JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IRScope 2.01 Beta posted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Seeing these two items on the File menu made me think you were were having 2 different save folders.

Set Save Folder
Set Export Output Folder

Oh, that's what you mean by two different folders. Yes, they are different but they have very different functions. I for one do not want to keep my exports in the same folder as my .ict files so I'm afraid they are going to remain separate.

Quote:
I don't like that the View Folder is saved between sessions. I think it should default to the Save folder whenever you start up the Irscope.

And even further (but this is something you'd need to get other people's opinion on), I'd like the View folder to actually change if I changed the save folder.

You change your folders in ways that I don't, so I haven't noticed this behavio(u)r. What you say you would like is what I thought actually happened. I'll look into this.

Quote:
Gary's method is still grayed out

I haven't posted Beta 2 yet. I have it up and running but am still adding other features. You won't have long to wait! Smile

Quote:
I HATE to read (or write) documentation

Oh shucks! After your IRHelp file and the wonderful lookup tool, I was hoping you would volunteer to do it! Laughing
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
Seeing these two items on the File menu made me think you were were having 2 different save folders.

Set Save Folder
Set Export Output Folder

Oh, that's what you mean by two different folders. Yes, they are different but they have very different functions. I for one do not want to keep my exports in the same folder as my .ict files so I'm afraid they are going to remain separate.

Fair enough. I don't understand why you wouldn't want your export folders to follow your project, but then I'm only thinking of the way I use it.

mathdon wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
I don't like that the View Folder is saved between sessions. I think it should default to the Save folder whenever you start up the Irscope.

And even further (but this is something you'd need to get other people's opinion on), I'd like the View folder to actually change if I changed the save folder.

You change your folders in ways that I don't, so I haven't noticed this behavio(u)r. What you say you would like is what I thought actually happened. I'll look into this.

Thanks! This is something that gets me every time I use Irscope. I switch SAVE folders, and then want to open my target key (the one I want my signals to look like) only its not in the folder, so I need to go through the folder navigation process again.

mathdon wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
Gary's method is still grayed out

I haven't posted Beta 2 yet. I have it up and running but am still adding other features. You won't have long to wait! Smile

Looking forward to it.

mathdon wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
I HATE to read (or write) documentation

Oh shucks! After your IRHelp file and the wonderful lookup tool, I was hoping you would volunteer to do it! Laughing

Hahaha. You see how fast I've been at reworking IRhelp. And with the new features that you've added, it really needs to be reworked, but I hate, hate, hate to do the writing. On the other hand I LIKE to "make it work".

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, an amazing work from Graham. The following should be taken as suggestions for further improvement, not criticism.

I think that export file, with all its options an possibilities, is actually error prone and confusing. Exactly what was it that you manually selected to export?

I would like to, as an alternative, suggest a trace file, preferably (for me Wink ) in XML-format. This should contain, roughly as much information as possibly, redundancy no problem, including time stamps. Something along the lines:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<irscopetrace>
   <capture hour="12" minute="32" second="56">
      <signal number="1">
         <decodes>   <!-- allowing for several alternative decodes -->
             <decode protocol="nec1" device="11" subdevice="22" obc="33" hex="..." efc="..."/>
             <decode ...> <!-- alternative decode -->
             </decode>
          </decodes>
          <ccf>
0000 0076 0008 0000 000F 000A 0006 0015 0006 000A 0006 0015 0006 000F 0006 000F 0006 000F 0006 396F<!-- Pronto representation -->
           </ccf>
           <uei-learned>
00 00 1C 00 E5 05 00 D2 00 88 00 55 01 2C 00 59 00 88 00 56 00 DA 00 55 FF FF 88 01 22 33 34
           </uei-leaned>
           <lintronic>
           </lintronic>
         </signal>
      <signal number="2"> <!-- further signals from the same capture -->
      </signal>
    </capture>
    <capture hour="..." ...>
    </capture>
</irscopetrace>

Clear what I mean? I would be happy to help working out the details.
If enabled by the user, this should be protocoling all the actions he is performing.

Independently of this, a right-mouse-button context menu in the waveform window, possibly also in the scrollable window, (offering things like save, export, print?) would be welcome.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barf, what are you suggesting? Did you actually want this to be the output as opposed to a plain text file?

I've been playing around with this export procedure some more, and I can see if used correctly this is going to be very easy for someone to create a working list of pronto or UEI learns.

I can do my captures,
label them all
order them with up and down arrows
delete the ones that didn't look right (huge improvment!!)
and select them all
and Export them to the file. (it appends to the export file) so if you just need to add one, cool, if you want to create the whole thing from one swoop, that's cool too!

Oh I forgot, I had to change the export folder, ( I'll wear you down yet Graham, Wink)

Right now Graham is using one file name, but once he separates these into file type that will be even better.

This will be really cool for sharing information with a pronto person, and the new features that Graham is working on for IR make it easy to recieive information from Pronto people.

Graham, does the export file contain enough information to create an ICT? I really need to SEE the signals and the other day Barf pasted the learns, so I had to break out a learning remote, download the remote, copy the signals to the learning area, upload to the remote, open IR Scope, capture the signals. I don't have a long enough attention span to do this for a huge batch of learns. I'd like to automate this process if it turns out I need to work with a large number of learns.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Barf, what are you suggesting? Did you actually want this to be the output as opposed to a plain text file?

Well, it is an alternative concept, having some definite advantages, like being machine parsable and less error prone. If it is seen as a complement or a replacement, I do not see as a major point.

BTW, I am both willing and able to assist with the implementation, if desired.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Graham replaces the easy to manage plain text file with XML, I'll fly across the ocean and throttle him. (Graham does that translate to English English Question Laughing Don't want any American to English misunderstanding there! )

It would seem that the XML would require quite a bit of code to parse it, and I would imagine that everybody uses IRScope a little differently. I find line breaks to be a pretty easy way to parse this without a lot of code. But I guess it depends on what you are doing with this and how much precision you need when you do the parsing.

Barf what type of use do you use your IRScope for?

garyb.ncc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
If Graham replaces the easy to manage plain text file with XML, I'll fly across the ocean and throttle him.

Well Graham according to Dictionary.com, to throttle means
Quote:
to stop the breath of by compressing the throat; strangle
That xml file format could be fatal. Very Happy

In all seriousness I personally prefer a comma delimited or tab delimited text file. These can be viewed in a spreadsheet in columns or easily imported into a database. But I can live with the text files as they currently exist.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyb.ncc wrote:
In all seriousness I personally prefer a comma delimited or tab delimited text file. These can be viewed in a spreadsheet in columns or easily imported into a database. But I can live with the text files as they currently exist.

I've really lost track of what files are being discussed. If it is the export files then their format is dictated by the applications they are intended to be imported into. Beta 2 will also write a Summary file in RTF format for human readability, from which data should be able to be copied easily to a spreadsheet etc.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, is the wave form window a canned C routine? Or do you have the ability to manipulate it? The reason I ask, is I keep forgetting how to do the zoom in. I rarely have a need to use this feature, but when I do, I always go for the left click as my first thought. When that doesn't work, I try the right click. When that doesn't work, I scratch my head and think that the function really didn't exist. Today I accidentally found it again when I mistakenly double clicked the wave formt. I'm absolutely fine with this function as is. It works great, BUT if you have any control on that, a left click would be much more intuitive than a double click.

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I always go for the left click as my first thought. When that doesn't work, I try the right click. When that doesn't work, I scratch my head and think that the function really didn't exist. Today I accidentally found it again when I mistakenly double clicked the wave form.

I agree wholeheartedly! Smile I should be able to do something about it. I thought it was probably just me that found the double-click to be an unusual mechanism!
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
If Graham replaces the easy to manage plain text file with XML, I'll fly across the ocean and throttle him.

I will join you Razz
Plain txt or csv files are the best.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, everything that worked in v2.00 works here as well.
I like being able to select signals to export, though I haven't figured out what I'd use it for Sad
Playing with the Notes is not clear to me. I can see the notes going into export (perfect for those Pronto translations), but what is it that can move up and down? An example of use would likely help me see the way.
Also how would you use the exported UEI decodes? Stick'm into Raw tab in IR??
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
As far as I can tell, everything that worked in v2.00 works here as well.
I like being able to select signals to export, though I haven't figured out what I'd use it for Sad

Well, suppose you had a signal that there was no protocol written?
You could export the learns and paste them into a learning remote while waiting for the protocol to be written.

Quote:

Playing with the Notes is not clear to me. I can see the notes going into export (perfect for those Pronto translations), but what is it that can move up and down?

You can select the various signals and order them in the window. You can also delete individual learns that didn't capture nicely. When you get everything you captured you can select them all they'll export in that nice neat order. This gives you a nice list of Pronto or UEI codes to work with. I have worked behind you Liz, I know you like things neat and orderly!

Quote:

Also how would you use the exported UEI decodes? Stick'm into Raw tab in IR??

You've been using an extender too long Elizabeth. Wink When you have a Learn Tab, you can transfer a learn from one remote to another. I do that when someone has a learns that don't decode. If I don't have their remote, I transfer the learns to my Atlas, to shoot at the IRScope to see what they look like.

Graham once said to me that no two people use IRScope the same way, and that is becoming more and more clear.

ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Well, suppose you had a signal that there was no protocol written?
You could export the learns and paste them into a learning remote while waiting for the protocol to be written.
Got it! Positively brilliant.

Quote:
You can select the various signals and order them in the window. You can also delete individual learns that didn't capture nicely.
That's what I gathered from the discussion. Very useful. But I can't get move up and down to move anything. I do select a row, and push the arrow keys and nothing moves.

Quote:
When you have a Learn Tab, you can transfer a learn from one remote to another. I do that when someone has a learns that don't decode. If I don't have their remote, I transfer the learns to my Atlas, to shoot at the IRScope to see what they look like.
Very cool. Got it.
Thanks, Vicky.
Oh, and thanks to Graham of course for expanding my horizons! Brilliant piece of work.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:

vickyg2003 wrote:
You can select the various signals and order them in the window. You can also delete individual learns that didn't capture nicely.
That's what I gathered from the discussion. Very useful. But I can't get move up and down to move anything. I do select a row, and push the arrow keys and nothing moves.

Ahh, I see the problem. You press the Up and Down SCREEN BUTTONS, not the up and down arrow keys.

Try it, you like it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: