JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Toshiba TV Upgrade works with URC-8060 but not with URC-8206

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LMolland

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Toshiba TV Upgrade works with URC-8060 but not with URC-8206 Reply with quote

Hi, I have learned all the buttons from my new Toshiba TV (42VL863) and created a device upgrade which works fine in my URC-8060 1st Gen UK Kameleon.

When I then modify the upgrade to use it with my URC-8206 2nd Gen UK Kameleon, it does not work correctly. Some of the buttons operate the wrong functions and some do nothing.

The upgrade for the 8060 needed a protocol upgrade, but the upgrade for the 8206 did not... I assume the required protocol is already present on the 8206.

The remote signatures seem correct, KAMEKAM0 for the 8060 and 10211021 for the 8206.

Can anyone suggest anything I might have done wrong? I can provide the IR.exe files and of course the KM files if they help. (I tried the 8206 upgrade from both Keymap Master and in Remote Master without success.)

Thanks, Lester
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,
Please upload both the KM and IR files.
LMolland

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 3FG,
I've Zipped the two IR files and the two KM files.

I've also added another URC-8206 IR file just to show a few "learned" items; the item on button "C" is a different sub-device but I think my choice of protocol for the original URC-8060 upgrade was right because it works OK? (I found it interesting that this button is the 3D/2D button for my 3D television and it has the Hex command 3D.)

I hope this is the link to the file:-
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9854

It's named... URC-8060 vs URC-8206.zip

Thanks very much
Lester
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester,
By loading the 8060 and 8206 IR files in to RMIR, it is easy to see that all of the OBCs are in the 8206 are shifted by 2 buttons from where they should be.

For example, button "1" should have OBC=1, but it actually has OBC=3. Button "8" should have OBC=8, but it actually has OBC=26, which is Vol+. Vol+ is 2 buttons lower in the list of buttons.

I suspect that KM9.21 doesn't handle the 8206 correctly. For example, it thinks that the 8206 has NEC 2DEV Combo built in, and doesn't have NEC 4DEV Combo. The opposite is actually true. So I speculate that the button scan codes may also be incorrect.

I think the simplest fix is to load the 8060 KM file into RM. That should tell you the OBC for each function. Open a second instance of RM, set the remote type to 8206, setup the NEC 4DEV Combo, then copy and paste the OBCs onto the function tab. You'll need to make the OBC line up with the correct function names. Then you can copy the upgrade from the Output tab to IR. I would have just done this for you, but I don't know how you want to assign the various functions to the buttons on the 8206.

A few of the long-time users here will probably strongly disagree, but in my opinion, most of us should be using RMIR to work with our remotes. It's a heck of a lot easier.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Lester,
suspect that KM9.21 doesn't handle the 8206 correctly. For example, it thinks that the 8206 has NEC 2DEV Combo built in, and doesn't have NEC 4DEV Combo. The opposite is actually true. So I speculate that the button scan codes may also be incorrect.

Yes, Lester found a bug in KM. KM is allowing Nec 2Dev Combo (PID 011A) but the 8206 as (PID 011A variant 2) which is the Nec 4Dev Combo. KM should not have allowed that selection.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
LMolland

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help 3FG!

I tried RMIR and could see exactly what you meant regarding the 2 button offset. I had the original list of OBC's in KM, so I just decided to just enter all the correct OBC details directly in the RMIR editor and then uploaded it to the URC-8206 remote.

It worked a treat! I think I'll play around with RMIR some more too, because I suspect it may prove to be a more straightforward "All-in-one" tool. I'll see how I get on.

I'm glad you and Vickyg2003 were able to find the bug... I was baffled but couldn't see what was wrong.

I've now got several models of the Kameleons (+ parallel & USB JP* cables) because I wanted to "future-proof" myself regarding JP*; I find it so useful.

It's great to know (and much appreciated) that you experts will spare the time to help relative beginners so thanks again.

Lester (PS... I'll upload the Device Upgrades.)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:

A few of the long-time users here will probably strongly disagree, but in my opinion, most of us should be using RMIR to work with our remotes. It's a heck of a lot easier.

Were you thinking of me when you said that. Laughing I won't get into that here, but I this post has had me testing some things in RMIR with the NEC 2Dev and NEC 4DEV Combos. KM may have a typo for this particular remote, but on most remotes if you pick Nec 2Dev Combo on a remote that has Nec 4Dev Combo built in, KM tells you that the remote has a variant built in and prompts you for an alternate PID. In RMIR if you start fooling around with Nec 2Dev and Nec 4Dev combos you can make RMIR terminally ill depending on the order you pick things in. Now I need to need to figure out exactly what I did so I can post a bug report for RMIR.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,
When I said RMIR is easier to use, I wan't referring to bugs. I'm pretty sure that RMIR has more bugs than KM. Anyway, the issue Lester saw with buttons sending the wrong signals isn't caused by the 2DEV/4DEV bug.

But the situation that Lester ran into (OBCs on the wrong buttons) was trivial to see when I compared his IR files in RMIR. I had already spent some time comparing the two files in KM and IR to try to find the problem, and it wasn't apparent. It also isn't apparent if the KM files are loaded into RM, although the executor confusion can be noticed on the output tab, since RM knows that a 8206 doesn't have a NEC 2DEV built in.

Basically, the integrated nature of RMIR made it easy to see the discrepency.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Vicky,
Anyway, the issue Lester saw with buttons sending the wrong signals isn't caused by the 2DEV/4DEV bug.

Okay, I see that I am not communicationg properly
This is exactly the 2dev/4dev bug.
I'm used to seeing this problem in RM, due to RDF errors, its unusual to see this in KM, since the Mike assigns the variant numbers and has this information before he hard codes KM.

So anyway

011A has 4 fixed bytes (2dev combo)
011A:2 has 8 fixed bytes. (4dev combo)

Since KM thought that the 8206 had the 011A it only assigned 4 fixed bytes. Because RM knew it was 011A:2, it took the first 8 bytes as fixed bytes, so the 0 (FF 20) and the 1 (7F 20) are being interpreted as fixed data and the whole upgrade is slid up by 2. (The remote knew the first 8 bytes were fixed data too)

Since xnappo fixed all the protocol sections to agree with the master list of protocol variants, we don't see this problem nearly as often as we used to, but still if people have old RDF's or new RDF['s this problem will raise its head.

Quote:

Basically, the integrated nature of RMIR made it easy to see the discrepency.

And there I say you've got to be kidding. Its so hard in RMIR!

LMolland

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the key is that KM offers the NEC 2DEV for the URC-8206 without creating a protocol upgrade to go with it?

For what it's worth (and probably very obvious to those who know what they're doing), I went back to KM out of interest and changed the protocol name from NEC 2DEV Combo to NEC 4DEV Combo.

Copying the resultant Device and Protocol upgrades into IR and uploading to remote gives a working upgrade.

Very Happy
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the 4dev Combo would have worked, even if there was no 011A protocol in the E2 area because the protocol already is built into the remote, KM just thinks the other version is built in.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,
Thanks for the explanation. It's clear to me now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: