JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Power sync issue on URC-8820
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a perfect excuse for new TV! Can you spell "3D"?

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since you've discovered your problem, this is a day late and a dollar short, but it may help someone else down the line.

Several years ago, I had a similarly baffling problem in which the TV would either not turn on or would not accept an input command and I could not for the life of me sort out the problem. I did the same sort of "unplug everything" testing and connected one component at a time until I could reliably reproduce the problem. It turned out that somehow, when I had my laserdisc player connected to the TV via S-video and powered on, some sort of weird feedback was occurring messing up the TV's recognition (or processing) of input commands. Disconnecting the S-video cable fixed everything!

Ultimately I tweaked my remote command sequence such that the LD player would turn on last/off first - so that it would always be off when sending the TV power and input commands, but this sucker baffled me for a couple of weeks.

So you never know.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
greenrl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej,
Thanks for the suggestions.

I also plan to make some adjustments in the macros.
For example, in the Phantom3 macro that is All Off, which as been sporadic, put the TV off command first.

Adjustments in viewing habits can work too. Such as turn the Dish box on first even if just planning to view TV only for the moment. Or the "leave it on" philosophy.

I checked out the interference issue on the web and it seems it is mostly the LED backlit TVs that have the biggest problem and blank out the remote from working at all. Thankfully mine is only a power on/off issue. And oh, the problem is only with the URC-8820. The Dish OEM remote is not affected. Of course it has two LEDs and a much greater range that may overpower the interference.

Richard
jimdunn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenrl wrote:
Yippee! Very Happy Problem solved. Works perfectly with the TV unplugged.

Wow, and here I was wondering if it was too much of a long shot to even suggest checking for...

Only the fact that I could infer from the sequence of events that it did seem as though it might be happening only after the TV was turned on convinced me to suggest it.
...I should have then gone on to do Vicky's Google search to give me more confidence in the idea... Surprised

The closest I ever got to having this scenario personally was a Sony camcorder that occasionally got left near the TV and switched on - it emitted a stream of IR whilst on which used to "jam" some remote control signals. That took a few weeks until the penny dropped what was going on.

Not IR, but we also had an RF baby alarm with 2 selectable channels which "jammed" our RF garage door opener, but only on the 2nd channel - which we hardly ever used. Similar fun and confusion for all was had there too...
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: