JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trying to convert DMS-2002U Slingbox PL file to rid file

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgniwder

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Trying to convert DMS-2002U Slingbox PL file to rid file Reply with quote

In trying to locate a rid file for an Evolution DMS 2002U to use for my Replay, I came across the Slingbox PL file below in the Slingbox forums.
http://answers.slingbox.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/43581-4202/Evolution%20DMS-2002.zip

I imported this file into RemoteMaster by selecting Advanced and then Import Binary Code
From there I attempted to use RidGen 1.7a to create the Rid file, but it did not identify the Protocol as it appears that the manual Settings used (code 01 FF) are not able to be identified because no irp file exists for that.
I'm not sure if I can go any further or if I am stuck at a dead end. If anyone could offer assistance or suggestions - I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some searching and I found the thread where you found that download here:
http://answers.slingbox.com/message/43588

I see that Alan created the upgrade file, but unfortunately he didn't include the source RMDU file in the zip and he didn't save any of the files over here in the JP1 file section.

If Alan posts the RMDU file, I might be able to generate a RID file for you.
sgniwder

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob.
I'll see if I can get that file.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I took a look at the custom executor that Alan used in that file and it appears to be the standard NEC1 protocol (with device code 64.64) with the repeat bit turned off. However, it looks like all the command codes are formatted with their OBCs backwards. I looked in our file section and we have several NEC1 64.64 files so I selected one for the Coolsat 8000 and curiously, the OBCs match the backward OBCs for the Evolution, so either the Evolution guys got it wrong, or Alan messed up the file, but the latter seems unlikely as the user on the Slingbox forum seemed to imply that it works.

Anyway, now that I know the protocol info, creating a RID is easy. To cover both options, I have created 2 files.

The first file has OBCs that match those in Alan's file:
{deleted}

The second has them reversed to match those in the Coolsat file:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9657

Last edited by The Robman on Wed May 18, 2011 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded the RMDU file to http://answers.slingbox.com/message/43588

The OBC codes were obtained by installing it on my Harmony and learning with a widget and IRScope.

I'm not sure why I used the Rob's NEC1(No repeat) protocol as I normally use the official NEC1 protocol unless a user says he has channel skipping. Maybe I just made the wrong selection, finger trouble Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan. I have now copied the file over to the file section here, so we now have the Evolution DMS 2002U in our collection too.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9658

I see that it was RM that was reversing the OBCs when I imported the bin file because the OBCs in the RMDU file are correct.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Thanks Alan. I have now copied the file over to the file section here, so we now have the Evolution DMS 2002U in our collection too.
I now batch upload working files each Saturday morning. So if you had waited 3 days.... Very Happy
sgniwder

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob and Alan,
I REALLY appreciate your help!
Unfortunately, I am unable to make any of the files work with my Replay. I've only been successful across the board in having the 7 work as a channel up control. None of the other numbers come across to the box. I even tried to create my own code from the file Rob posted above, but I had the same luck. I wasn't able to try with Alan's as I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to be able to figure out how to get the NEC1 (No Repeats) protocol into RemoteMaster. Maybe someday... Smile
Would either of you happen to have any suggestions to point me in the right direction on this?
Thanks!
Fred
sgniwder

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so I can see if I'm interpreting these files correctly.
When I compare the rid file above to the rmdu file that was placed in the files area, is the power button coded incorrectly in the rid file? Should the power be 55 and the enter (select) 56.
Again, I hope this doesn't come across in the wrong way, I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly...
Thanks again for your help!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try the RID file that I created?
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9657

You don't need to use the "no repeats" version of the NEC1 protocol, unless the repeats end up causing you an issue. Alan uses that version for Slingbox users because often they end up seeing "444" when they press "4" (for example).

So, if you want to look at an RMDU file, I suggest that you use the one that I loaded rather than the one Alan loaded, as I changed the protocol to the standard NEC1 protocol.

Also, there's a bug in RidGen with how it handles NEC signals because it ignores the sub-device, so you need to know how to fix that manually if you're trying to use RidGen.

Regarding the two buttons you mentioned, here are their codes:

POWER
EFC=055
OBC=10
HEX=AF

OK
EFC=056
OBC=13
HEX=4F

I did get them backwards in the RID file, sorry about that, so I just reversed them.

If you want to know what the work around is for the NEC bug in RidGen, here's what happens.

You can open the C1000fi.rid file that I created using the LOAD button in RidGen, then you can click the DecodeIR button to get the code info. You will clearly see that it is NEC1 64.64 (ie, device=64, sub-device=64). However, if you click MakeHex to generate the data and then click DecodeIR to decode the results, you will notice that the sub-device vanishes.

The data in the Initial Bits column is where the error lies. The true binary for the "0" button is "=00000010000000100000000011111111+" but what gets generated is "=00000010111111010000000011111111+". Let's look at them side-by-side:

=00000010 00000010 00000000 11111111+
=00000010 11111101 00000000 11111111+

As both the device and sub-device are 64, the first two bytes should both be "00000010", but when the sub-device is ignored, the 2nd byte defaults to the complement of the 1st byte. To fix this, you need to replace "11111101" in each of the bit strings with "00000010", which is what I did in order to create your RID file.
sgniwder

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rob,
Thanks for the detailed information! I really appreciate it and it's nice to know how everything works especially since I'll need to get the other file working with my slingbox too.
Even better, I just tried the file again and it worked. I'm not sure if it's because I needed to completely clear out the method of communication, but it's working now. Now I just need to put it on the other one I have.
Thanks again for your help!
Fred
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, glad it worked for you. It's nice to see those ReplayTV boxes still being used. I've got 3 of them running all the time.
sgniwder

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've got 4 and I'm not sure what I'd do without them... I didn't really want to go the route of paying for 4 of the digital boxes at $7/each/month, so this is a free one that Wow is providing until 2013.
Without it, I would have only received the locals.
I'm just happy Wow made the decision to not require boxes on digital TVs for the lower tier.
Thanks again!
Fred
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> ReplayTV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: