JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Emotiva UMC-1 and Comcast Remote
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robjamell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: company says no way to do it Reply with quote

I want to buy an Emotiva UMC-1 receiver, but Emotiva is telling me there is no way to control volume on their receiver with the Comcast remote.

Can that be true? I know I can use the universal, but I have a wife, kid, parents and in-law situation where they are all familiar with Comcast remote.

Thanks
Rob
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an Emotiva PreAmp in our upgrade area, and that has a Nec1 0,191 setup code which is rarely found in UEI remotes.

There is no way to tell whether the receiver uses the same code or not. If it did there is no way to send it with the Comcast without a cable.

If it is a different code, then we'd need to capture it with a learning remote, in order to analyze it and see what needs to be done.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emotiva publishes the IR codes on their website in Pronto Hex format.
For the Emotiva UMC-1 Metal, the IR protocol is NEC1 Device 32, subdevice 95.

An unmodified Comcast remote cannot generate these signals.

I agree that the Comcast remotes are nice, and our family uses 3 of them. You can add an upgrade to the Comcast remote which will control the UMC-1. Adding such upgrades is the main focus of this website.

It's easy: You buy (or make) a JP1 flash cable, and then upload an upgrade using the program RemoteMaster (free on this site). I'll make an upgrade file for you if you decide to do this.

I recommend the JP1 cable made by Tommy Tyler. The cost is pretty low compared to the Emotiva
robjamell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - you guys are impressive! Thanks

Just to make sure, you are saying that if I buy the $29 cable and the Emotiva UMC-1 and have a Comcast DVR remote, I am good?

When you say I need an unmodified remote, what does that mean?

Also, my remotes have been programed to control my current Yamaha receiver and I did the 30 sec skip feature.

Am I ok?

Rob
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Emotiva publishes the IR codes on their website in Pronto Hex format.
For the Emotiva UMC-1 Metal, the IR protocol is NEC1 Device 32, subdevice 95.

An unmodified Comcast remote cannot generate these signals.

Nice find 3FG. I really like manufacturer's like this that make it easy for us.
http://emotiva.com/umc1/remoteCodes_1-25-11.pdf

Quote:

I agree that the Comcast remotes are nice, and our family uses 3 of them.

Comcast remotes are wonderful. They have such a nice key layout!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: company says no way to do it Reply with quote

robjamell wrote:
I want to buy an Emotiva UMC-1 receiver, but Emotiva is telling me there is no way to control volume on their receiver with the Comcast remote.

Can that be true? I know I can use the universal, but I have a wife, kid, parents and in-law situation where they are all familiar with Comcast remote.

Thanks
Rob

That's Cuz they never met the people on this group. In general, if something makes an IR signal, we can make one of the remotes supported with our tools do something. You'll need a cable to make it happen, but that's a small investment. As was suggested, Tommy's cables are awesome, I've been using them for years.

There have been a few cases of IR protocols that don't fit within the capabilities of the remotes, but they are very few and far between.

-bill
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robjamell wrote:

Just to make sure, you are saying that if I buy the $29 cable and the Emotiva UMC-1 and have a Comcast DVR remote, I am good?
When you say I need an unmodified remote, what does that mean?
Also, my remotes have been programed to control my current Yamaha receiver and I did the 30 sec skip feature.

Yes everything will be fine. By unmodified, I just meant that without loading an upgrade, the Comcast wouldn't work.
You can retain any existing programming by downloading from the remote before adding an upgrade
cfwells

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Emotiva UMC-1 and Comcast Remote Reply with quote

I would like to program the volume deys on my Comcast remote to control the volume of a Emotiva UMC-1. I have the JP1.3 cable, the pronto hex remote codes for the UMC and I can download the current configuration of the remote to IR.exe. But I cannot get the key move to accept the pronto hex code, which had a word length of 4. I have no idea of what I am really doing and I could use some guidance. Thanks cfwells
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't paste Pronto hex into a key move.

When you download from your Comcast remote using IR.exe, what signature does it show?

Please post the pronto hex here for us to look at.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you choose a remote that has learning, you can post the pronto hex as a learn to get the decode of the pronto hex.

cfwells

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the volume + code
0000 006D 0022 0002 0157 00AB 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0040 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0040 0016 0040 0016 0040 0016 0040 0016 0040 0016 0015 0016 0040 0016 0015 0016 0040 0016 0040 0016 0015 0016 0040 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0015 0016 0040 0016 0015 0016 0040 0016 0040 0016 0040 0016 0040 0016 05E7 0157 0055 0016 0E3B

From this website I got this info

For the Emotiva UMC-1 Metal, the IR protocol is NEC1 Device 32, subdevice 95

I am not certain what you mean by signature but I will take a shot and say;
Comcast DVR URC-10678x3 JP1.3

I am using window7 ane when I connected THe JP1 cable I did not have to install any drivers manually. Is this normal ?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your remote signature is "30393039'.

The only setup code that matches NEC1 32.95 is TV/1373, but unfortunately that setup code is not in the Comcast URC-1067BX3 remote, so you would need to add an upgrade.
cfwells

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops looks like $34 down the drain for the cable. Is there any kind of guide out there that could help do the upgrade. There was talk of making a umc-1 upgrade but I could not find the finished product. Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfwells wrote:
oops looks like $34 down the drain for the cable.

What brings you to that conclusion? If you could have done this with a simple key move, you wouldn't have needed the cable. You need the cable BECAUSE you need an upgrade.

cfwells wrote:
Is there any kind of guide out there that could help do the upgrade. There was talk of making a umc-1 upgrade but I could not find the finished product. Thanks

Are you serious? Have you looked at the wiki? Where did you get the pronto hex from? If they have the complete set of codes, we can build an upgrade from that.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
cfwells wrote:
oops looks like $34 down the drain for the cable.

What brings you to that conclusion? If you could have done this with a simple key move, you wouldn't have needed the cable. You need the cable BECAUSE you need an upgrade

Yeah, what brings you to that conclusion?

I found a list of the Emotiva Functions here
http://emotiva.com/umc1/remoteCodes_1-25-11.pdf

I created an Emotiva Upgrade
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10074

I think its some sort of audio device so I stuck it in Audio, If that's not what it is could where would it belong?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: