driver installed and what a pain it was to get the right version up and working, but I didn't document it, like you did.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Upper Hunter Valley, NSW.

I think it could save a lot of guessing to test the remote with my cables (which I know work) and to test the cable with some of my remotes (which I also know work) on computers where I know the drivers and software work.
keith_leitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimdunn wrote:
Let me know if you think that would help and I'll PM you my address.

That's really kind of you, and I will probably take you up on it. Where are you living?
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith_leitch wrote:
Thanks very much for your reply, but I have tried the USBIODS driver from this page many times, to no avail.

Hey Keith - Rob just drew my attention to this thread, since I'm a bit nearer to you than he is Smile

If you're still struggling after trying all the ideas here - then, to rule out the possibility of a bad cable/bad remote/bad JP1 pins, if you wanted to, I'd be happy for you to post the cable and remote to me - I could test both the cable and remote in a known, working environment so that we'd know where the problem lies. I could test and return post them the same day I receive them, so it should be quick and painless.

Let me know if you think that would help and I'll PM you my address.

Last edited by jimdunn on Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
keith_leitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Don't you people ever sleep, just play with the remotes ?? Twisted Evil ??

I have few screen shots of Delcom v4 installation which works on an old box, a laptop, XP-SP3. Posted in diagnosis
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8263

If work laptop, make sure you can run as Admin or Priviledged user to be able to install drivers.

Good point, but I have tried this on no fewer than four computers, two of which were stationery machines with no user accounts. I will look at your link.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you people ever sleep, just play with the remotes ?? Twisted Evil ??

I have few screen shots of Delcom v4 installation which works on an old box, a laptop, XP-SP3. Posted in diagnosis
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8263

If work laptop, make sure you can run as Admin or Priviledged user to be able to install drivers.
keith_leitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Keith, one more thing, is this XP running on an ordinary computer or are we looking at something special like dual processors or a 64 bit OS?

Thanks, Vicky. Images are coming now. I've posted the URLs for them, because I just can't seem to make them display with the IMG tag.

It is definitely XP 32. As for Dual processors, I guess I do not know for sure as it is my work laptop; however, I doubt it sincerely.

http://img684.imageshack.us/i/dscf3151i.jpg/
http://img710.imageshack.us/i/dscf3150.jpg/
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructions for posting an image can be found here.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6557

Keith, one more thing, is this XP running on an ordinary computer or are we looking at something special like dual processors or a 64 bit OS?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
keith_leitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith_leitch wrote:
I will try to organise some pictures.

I have photos, now, but can't figure out how to attach them. Do I have to upload them to an HTML page first?

[img]file://X:\DCIM\100_FUJI\DSCF3151.JPG[/img]
[img]file://X:\DCIM\100_FUJI\DSCF3150.JPG[/img]
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable should be recognized even if there is no remote attached.

keith_leitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I'd recommend this file for your drivers.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2712

Thanks very much for your reply, but I have tried the USBIODS driver from this page many times, to no avail.
keith_leitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Could you open the USB cable and take a picture of the circuitry inside? Take pics of both sides of the PCB.

I'm not familiar with what parts DIY used for these cables, and of course, it's entirely possible that you just have a bad cable and/or a bad remote. Is the URC-6801 the Cinema 6? If so, that remote just had holes rather than a 6-pin, so someone would have had to solder a 6-pin into the remote. So maybe the 6-pin wasn't soldered in properly.

Thanks for your prompt reply. It is the Cinema 6, but I had a connector soldered into the holes by a professional electrical engineer whom I trust. While anything is possible, I doubt that this is the problem.

I will try to organise some pictures. In the meantime, the chipset in use is numbered

CY7C63001C-PXC
0713 G 23 9D1158

which is an old chip from Cypress Semiconductors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: