JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Atlas 1056B01: Extender only way to get more than 5 Devices?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLPicard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Atlas 1056B01: Extender only way to get more than 5 Devices? Reply with quote

Title says it. Do I have to go to using an extender if I want to control more than the 5 devices that Atlas supports? I am just getting the hang of using Upgrades. 'Confused'

I have Amp, BluRay, Cable, TV, Ipod Dock, X10 Lighting w/IR543.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An extender uses a special protocol called a multiplexer that changes setup codes on the fly. Some remotes allow a multiplexer to be used without an extender, but as far as I know, the JP1.3 remotes don't have any standalone multiplexers because of the E2 area is handled differently than most remotes.

However even though a standalone multiplexer isn't available doesn't mean that the unit will only handle 5 devices. You can still use one device mode to handle more than one device by utilizing keymoves.

The Atlas has lots of room for keymoves and lots of keys. So you should be able to do this easily.

It seems to me that an ipod doesn't require a bunch of keys, maybe you can add that to the AMP in AUD mode.

When you press each device button(Aux,DVD,AUD,TV,CBL), it will change setup codes, BUT keymoves don't access that device-mode-setup code. Keymoves remember their own setup code. So they send out whatever kind of signal the setup code sends.

KEYMOVES are the key.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Vicky said, the iPod remote really doens't need that many buttons.

you could map them via keymoves to the blue ray or audio setup (i.e. you could use the number buttons when the blue ray device is set to do 2=up, 5=select,8=down, 4=left and 6=right as a thought)

The device multiplex is a good feature, but overkill for what you need.

(you will still need the ipod upgrade to map those keys to the keymoves, but won't assign the ipod to a device button)

of course, the extender is a fine piece of work by a really talented person so I'm sure that you'll be very happy with it!
JLPicard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, the Ipod docking station will require very few keys indeed, probably half a dozen. I won't even need to control the volume of the IPOD itself, just the volume of my Onkyo. I just yesterday figured out how to install upgrades with RM-IR, and have figured out some simple Macros without much difficulty, however I can't seem to find anything written for a true newbie on how to program a keymove.

Can I get a nudge in the right direction? I have found out WHAT a keymove it just not HOW to program one correctly.

Thanks for the help!
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in RM or RMIR you can program a key move

What the key move is the ability to "move" a key value from one device to another.

So, for example, you add the Apple ipod device to your list of devices as Audio 2000

on your onkyo, you would then enter a key move that binds to the "4" key device AUD/2000 and button "volume up"

So when you push the 4 button when on your receiver, the remote will substitute the commadn that comes with the ipod AUD/2000 volume up.

(actually there are two types of key moves on some of the newer remotes, including the JP1.3 that can either bind a "key" value or bind a "hex" value in the key move. either will do the trick for you)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLPicard wrote:

Can I get a nudge in the right direction? I have found out WHAT a keymove it just not HOW to program one correctly.

Thanks for the help!

As uncllemiltie said, keymoves can be set up in RM, but that is only for keys that don't reside in the device-type-keymap. You'll need to add these keymoves by hand in the keymoves tab of RMIR or IR.

Here are some instructions about setting up a keymove in IR, the procedure is similar for RMIR.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Key_Moves

The device code needs to be added in the upgrade space via the device tab.

Once the setup code is added to the upgrade space, it can be used for keymoves. Since your setup code will not be assigned to a device key, you'll need to type it in when creating keymoves. The remote needs both the device type and code number to find the correct setup code. When you create your keymove, make sure that you have the correct information for both device type and setup code, so the remote can locate the setup code or the remote might hang.

You can set these keymoves up by using the keycode or the EFC's from the functions page in RM. Since you are using a device from the upgrade area, RMIR allows you to set up your efc style keymoves using a list of FUNCTION names. This is very convenient feature in RMIR.

The Atlas remotes have plenty of space, so you don't need to be too concerned about the number of bytes you are using, but knowing you, I think you might be concerned. Keycode keymoves, take one less byte of (keymove macro space) than EFC style keymoves, but they require that the buttons be assigned in the setup code, using more bytes in the upgrade space if this is not a built-in setup code. Keycode style keymoves are an easy way of pulling information out of built-in setup codes because you just need to know what key a function is assigned to, not the EFC.

Hope that helps.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you re-think your remote setup so things are more activity based, rather than device based, you might find things easier to set up. For example, do you still use your TV as a stand alone device, or do you really just use it as a way to watch other devices, such as your Bluray and cable? If so, apart from needing to turn it on (which can be done via a power-on macro) what do you need to control? Likewise for the amp.
JLPicard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If you re-think your remote setup so things are more activity based, rather than device based, you might find things easier to set up. For example, do you still use your TV as a stand alone device, or do you really just use it as a way to watch other devices, such as your Bluray and cable? If so, apart from needing to turn it on (which can be done via a power-on macro) what do you need to control? Likewise for the amp.
Wow that is right, I need very little control over the TV as a matter of fact. The Amp does all my switching for me, aside from once in a blue moon I decide to mess with any of the video settings. No reason to tie up all the keys on the Device TV mode. The amp on the other hand I do require quite a bit of control over, but I had never considered combining devices. I don't see why I couldn't control my TV, IPOD, heck prolly my AC as well within one device. WOOT! Thanks, you guys are pretty amazing. I'm kinda digging this remote hacking stuff, sure beats the old days of Cell Phone haxxing, don't have to worry about bricking your equipment when it costs only $15!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your amp does all the switching, I'm guessing that you have amp buttons that select the right input for the device that's being used. If so, may I suggest a new strategy for you.

Is there a button on your remote that doesn't serve much purpose at the moment? If so, you could set it aside to be your "all purpose" input select button. Then keymove the correct input select to each of the device modes. For example, keymove the button that selects the Bluray input to this button in DVD mode. Keymove the button that selects the cable input to this button in CBL mode, etc.

Then, when the remote is in DVD mode, you just press this button to select the DVD player, you don't need to switch to AMP mode to do it. You could also include this button in your start up macros.
JLPicard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, The way I am doing it now is that I assign a macro to a device button. If I am about to use my Blu Ray, I have the macro on the DVD button, that goes to the AMP, selects the DVD input, then goes back to the DVD. I don't actually use any of the input buttons for the AMP to do that. Is that a bad way of doing it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: