JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

PS3 to connect to the internet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vusigaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: PS3 to connect to the internet Reply with quote

How do I get my daughters PS3 to connect to the internet? I have a modem with an ethernet cable into my computer upstairs for internet access. But I just bought my daughter a PS3 and apparantly you can connect to the internet with either an ethernet cable or wireless access. Her PS3 is in the basement. Not near my computer at all.

Last edited by vusigaga on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
jimdunn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have 3 basic choices:

[1] Use an ethernet router/switch upstairs, (you may not even need the router/switch if your modem already has a spare ethernet port - many have 4 ports) and run an an ethernet cable to the basement.

[2] Add a wireless router/switch upstairs, and connect wirelessly to it from the PS3
Note - if your internet modem already has wireless capability - you can try out this option at no cost - I only mention this because I have come across people who already own wireless capable internet modem/router/switches but didn't realise it - unlikely, but, since you don't list your equipment, I mention it for completeness...Smile

[3] Try a "dongle" like this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/wifi-link-usb-dongle-for-wireless-internet-play-with-wii-nds-psp-ps3-3345
There are numerous things like this - try searching google for "ps3 dongle wireless pc". - that's just the 1st one I hit in a search... Like all these type of products, they are cheap, and may work anywhere from "not at all" to "brilliantly" depending on your luck. It would require your PC to be always on. My hunch is most of these may lack the reliability and range, and could be fiddly to configure, so I wouldn't go that way myself, but you could well decide it's cheap enough to gamble and try one out - and you might be lucky.

Option [1] is guaranteed to work

Options [2] and [3] depend on the strength of signal you will get through your floors, and distance.

Option [2] will likely give you a stronger signal than [3] - but without a site test it is impossible to say if they will be good enough - depends on floor thicknesses/materials and angles etc.

If you can borrow a couple of wireless laptops you can use them to see what sort of a signal strength you are likely to get, as a test.

Bottom line - running an ethernet cable is certain to work - wireless may be fine too, but depends on site specific factors which I can't guess at.

edit: Actually, there is a 4th choice: Ethernet over Power line:
http://www.netcomm.com.au/products/powerline is an example. It doesn't seem particularly cheap, though, I have heard it can work well, but apparently not always, depending how the power circuits in your house/basement are configured - I have no direct personal experience of this method.

Personally, I will always run an ethernet cable if it's at all possible - it might involve a couple of holes and a little initial effort - but, if the set up is intended to be at all permanent, the increased performance, reliability and bandwidth from a wired connection, and the lack of potential subsequent interference/drop out/speed problems far outweighs the initial effort. I do have 3 wireless access points throughout the house for things like laptops/DS/handhelds etc., which are expected to wander around - but anything that needs to, or is likely to stay put gets its own hardwired ethernet connection. Cable is quite cheap - and this guide may help: http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/22/how-to-run-your-own-network-wiring . (Or you can get a cabler to run it for you if you don't fancy all that...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: