JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for codes: Yamaha RX-V671 AV rcvr
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Looking for codes: Yamaha RX-V671 AV rcvr Reply with quote

Hi - I know there are a few Yamaha experts here, so I thought I'd ask before I roll up my sleeves and try to figure these out.

The latest round of Yamaha receivers has some features not in previous units -- e.g. Pandora -- and I was wondering is anybody knows what codes might address such features.

Also, is there a means of accessing the Zone 2 commands? I wasn't able to get mine to respond to the few Zone 2 commands that were available in earlier Yamaha code sets.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.... chico

[EDIT]Changed subject from RX-V761 to RX-V671
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RX-V761 is 4 years old or so, and I wouldn't describe it as the latest. Do you mean RX-V671?

If so, look at this page. Look in YNC\doc

Pandora:7F01-85FA (Zone 1) 7F01-86F9 (Zone 2)

These are NEC1-y1 signals. One way to send them is to use the NEC 4DEV Yamaha Combo executor.

Device 127 OBC 133 and 134, I think.

Last edited by 3FG on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
The RX-V761 is 4 years old or so, and I wouldn't describe it as the latest. Do you mean RX-V671?

If so, look at this page.

I checked both RX-V761 and RX-V671 on the Harmony Database, there's nothing listed about Pandora on the available remote commands. However, there were buttons for iPod media player commands.

Incidentally, couldn't you use the menu and directional buttons to navigate the Pandora or Rhapsody menus? Or are you simply looking for a discrete button to call up these network services?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my edits above.
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@3FG: My dyslexic mistake, I meant RX-V671. Don't you love the Yamaha product numbering systems? Seemingly random, or at least confusing enough that you can't tell the new from the old by the product numbers.

But no complaints about the way they implement discretes for just about everything, then don't hide the info as if it were top secret.

Thanks for the info.

@eferz: Yes, I could do the scroll but I wanted to hit a single key for Pandora, another for internet radio, etc. The discretes allow me to do so. Makes things easier for the other members of the household ("Press THIS button for Pandora. Done.")

...chico
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have enough room in the 2116 to include the 4DEV Yamaha Combo executor? And do you need some help implementing it, since you may not have had any reason to fiddle with it before? You'll want device 122, 126, and 127, I believe.
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you have enough room in the 2116 to include the 4DEV Yamaha Combo executor? And do you need some help implementing it, since you may not have had any reason to fiddle with it before? You'll want device 122, 126, and 127, I believe.

Thanks for the offer of help. I may need some.

Here's what I've got so far. I'm running a 2116 with extender 3. I have most of my other devices up and running in it. I've overflowed my device memory and IR is using learned/advanced code memory. For my Yamaha , I installed a button modified version of this:

Yamaha RX-V2065 http://wdw.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8736

Most of the codes work but some don't, which is why I was requesting codes specific to this unit (RX-V671). But I see that Yamaha is pretty consistent about their codes across product lines, so there must be something wrong with my install, probably the additional protocols required.

The download page for that device says "This upgrade requires your remote to have the NEC 5A and Yamaha Gap Helper protocols (see http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=89548#89548)

I used these two links to get the protocols:

Rob's NEC 5A protocol:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3785

Vickyg's Yamaha Gap Helper protocol:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7545

In order to install the NEC protocol, I opened the text file from Rob http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3785
and copied and pasted the hex code block into the protocols section of IR. That may not have been the correct way to install the protocol…

OK, as I write this, and read additional Yamaha threads, I see that this is a fairly complicated protocol to set up, and I also see that there are a bunch of things I might have done wrong. Plus I don't yet understand how to convert the codes in the document you pointed me to into ones I can type into RM.

Whew. Yes, indeed, any help would be greatly appreciated! Confused
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chico,
I think you'll be much better off to use the NEC 4DEV Yamaha Combo executor, since it can handle multiple device numbers. The NEC 5A protocol in conjunction with Vicky's gap helper protocol will work, but in my opinion that approach was a stopgap until Rob wrote the NEC 4DEV Yamaha Combo protocol executor. It's built into RM 2.01 and later.

So I would use the upgrades to get the OBC and device numbers and copy the column of OBCs to a second instance of RM which has the Yamaha combo selected as the protocol.

You can get additional device and OBCs from the Yamaha spreadsheet. For example, the entry for USB Main is 7F01-720D
7F is the hexadecimal representation of the device number 7*16+15=127
01 is the subdevice number. (if device + subdevice =255, then by convention we just describe this as device and don't mention the subdevice). So this is 127.1

72 is the hex of the OBC 7*16+2 =114. 0D is almost the complement of 72, but not quite, and we describe this variant as Style y1. You'll see how to enter these in RM once you specify the Yamaha Combo.

The zone 2 signal for USB is Style y3. That's another reason to use the Yamaha Combo protocol executor-- it can send y3 signals, but the gap helper protocol can't.
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
chico,
I think you'll be much better off to use the NEC 4DEV Yamaha Combo executor, since it can handle multiple device numbers. The NEC 5A protocol in conjunction with Vicky's gap helper protocol will work, but in my opinion that approach was a stopgap until Rob wrote the NEC 4DEV Yamaha Combo protocol executor. It's built into RM 2.01 and later.

Got it, makes sense. I didn't realize things had progressed beyond the threads I used as my info sources.

I'll get to work on this and see where my next roadblock occurs. By the way, I'm using the standalone IR, not RM IR, because I can't yet figure out RM IR's way of adding devices and protocols, plus it gives me error messages and tells me I'm out of memory while the standalone IR seems easier to make work. Am I making a mistake on this?

Quote:
The zone 2 signal for USB is Style y3. That's another reason to use the Yamaha Combo protocol executor-- it can send y3 signals, but the gap helper protocol can't.

Aha. That might be why some of my codes are working and some aren't.

More questions to come, undoubtedly. But I'll do my homework first...

Thank you... chico
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to prefer RMIR, but I don't have any experience using it with an extender, so I don't know how well it handles things like overflowing the upgrade area in to the learned memory area.

Anyway RM + IR works fine, and it sounds like you're making pretty good progress with that approach.
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's where I'm at:

RM v2.01:

New Device > RS2116 Ex 3

Setup Tab:
Setup Code: 1113
Device 1: 122
Device 2: 126
Device 3: 127 sub device 1

Functions Tab:
I borrowed a bunch of functions from an RX-V567 which uses the Yamaha 4DEV combiner:
Yamaha RX-V567(RCRP05B).txt

For example, a simple function, VOLUME UP:

From the Excel sheet: Code ID1 = 7A-1A

I set:

OBC = 26 ; decimal (1A)
Dev Sub = 122 ; decimal (7E)
NStyle = NEC1 ; not sure how these are defined
YStyle = NEC ; not sure how these are defined

Assign: Button Volume Up = Function VOLUME UP

Output Tab:
Copy Device Upgrade Code

IR (standalone version 8.03):
Add Device
Assign to Device Button AUDIO
Upload to remote.

….Doesn't work. Did I miss something in the process?

Last edited by chico_woodhill on Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...although here's a weird one: I just found out that my mute key is mapped to function Volume Up. So SOMETHING is happening, but I can't see what.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than describing how you set up a file, better to give us the actual file to look at. To do so, navigate to the file section using the link at the top of this page, then go to the Diagnosis Area and upload a copy of any files that you think we should see. Then go back to the folder to get the links for the files and post them here, to save us having to search for them.
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rather than describing how you set up a file, better to give us the actual file to look at.

OK, I will. First I'm going to start over from scratch, try this device upgrade with no extender, see if it works that way. If it doesn't, I'll get those files to you guys. If it does, I'll keep advancing until it fails, and that's what I'll provide. Trying to keep as few complications as possible. Who knows, maybe I'll find the problem during this phase.

Thanks for all the help so far...
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(OK, I'm back to JP1 from a weeklong business trip. Now on to more JP1...)

I've uploaded my diagnostic files. Pertinent info:

Remote: Radio Shack RS-2116
Equipment: Yamaha RX-V671

Remotemaster Version: 2.01
IR Version: 8.03

Files:
Remote Dump (IR 8.03): http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9948
Device File: Yamaha RX765_NEC_Yam_4DEV.rdmu ( Yamaha RX-V765 http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9183 )
(Note: to keep things simple I'm testing with this existing file from the JP1 devices archive, with no modifications by me. Also, no other devices are included in this remote upgrade.)

Background: After following the Yamaha GAP code saga from various threads, I first used the NEC 5A protocol in conjunction with Vicky's gap helper protocol to create an IR file that did a decent job of controlling my Yamaha receiver. But when querying why a few codes wouldn't work correctly, 3FG responded that I should use the more recent IR which incorporates the NEC 4DEV Yamaha protocols to access the y2 and y3 protocols, as well as the NEC and y1 protocols.

I have done that but cannot get it to work properly. Even though the functions are properly assigned to buttons in the device upgrade, they don't work correctly in the remote. For example, the POWER button functions as the VOLUME DOWN function, and the MUTE button functions as the VOLUME UP button. The codes in the functions list of this device correspond to the Yamaha documentation I have.

I'm sure I've done something dumb here, but after hours of pounding away I haven't been able to pinpoint my mistake. The uploaded diagnostic files are a test load for an RS-2116 with only one device: the Yamaha RX765, unmodified by me that, as far as I can tell, should use more or less the same codes as my Yamaha RX-671 (according to the comprehensive Yamaha documentation: http://www.awe-europe.com/documents/Yamaha_YNC_YNCA_Spec_UK_Ireland_Docs.zip , in YNC\doc).

Can anyone enlighten me about just what I'm doing wrong here? Please let me know if additional files or info are needed.

Thanks….chico
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: