JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Virgin Tivo CT-8685 Subtitle code?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jobius

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Virgin Tivo CT-8685 Subtitle code? Reply with quote

I see that Alan Richey posted Slingbox BIN files for Virgin Cisco CT8685, a new TiVo device available in the UK. The original remote apparently has a Subtitle button, and I'd like to see if it does anything on my U.S. Series 3 TiVo. Unfortunately, I don't have a Slingbox, and don't know how to extract any information from the BIN files. Can anyone help?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In RM pick Advanced - Import Binary Upgrade.
Jobius

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that worked. Unfortunately, the codes for known buttons in VCR/0618 don't match what's in this new file. Maybe that's because Cisco/Virgin is using a completely different set of IR codes. But in any case, there's no Subtitle button in the Functions tab.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be much simpler to use the RM file:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9556
Jobius

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
It would be much simpler to use the RM file:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9556

Indeed. Smile Don't know how I missed that. Unfortunately, it still looks like a completely different set of codes than the usual TiVo 0618 codes. None of the OBCs line up, and the protocol is RC-5, while "normal" TiVos use a variant of NEC1. The RM file shows Subtitle as:

Code:
Name         EFC      Device        OBC     Hex
subtitle     110     10,OBC<64       26      94

Where in the usual VCR/0618, OBC 026 is Thumbs Up. I think this is a dead end.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a lot easier if you had used the code search template.

I gather from reading this that you are using the built in VRC/0618 to control the TiVo and you don't have the original remote to learn from.

Vcr/0618 is a setup code that is associated with 3 different versions of the executor. So finding an EFC for CC that works with your executor depends on which remote you are using. I went back and read your other threads and believe you are using a 15-2116 remote. Many of the Tivo setups that use that executor have an EFC of 166 (OBC 70) on the CC which is usually where UEI puts the subtitle functions.
Give EFC 166 a try.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let's see if we can clear this up. Jobius, could you answer the following questions:

1) Which JP1 remote are you using to control your Tivo?
2) Are you using an upgrade (which one?) or a built in setup code (VCR/0618 perhaps?)
3) What is the brand/model of your Tivo? Is it really a "Virgin Cisco CT8685" or is that a red-herring?
Jobius

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
OK, let's see if we can clear this up. Jobius, could you answer the following questions:

1) Which JP1 remote are you using to control your Tivo?
2) Are you using an upgrade (which one?) or a built in setup code (VCR/0618 perhaps?)
3) What is the brand/model of your Tivo? Is it really a "Virgin Cisco CT8685" or is that a red-herring?

1) 15-2116

2) Upgrade, but that's mostly for flexibility moving buttons around.

3) Mine is a TiVo Series 3. "Virgin Cisco CT8685" is a red herring in the sense that I don't really want to control one. I wanted to know what its "Subtitle" button sends, so I could try sending it to my Series 3 TiVo. There's no remote code, as far as I know, to toggle subtitles/captions on and off on the Series 3. I thought there was a chance that the Virgin/Cisco code would work.

vickyg2003 wrote:
Many of the Tivo setups that use that executor have an EFC of 166 (OBC 70) on the CC which is usually where UEI puts the subtitle functions.
Give EFC 166 a try.

Thanks, Vicky. I just tried EFC 166, but it brings up the Now Playing list, not captions/subtitles.

vickyg2003 wrote:
I gather from reading this that you are using the built in VRC/0618 to control the TiVo and you don't have the original remote to learn from.

I'm using an upgrade, from Keymap Master, using built-in protocol 01 11. It works fine, and I strongly suspect that there is no keycode that can be used to toggle CC on my Series 3 TiVo. I've got a macro that works OK: Info, Down, Down, Down, Down, Select, Clear.

When I saw an image of the new Virgin/Cisco TiVo remote, with a Subtitle button, I hoped that meant that TiVo had gotten around to adding a CC toggle code. Elsewhere, I saw that they'd added discrete CC_ON and CC_OFF commands to their telnet based control interface, but nobody's found an IR code that does the same thing.

vickyg2003 wrote:
This would be a lot easier if you had used the code search template.

D'oh! You're right, so for the record:

1. Device: TiVo Series 3
2. Type of device: PVR
3. Year: 2007
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: 15-2116
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? Yes
6. Still have original remote? Yes
7. Checked the file section? Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes
9. Partially working setup code? Yes
10. Learning remote question? No
11. Have you tried the JP1 Lookup Tool? Yes
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're getting somewhere now, IIUC you are using a standard US Tivo which responds to the standard VCR/0618 setup code. You are using an upgrade, but it's based on the 0618 code (ie, it uses the official $0111 Tivo protocol).

You're looking for a SUBTITLES button, even though there isn't one on your OEM Tivo remote, and there is no evidence that your box supports the SUBTITLES function.

The UK Virgin box really has nothing to do with this search, except for the fact that there is a SUBTITLES button on the Virgin remote.

How'd I do?

I suspect that the SUBTITLES function is not supported by the US Tivo firmware, but if you want to go on a fishing expedition anyway, the thing to do would be to look at the documented functions in our Tivo Master File and try any OBCs that are not listed in the file. I don't expect that you'll find anything, but you never know.

Another possibility is that your box will respond to the Virgin signals. I think this is unikely as, so far, Tivo boxes only respond to one codeset, they don't respond to the signals used by a different brand. This was different with the ReplayTV boxes, where all units would respond to both Replay signals and Panasonic signals, regardless of whether the box was branded as ReplayTV or Panasonic.
Jobius

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I think we're getting somewhere now, IIUC you are using a standard US Tivo which responds to the standard VCR/0618 setup code. You are using an upgrade, but it's based on the 0618 code (ie, it uses the official $0111 Tivo protocol).

You're looking for a SUBTITLES button, even though there isn't one on your OEM Tivo remote, and there is no evidence that your box supports the SUBTITLES function.

The UK Virgin box really has nothing to do with this search, except for the fact that there is a SUBTITLES button on the Virgin remote.

How'd I do?

Exactly right!

The Robman wrote:
I suspect that the SUBTITLES function is not supported by the US Tivo firmware, but if you want to go on a fishing expedition anyway, the thing to do would be to look at the documented functions in our Tivo Master File and try any OBCs that are not listed in the file. I don't expect that you'll find anything, but you never know.

Another possibility is that your box will respond to the Virgin signals. I think this is unikely as, so far, Tivo boxes only respond to one codeset, they don't respond to the signals used by a different brand. This was different with the ReplayTV boxes, where all units would respond to both Replay signals and Panasonic signals, regardless of whether the box was branded as ReplayTV or Panasonic.

Yeah, my hope was that the Virgin box would use the same codes as 0618, but with a new OBC for Subtitle. Most U.S. TiVos have used the $0111 TiVo protocol, including the original Philips Series 1, the Humax DVD-burning TiVo Series 2, the TiVo-branded Series 3, and a bunch of others that I haven't owned. But there was also a Sony TiVo that used a different protocol (Sony20 $00DE) and different key mappings. And now there's this Virgin Media TiVo in the U.K., using RC-5 $00E8, and a third set of key mappings.

I'm not too bothered by this; I've got a macro that works OK. I just only get into the JP1 thing once a year or so, and like to make things as clean as possible while I'm at it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jobius wrote:
Most U.S. TiVos have used the $0111 TiVo protocol, including the original Philips Series 1, the Humax DVD-burning TiVo Series 2, the TiVo-branded Series 3, and a bunch of others that I haven't owned. But there was also a Sony TiVo that used a different protocol (Sony20 $00DE) and different key mappings. And now there's this Virgin Media TiVo in the U.K., using RC-5 $00E8, and a third set of key mappings.

Understood, my point was that each box only responds to the codeset its original remote uses, a box that uses the Tivo protocol won't respond to a Sony codeset, etc.

Most boxes use the Tivo protocol, the exceptions that I know of are:
1) Sony Tivo (code 1) = Sony20 dev 26.154
2) Sony Tivo (code 2) = Sony20 dev 26.162
3) Sony Tivo (code 3) = Sony20 dev 26.170
4) Sony SAT T60 (code 1) = Sony15 dev 183
5) Sony SAT T60 (code 2) = Sony20 dev 23.69
6) Sony SAT T60 (code 2) = Sony20 dev 23.133
7) Toshiba Tivo DVD = NEC1 dev 69
8) Virgin Cisco CT8685 = RC5 dev 10
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jobius wrote:
1. Device: TiVo Series 3
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: 15-2116
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? Yes

I did a little discrete hunting a little while back with the Tivo Premiere. Here is a copy of all the codes which I found. This should work for the Tivo Premiere, XL, Elite, and Series 3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: