JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

GMaking existing protocol work for OFA URC-8800

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: GMaking existing protocol work for OFA URC-8800 Reply with quote

It's been many years since I was proficient with programming, special protocols and JP1 extenders and I am now very much out of practice.

I have several OFA URC-8800 remotes that I still use and can generally program, however, with a new Onkyo home theater addition, I can't get this protocol:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9189

to work on my Producer 8. It will control my Onkyo preamp with a Radio Shack remote I have, I just can't get the 8800 to work.

I'm happy with only volume control if that is possible as the bulk of the other work is with other devices.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That upgrade uses the NEC 4DEV Combo, and the 8800 doesn't have the protocol executor built in. Are you sure that you have copied over both the upgrade and the protocol upgrade?

If it still isn't working, post both your KM or RM file, and the IR file.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both KM and RM say that
Code:
Upgrade Protocol 0 = 01 1A (S3C8+) NEC 4DEV Combo (KM v9.19)

is not available when selecting the URC8800 Producer.

I think that means that NEC 4DEV Combo won't work with the processor for that remote because it's intended for the S3C8+, and no version has been created for the processor in the Producer.

The same seems to be true for NEC 2DEV Combo

If you just want volume, I think you should be able to get that by creating an NEC2 upgrade for device 210, subdevice 109 - using the OBCs in the KM file:

Vol+ (002), Vol- (003), Mute (005)

Any of the other functions with device 3 in the byte 2 column should work in the same upgrade.

The 4 "device pairs" used in this KM file are:
1) 210.2
2) 210.108
3) 210.109
4) 210.172

You can see which one a command uses, on the functions tab, in the byte2 column - the first digit (before the space) defines which of these pairs. The digit after the space tells it to send NEC1 or NEC2 (and that may well only affect whether the key "repeats" when held in).

You could create separate upgrades for functions on the other "device pairs" then use keymoves - if you need some of the other functions, or...

Playing with KM - it looks like NEC2 combo (a different protocol) might work with this remote, and since device is constant, with only subdevice changing, you could possibly use that protocol instead - worth a try if you need more than just volume - you'd have to translate the codes using the different rules for NEC2 Combo.

Protocol Help wrote:
____NEC1/NEC2 Combo_________________________________________________________
This protocol allows you to combine device codes where the first device code is constant and
the second device code changes. For example, you could combine NEC1 184.1 and
NEC1 184.2, etc.

To do this, enter the main device code (i.e. 184) in device code 1 on the Setup sheet, and
then enter the second device code in the byte2 column on the Functions sheet.

If you leave the byte2 column blank, it will be assumed that you want to use the one-device
NEC protocol. If you want to use the two-device version with the second device set to zero,
enter zero in the byte2 column.

KM also tells me this:
Quote:
P8/740 remotes cannot handle upgrades greater than 50 bytes. Please remove 12 button assignments. See the 'keymap-master-readme.txt' file for details.

So you may be limited by that 50 byte maximum, too, if you try to include all functions in one upgrade. You can probably only get up to 23 or 24 keys at maximum into a single upgrade using the NEC2 Combo, as it is a 2 byte protocol.

edited for typos...

Last edited by jimdunn on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:23 am; edited 5 times in total
jimdunn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and did a very quick text "find and replace" on the upgrade you linked that you have indicated works with your RS remote, and created this KM file using the alternative NEC2 Combo protocol as a test for you to try out with your URC8800:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9423
(I hope I didn't rush too much and screw up the find/replace)

I also deleted lots of button assignments (including the "number" keys) to keep it under 50 bytes, so if you test it, make sure you test buttons that are actually assigned on the Buttons tab, and if it works, and you want to use it, you'll need to review the Buttons Tab to make sure the ones you want to use get assigned...

KM seems happy to give a P8/740 Protocol upgrade for NEC2 Combo on a URC-9800/8800.
RM prefers it to be called NEC Combo (without the 2) - which makes sense, since you can use parm=20 to send NEC1, and parm=21 to send NEC2, and the protocol upgrade code is the same.

The only thing this won't let you do is "mix and match" NEC1 and NEC2 style in the same upgrade, which the original did, but as I mentioned above, that's probably only relevant for keys "repeating" or not when held in - you'll either have them all repeat, or none repeat, depending on the parm= value - probably (hopefully) not a big deal.

Hopefully, then, this test upgrade seems like it might work in your remote - but I don't have the remote to test with, so you would need to do that.

I did see somewhere that the extender for this remote is/was supposed to remove the 50 byte limit, but I didn't pursue that line of enquiry any further at this point, so that's just an FYI...

Please do let us know if this works, or, if not, what goes wrong with it. I don't think I made any errors, but I may have, and since I can't test it, only you can give useful feedback from the actual remote tested with the real device...

That feedback is enormously valuable for future users reading this thread who are probably searching for answers to a similar problem.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, kk, did any of the answers in this thread help at all Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: