JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

To buy or not to buy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here goes. Hope Rob doesn't mind the bandwidth.
I may split this up since I only have limited time until I have to go to work.

Recording HD is easier than actually getting it to the TV. That is easiest done with an "extender" of some sort. The extender also provides a "skip" feature for PC recordings.

The system is not particularly automated.
I have two categories of shows; those I just watch (catch and release) and those I save. (archive) I used to archive USA shows like Monk, Burn Notice, etc but I'm stopping some of that and limiting my archival to science fiction shows. Archiving has to be done on the PC tuners but C&R can be done on the RCA DVR.

I use Titan TV for most of my programming information with a backup at TVGuide.com (formerly YahooTV) Syfy and USA have online guides that are pretty easy to use and Nickelodeon has a 24 hour guide. In theory, TitanTV can interface directly with my PC tuners but only with the native software which I don't use.

I have three antenna systems in place.
OTA - includes locals (Peoria) and distant (Quad Cities)- feeds converter boxes and ATSC PC tuners..
Raw Cable - needed to feed cable boxes and QAM tuners.
Modified Cable - feeds PC analog tuners and household TVs.

Modified cable has the high frequencies stripped off (LPF - low pass filter) leaving 2-22 analog and two RF modulators. I take the output of my A/V system (BD, MediaMVP, VCR) and convert it to ch125 for viewing throughout the house. I take one DTA, convert it to ch90 using a VCR to get composite from the RF ch3. (as you might have guessed from the AVSForum) Despite 'Ratman and 'Tulpa's opinions, the quality of the DTA picture has been quite acceptable. Generally there are fewer motion artifacts on SD (cable QAM) digital stations than on HD channels. (will discuss in editing software section)

Further posts.
Setting up the RCA DVR
Extenders, DLNA, Transcoder
PC primary capture (tuner, line inputs)
PC backup tuners
Coolsat HD OTA backup recording
Mpeg editing software
2nd PC
Samsung DVD/VCR backup recorder
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
Well, here goes. Hope Rob doesn't mind the bandwidth.

Well we're not that far off topic, and the boards have been so slow lately.
This forum has really helped me make some good AV decisions over time. I think it was you that talked me into waiting for the Echostar/Dishnetwork ATSC, which turned out to be excellent advice. That really helped me out when we were living in temporary housing, and

Quote:

The system is not particularly automated.
I have two categories of shows; those I just watch (catch and release) and those I save. (archive) I used to archive USA shows like Monk, Burn Notice, etc but I'm stopping some of that and limiting my archival to science fiction shows. Archiving has to be done on the PC tuners but C&R can be done on the RCA DVR.

I think we all do. I like to archive movies. I used to buy them on DVD, but found that I liked the broadcast versions of many of the movies better. Movies like My Cousin Vinny are so funny, so I bought the DVD and all they do is say the F word all the time and I'm so offended that I don't even like it. I purchased Witness , and the breakfast scene is missing. Without the breakfast scene how can you like the girl, she just seems meddling and mean, not lovable and innocent.

Quote:

I use Titan TV for most of my programming information with a backup at TVGuide.com (formerly YahooTV) Syfy and USA have online guides that are pretty easy to use and Nickelodeon has a 24 hour guide. In theory, TitanTV can interface directly with my PC tuners but only with the native software which I don't use.

I wasn't aware of Titan. I like what I see. I used to use Yahoo before they discontinued the service. I used to scrape that site and then produce a printable TV guide similar to the one that the newspaper used to print. The TVGuide one doesn't allow that.

Quote:

I have three antenna systems in place.
OTA - includes locals (Peoria) and distant (Quad Cities)- feeds converter boxes and ATSC PC tuners..
Raw Cable - needed to feed cable boxes and QAM tuners.
Modified Cable - feeds PC analog tuners and household TVs.

I'm going to have something similar when I'm doneb with my cableing.

Quote:

Modified cable has the high frequencies stripped off (LPF - low pass filter) leaving 2-22 analog and two RF modulators. I take the output of my A/V system (BD, MediaMVP, VCR) and convert it to ch125 for viewing throughout the house. I take one DTA, convert it to ch90 usin[g a VCR to get composite from the RF ch3. (as you might have guessed from the AVSForum)

ch125 and ch90?

Quote:

Despite 'Ratman and 'Tulpa's opinions, the quality of the DTA picture has been quite acceptable.

Don't get me started on those two. They huffed and puffed at me when I was looking to purchase a DTA. Laughing

I'll look forward to your installments. No hurry, I'll read it whenever it gets here.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ch125 = channel 125 : ch90 = channel 90
I modulate video signals to RF frequencies for distribution, like a VCR/DTA modulates its video to channel 3 (ch3) An "agile modulator" takes composite video/audio and generates a RF channel that you can select the frequency for and add it into the coax system.

Someone suggested that a multi-tuner DVR was desirable but if you looked at his location, it was the UK, not the USA. Here an HD Tivo (with cablecard) is about the only thing that corresponds that you can buy rather than rent from the cable/satellite company. They have a lot more options over there. They have Satellite tuners for the PC and even have stand-alone Blue-Ray HD recorders.

Personally, I think that Comcast and other cable providers will drop all of the analog channels next year when their agreement with the FCC to supply your locals in analog until 2012 expires. Offering that suggestion at AVSForum would probably raise a stink right now, especially with "dishrich" who seems to enjoy arguing with me over cable companies policies. I think he works for a cable company in Springfield and defends cable policies and procedures even when they are obviously wrong or bad. I think he swore up and down that Cable would never go all digital (requiring boxes) because that was cable's main selling point over Satellite services.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: My HDD RCA Recorder Reply with quote

My RCA is about as close as I have to your new Magnavox. I have a friend that has an older version of the Magnavox. I would suggest using the SP mode for dubbing to DVDs if you use that feature for archiving - just over 2 hours per disk - and you can edit out commercials before dubbing if desired. You will also notice a delay in the output. If you change channels on say, a DTA connected, it will be a few seconds before the TV picture shows the change. Mpeg encoding takes measurable time to happen.

My RCA DVR is analog only. I have a Zenith OTA converter box connected to a line input. I use a RAW cable line and split it. One output goes to a DTA and one to a channel 3 combiner http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/33-255 The output of the DTA also connects to the combiner and the combined output (2-22 analog + DTA ch3) goes to the tuner on the RCA DVR. This allows me to use the RCA timer to record any analog cable channel (which includes the locals) or ch3 which is the output of the DTA. There are interference problems to work out so this is not quite as simple as it sounds.

Generally this DTA is set to Comedy Central for "The Daily Show" and I record Leno on analog 10 and the Daily Show on ch3. On Tuesday and Thursday I set the DTA to USA for White Collar and Burn Notice, then back to Com for Daily Show. If those USA shows were still on at 9CDT, I would have to record them on their late feeds due to the overlap at 10 CDT. Previously I recorded the USA shows on a PC tuner from the Cable STB but Futurama (which I archive) conflicts.

I anticipate needing the OTA converter box for Leno next year since the timer can switch from tuner to line easier than trying to switch channels on the DTA.

The owner's manual for your Magnavox indicates that it has an OTA ATSC digital tuner (+ analog NTSC) but not a QAM digital cable tuner. At least no mention of a QAM tuner but there have been a number of devices that have QAM tuners that are not documented, even in official literature.

It would work the easiest for recording if you used a STB (set-top-box) on your primary recording device since it could send its signal over composite video to the recorder and allow the recorder to use its internal tuner for the analog channels and line in for the STB channels, giving you at least some flexibility. I never use PPV or "On Demand" so this works for me but it depends on your viewing habits and if you want to rent additional STBs instead of DTAs.

Since the Magnavox has two line inputs, you could hook up a STB to one, OTA Converter box to the other and analog cable to the tuner. If it has a QAM tuner then you will have other hook up options.

Of course, if the analog cable channels disappear next year, everything will have to be re-jiggered. With analog basic cable still present the cable companies don't have to supply DTAs to those subscribers. Dropping analog would require giving one DTA to basic subscribers. Expanded/Digital Starter gets 2xDTA and 1xSTB right now.

BTW, your URC880 can use its extender to sync its clock to the PC time (the PC can sync with international Time servers) and allows easy building of timer commands. I experimented briefly with it for my friend's 8800 but never used it on my system. I think setting up timers manually was a great pain.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
ch125 = channel 125 : ch90 = channel 90
I modulate video signals to RF frequencies for distribution, like a VCR/DTA modulates its video to channel 3 (ch3) An "agile modulator" takes composite video/audio and generates a RF channel that you can select the frequency for and add it into the coax system.

Ah an agile modulator. I was wondering how you would do that.

Quote:

Someone suggested that a multi-tuner DVR was desirable but if you looked at his location, it was the UK, not the USA. Here an HD Tivo (with cablecard) is about the only thing that corresponds that you can buy rather than rent from the cable/satellite company. They have a lot more options over there. They have Satellite tuners for the PC and even have stand-alone Blue-Ray HD recorders.

Yes I wonder why they have so many more options.

Quote:

Personally, I think that Comcast and other cable providers will drop all of the analog channels next year when their agreement with the FCC to supply your locals in analog until 2012 expires.

Oh definately. As soon as its not mandated it will be gone.

Quote:

Offering that suggestion at AVSForum would probably raise a stink right now, especially with "dishrich" who seems to enjoy arguing with me over cable companies policies. I think he works for a cable company in Springfield and defends cable policies and procedures even when they are obviously wrong or bad. I think he swore up and down that Cable would never go all digital (requiring boxes) because that was cable's main selling point over Satellite services.

Yeah everybody in that forum seems to have an agenda, some of them are just trolls. I'm so happy that this forum is so civil and friendly!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My HDD RCA Recorder Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:

My RCA DVR is analog only. I have a Zenith OTA converter box connected to a line input. I use a RAW cable line and split it. One output goes to a DTA and one to a channel 3 combiner http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/33-255 The output of the DTA also connects to the combiner and the combined output (2-22 analog + DTA ch3) goes to the tuner on the RCA DVR. This allows me to use the RCA timer to record any analog cable channel (which includes the locals) or ch3 which is the output of the DTA. There are interference problems to work out so this is not quite as simple as it sounds.

That wouldn't work for me until they take analog away. Both 3 and 4 are in use in the cable analog. But this is helping me. I never even knew there was a combiner that would put things in like that.

[quote]
Generally this DTA is set to Comedy Central for "The Daily Show" and I record Leno on analog 10 and the Daily Show on ch3. On Tuesday and Thursday I set the DTA to USA for White Collar and Burn Notice, then back to Com for Daily Show. If those USA shows were still on at 9CDT, I would have to record them on their late feeds due to the overlap at 10 CDT. Previously I recorded the USA shows on a PC tuner from the Cable STB but Futurama (which I archive) conflicts.

I anticipate needing the OTA converter box for Leno next year since the timer can switch from tuner to line easier than trying to switch channels on the DTA.

Quote:

The owner's manual for your Magnavox indicates that it has an OTA ATSC digital tuner (+ analog NTSC) but not a QAM digital cable tuner. At least no mention of a QAM tuner but there have been a number of devices that have QAM tuners that are not documented, even in official literature.

The walmart ad spells out ATSC/NTSC/QAM which is why I bought it. My cable company, WOW, doesn't encrypt basic cable, so this is a no brainer for me. Comcast at my condo doesn't do this, so there I've got problems. There is no way to change the DTA cable.

Quote:

BTW, your URC880 can use its extender to sync its clock to the PC time (the PC can sync with international Time servers) and allows easy building of timer commands. I experimented briefly with it for my friend's 8800 but never used it on my system. I think setting up timers manually was a great pain.

I'll have to check that out when I'm in Florida.

zaphod7501

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Magnavox may have its own dedicated topic at the AVSForum.

I find that the "Home Theater Forum" is a much more civil place for discussions. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/

I have to use a VCR to convert one DTA to composite video to feed the system.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they do, but that's not going to help me much as Amazon has not shipped it yet! Argh!

I really want to thank you for the mention of TitanTV. This is such a significant improvement over anything else I tried. What I really like is the ability to change from Broadcasting to Cable listings. This is huge for me, because my cable company doesn't offer some of the local substations.

zaphod7501

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Titan
You can also select different cities and providers (if you have a good antenna that picks up distant channels).

Titan was the guide that Hauppauge used for its recording software that came with their tuner/capture cards. I have three Hauppauge cards and a MyHD card that I will mention in my PC setup. In my HTPC I have 5 antenna connections.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE Titan,

I love that the search file turns up listings! All the other TV guides that I've been using give you all sorts of oddball information, but no listings!

I also am intrigued by the text files that you can produce.

The TVPI TV Programing Information
and the Calendar ICS files that you can create from the website are very helpful.

Cool, cool site. Again thanks for mentioning it!

zaphod7501

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably pass on describing my PC setup since it involves adding hardware to the computer and gets really complex, and tends to be device specific. (This brand, connected this way but this other one done this other way, etc)

Getting content off the PC and on to the TV used to be the hardest thing to do. Now, using something called DLNA, it is fairly easy to stream content from the PC to things like Blu-Ray players and new TVs. Those devices can also pull content directly from sites like Hulu and Netflix but, generally, only from the pay versions, not the free streams you can view on the PC. Those require you to be able to see the computer desktop and applications on the TV. DLNA requires the files to be present on the PC, not streamed.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
I'll probably pass on describing my PC setup since it involves adding hardware to the computer and gets really complex, and tends to be device specific. (This brand, connected this way but this other one done this other way, etc)

Again, so much like talking about the joys of jp1, because jp1 can cure an impossible to handle system, but trying to describe the joys is lost on everybody else.

However I've learned so much so far. The idea of an agile modulator and a channel 3 combiner opens up a lot of options that I didn't think about before.

MY DVR finally arrived. I was a little put off by the use of the QAM raw channel numbers but this setup has some huge advantages.

I've run the cable from the wall to the DVR

DVR output
--- passthrough RF to the DTA
--- AV connector to the TV video2

DTA output
--- RF channel 3 to the SonyDVD recorder

Sony DVD recorder output
--- RF pass through channel 3 to the TV
--- Line in to video1 to the tV

So this give me the ability to record two different shows at once, and enables my DH's picture in picture for Saturday and Sunday sports.

Right now I am in the studying stage trying to figure out how to best implement this for ease of use with the JP1 remote. As I juggle remotes I'm so glad that I won't have to do this for long. I'm operating lots of equipment, two have 46 buttons on the OEM remote, so figuring out how to best page this for the extender for intuitive use is going to be tricky. Hopefully I can continue on with the 8811, but I'm afraid its going to hit its memory limit.

Quote:

Getting content off the PC and on to the TV used to be the hardest thing to do. Now, using something called DLNA, it is fairly easy to stream content from the PC to things like Blu-Ray players and new TVs. Those devices can also pull content directly from sites like Hulu and Netflix but, generally, only from the pay versions, not the free streams you can view on the PC. Those require you to be able to see the computer desktop and applications on the TV. DLNA requires the files to be present on the PC, not streamed.

Hmm, I'll have to lookup what a DLNA is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: