JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RF Remote "Extender" - this is cool

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: RF Remote "Extender" - this is cool Reply with quote

OK, so I wasn't convinced that this thing would work but for $35 I figured it was worth a try, especially since I could get it at Amazon and they take damned near anything back if you're not satisfied

Next Generation Remote Control Extender

This is way cool... If you're looking for something that will take your IR signal and repeat it to somewhere that is not a line of sight without running wires, this is the ticket.

How it works (actually I have yet to figure out how it really works) is that you take out one of the batteries in your IR remote and put in this 2/3 size battery that slips into a sleeve that also has an RF transmitter in it. Then you put the receiver end over by all of the things you want to control and either use the spaceship looking thing to retransmit the IR or use one of their wired bugs that stick to your equipment.

Amazing. Like I said, I was skeptical but I shoved their little battery thing into my Atlas (3033 backlit with the extender in it) and low and behold it works like a champ. Can't figure out how it's doing this but it's pretty neat. No wires to run, just shove the battery/transmitter into the remote and you're good to go.

The kit comes with two of the batteries and the flying saucer also has a battery charger in it so when one goes dead the other is ready for action.

Way cool!
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can read the corresponding patent.

Quote:
The transceiver has a detector for detecting a radio frequency pulse accompanying a first infrared signal generated from the infrared remote controller and a transmitter for generating a radio frequency signal in response to the radio frequency pulse.

MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, works great, I have it in both 433 mhz and 418 mhz versions. The 433 one is only being used to recharge the batteries now, since the 418 one interacts great with my URC RF remotes. I don't use it in any remotes at the moment, just IR keyboard for my MSNTV2 terminal. So the URC RF remotes and IR keyboard can use the same RF basestation to communicate from the other rooms.
strimmer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Next Generation Remote Control Extender-433 mhz RF Reply with quote

I wanted to add my 2 cents. I have the Next Generation Remote Control Extender that I am using with My Atlas UEI 1056B01 Remote to control a Scientific Atlanta DVR from Times Warner HDC8300, a Sony STRDG920 Video Amp, and a Sony Bravia TV.

The tuner and the cable box are in a closet so I use the Next Gen to control the system. This is working very well.

I am trying to add a Roku HD device, but so far have not found the necessary codes. Any help please post and email. I am thinking about a Widget to capture the code, I use Tommy's USB JP1.3 Cable to apply changes.

Thanks
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried any of the Roku upgrades from the file section?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
strimmer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Roku Reply with quote

Thanks, somehow I missed this group of references. I'll work on it later.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea, but don't like giving up my Eneloops.

Seems like there should be more than enough room to solder the transmitter and mount it inside an Atlas?

xnappo
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to look up what an eneloop is. I thought we were not supposed to use rechargeables in these remotes.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I had to look up what an eneloop is. I thought we were not supposed to use rechargeables in these remotes.

In some conditions unrechargable Alkaline batteries are not suitable, especially in environments which sustain high temperatures. But, we already had this discussion. Personally, I prefer Lithium Batteries (recharable or not) over the Alkaline, Nickel Metal Hydride, or Nickel Cadmium.

The biggest thing I worry about using rechargable batteries is browning out the electronics since most recharable batteries have a lower voltage rating than non-recharable batteries. I had one too many walkmans die after six months due to use of 1.2V rechargable batteries that not even replacing them with 1.5V batteries would resurrect them.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

The big problem with rechargables historically(NiCd and NiMh) is that they has a low shelf life. That makes them horrible for things like remote controls, because just sitting on the coffee table, they die after a month.

Eneloops and other LSD (low self discharge, unfortunate TLA Very Happy ) are NIMH batteries with a long shelf life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_self-discharge_NiMH_battery

I have been using them since around 2007 in remotes. They work great and waste less.

xnappo
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic info. I had no idea those existed. Where do you buy yours?
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Fantastic info. I had no idea those existed. Where do you buy yours?

Amazon.

There are several brands now, Amazon makes their own(AmazonBasics pre-charged) .

This site has EXCELLENT comparisons. I am actually trying some of the cheaper Tenergy Centurons(fine so far), but try name brand first so you don't get soured on 'em Smile

http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/low_self_discharge.html

xnappo
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: