JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pioneer 2dev/3dev buttons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arantius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Pioneer 2dev/3dev buttons Reply with quote

I'm trying to set up my Pioneer receiver. I learned some codes and spent a while getting _most_ of it working. I uploaded both the learned data and my full config: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10007

I figured 2dev makes sense, because I see usually one, sometimes two OBCs, always the same device (165), across even more buttons than in that learned sample (it contains the most important ones). Try as I might, 2dev never worked. I got 3dev to mostly work, based on some examples of other Pioneer devices in the upgrade section. One button that's quite important though, learned as "1" there is OBC 92/192, and I can't get it to work.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1125
This link sounds related, given that the code I'm interested in, on learned button "1", is 92/192, and 192 which is bigger than 2^5. RMIR just empties out the second box when I type 192 into it. The button with a second OBC I've got working for sure has a very low number for the second OBC (6). So that's got to be it right?

At the moment, I'm on an extended 8910, so no learning. That seems to mean I'll need to play the keymove-from-2dev trick but I'm not clear what to do exactly. As I said, all attempts to use 2dev have failed for me.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pioneer 2dev/3dev buttons Reply with quote

arantius wrote:
I'm trying to set up my Pioneer receiver.

If I can be so bold. What is the exact model of the Pioneer receiver?

EDIT: nevermind, it is listed as Pioneer VSX-521-K in your IR files.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pioneer 2dev/3dev buttons Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it helps, but I recorded the IR signals from the respective device profile on the Logitech Harmony Database. Here are the output files from the JP1 tools.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend using the Pioneer 4DEV executor. It isn't limited to 2^5 in the second OBC. The protocol upgrade takes 65 bytes, but you would use that up in keymoves pretty quickly if you need to add a few functions. It's easy to use-- just fill in the OBCs. Here's a good starter file: VSX 1018 using 4 DEV. Be sure to work in OBCs and not EFCs.

You don't need to learn or guess at the codes, since Pioneer provides a spreadsheet with the codes (writen in hexadecimal notation, but A55C+A5C0 means 165 92 + 165 192. You can use the Windows calculator in Scientific mode to convert.)
Pioneer IR codes
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pioneer 2dev/3dev buttons Reply with quote

Edit: I was laughing as I wrote this reprimand, so please don't be offended

arantius wrote:

At the moment, I'm on an extended 8910, so no learning.

What a poor excuse for not using learning. Rolling Eyes People are often reluctant to try an extender because they are afraid that re-purposing the large learning memory area for keymoves and macros will make it so that their remotes no longer learn. With the 8910 you can erase the extender and enable learning by simply taking the batteries out, pressing any button to discharge the remote, reinstalling the batteries and doing a reset *981 command. You are now free to do all the learning you need to do, and when you are done you can upload your extender back into the remote.

Now if you had said the head-to-head learning process is too difficult you would have had my complete support. Laughing I hated doing that, especially before I read the instructions more carefully and found that you could learn multiple keys without having to do the *975 commands between learns.

Note: The deactivation procedure for JP1.3 remotes is different. Please consult your extender documentation for the details.
arantius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> What a poor excuse for not using learning

What that statement means is that I can't learn into _that_ configuration. I did indeed reset to default and do learning to discover the fact that the code I wanted was 92+192 (none of the master lists I've found so fare are new enough to have the "BD" blu-ray input button, but I hadn't seen the official link before) -- as I explained in the original post. I just can't learn into the extender. I have to come up with an upgrade to do it. That's the point of this post.

> I recommend using the Pioneer 4DEV executor.

That seems to work!

> The protocol upgrade takes 65 bytes, but you would use that up in keymoves pretty quickly if you need to add a few functions.

RMIR seems to be putting all my shifted keys in keymoves anyway (which is probably necessary) and I have more move/macro memory free than upgrade memory, but either way this is working great now, so thanks!!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arantius wrote:
> I just can't learn into the extender. I have to come up with an upgrade to do it. That's the point of this post.

Okay if you had said, "I can't use learns with an extender" you would have said something that would not be misleading to potential extender users.

Quote:

RMIR seems to be putting all my shifted keys in keymoves anyway (which is probably necessary) and I have more move/macro memory free than upgrade memory, but either way this is working great now, so thanks!!

Each device type has a keymap, which determines which keys can be used in the upgrade. This keymap-device=type relationship is determined by the remote. Shifted keys are not usually included in the keymap, so they are always implemented as keymoves. You will notice that sometimes changing from TV/Cbl/DVR will change which keys are in the upgrade and which will be included as keymoves.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
arantius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Okay if you had said, "I can't use learns with an extender"

Sorry, thought that was a given.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
I recommend using the Pioneer 4DEV executor. It isn't limited to 2^5 in the second OBC. The protocol upgrade takes 65 bytes, but you would use that up in keymoves pretty quickly if you need to add a few functions. It's easy to use-- just fill in the OBCs. Here's a good starter file: VSX 1018 using 4 DEV. Be sure to work in OBCs and not EFCs.

Doh! I didn't notice there was a secondary device (164) along with the 165 device. That made me realize OP's problem with the 3DEV and used the 4DEV protocol as recommended. The device column has been updated as necessary and layouts has been assigned.

Updated the RMDU: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10009
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arantius wrote:
> Okay if you had said, "I can't use learns with an extender"

Sorry, thought that was a given.

Well, it is to the well informed. But as an extender writer, I've gotten lots of PM's where people are still voicing the concern about the loss of learning if they use my extender.

What is even more amazing to me, is that so few users actually use an extender. My extenders have hardly been downloaded at all. I would have thought they would have been downloaded out of curiosity at least.

After using an extender, could you go back?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wish to have lots of functions programmed to shifted buttons, and you are not using all of the device buttons already, you could use a 2nd device button to hold a 2nd upgrade with all of the "shifted" functions programmed in it (though not on shifted buttons obviously). It looks like your CD button is free.

If you are using all 8 device buttons already, you could consider using the "device multiplexor". This is a tool that lets you stack multiple setup codes onto a single device button. Think of it as a one button way to switch setup codes. Using the DM you could create two upgrades, one for the regular buttons and one for the functions that you wish to have on shifted buttons (but assign them to un-shifted buttons in the upgrade). Then pick two "spare" buttons to work the DM. You could, for example, set the PIP button to be "normal" and the "MOVE" button to be "shifted". Then, when you want to use a shifted function, instead of pressing the SETUP button, you would press MOVE and this would put the remote into "shifted" mode. The main difference using this method is that the remote will stay in shifted mode until you bring it back, using the PIP button. You can tell which mode you are in by looking at the setup code number displayed on the LCD screen.

Looking at your IR file, I see that most of your shifted functions are the input select codes for your receiver and your TV. Therefore, I have an alternative suggestion for you. Instead of putting these functions on shifted device buttons, you could instead program them to a spare button in the device mode that needs them. For example, you could designate the L1 button as your all purpose "receiver input select" button and the L2 button as your all purpose "TV input select" button, then in CBL mode, for example, you would program the "HDMI 1: Discrete Select" TV function to the L2 button and your current RCVR/shift-CBL function to the L1 button. You would repeat this process for all the other input select codes, moving the keymoves to the L1 and L2 buttons in the appropriate device mode. You would then re-program your macros to use these functions. The main benefit being that the functions are easily accessible to you, in case you need them, when you're using the remote.
arantius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input.

As of right now, I'm not under memory pressure, and being able to remember that "Shift-X sets input to the X" is a lot easier than "L1 sets input to the X", times a bunch across the receiver and TV's inputs. Makes working with the macros and what not easier. If I get to the point where I'm out of memory and want to add things, then I'll have to take stuff off the easier-to-remember shifted buttons. (Though to be honest, now I still have to remember things like "CD sets input to the PS2" which is almost as bad ;-) )

I have no idea why the examples that I found all used 164 as the second device code. Learned signals had 165 as both. But everything is working now and I'm happy.

Thanks for your help everybody.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you should go with whatever works for you, but just to be sure that you understand the idea, it's like this...

In CBL mode, L1 selects the TV input for CBL and L2 selects the RCVR input for CBL.
In DVD mode, L1 selects the TV input for DVD and L2 selects the RCVR input for DVD.
In SAT mode, L1 selects the TV input for SAT and L2 selects the RCVR input for SAT.

So, if you're setting up a macro for the DVD player for example, instead of doing this...

set TV mode
select DVD input
set RCVR mode
select DVD input
set DVD mode

you could do this...

set DVD mode
press L1 (tv input)
press L2 (rcvr input)

you could even put macros on the device buttons themselves that do the above 3 steps if you like.
arantius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! No I didn't quite get that at first. I'm switching to RCA remotes with a new USB cable for 1.x soon; I might rebuild them from scratch with a scheme like that. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: