JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

KM and Atlas OCAP 1056B01

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: KM and Atlas OCAP 1056B01 Reply with quote

Mike, having played a little bit with Atlas1056B01, I think KM could use few enhancements and/or I need clarifications, maybe about IR.

(1) In KM, phantoms 1 and 2 can be shifted. I haven't used unextended Atlas, so don't know what can or cannot shift.

30333033 (Atlas OCAP URC-1056 JP1.3 (Black)_(Silver)).rdf
phantom1=$40,
phantom2=$3E,
phantom3=$71,
phantom10=$F1

(2) In extended Atlas, shifted phantoms really cannot be shifted and cause havoc when brought into IR. Atlas 1056 has 10 of them. To wit, when I coded on and off on phantom1 and phantom1 shifted, in IR one of them ended up in the upgrade as Discrete on, and one in keymoves with a wrong shift - it wasn't wrong, just not what I coded in KM because reading the RDF makes sense out of it, but had me confused and still does. It's asymmetrical.
And then, when I make keymoves in IR, I have to enter EFC numbers (I never had to do that before), since entering Hex doesn't work, sticks in a byte plus something about keycode. I don't understand any of that.
Bill, in one his recent posts mentioned something about KM not supporting extender. I'm not sure it's vital, other than shifting of phantoms - details in the RDF extracts:

3A333A33 (Atlas OCAP URC-1056 JP1.3 (Black)_(Silver) extender).rdf
Phantom1=$C0:Shift+XShift,Phantom2,Phantom3,Phantom4,Phantom5,Phantom6,Phantom7,Phantom8,Phantom9,Phantom10
DeActivate=$CA:Shift+XShift
DiscreteOn=$40:Shift+XShift
DiscreteOff=$80:Shift+Xshift

3A333A33 (Atlas OCAP URC-1056 JP1.3 (Black)_(Silver) extender V2.10).rdf - identical

3A333A33 (Atlas OCAP URC-1056 JP1.3 (Black)_(Silver) extender V2.11).rdf - as above

Please note that there is a reversal of shift (OR $80 not $40) and xshift (OR $40 not $80) in Bill's extender keymaps.

(3) For Atlas 1055 and 1056, KM uses the same entry in the remote dropdown. KM list partly seems to match 1055 RDF. Should they really be together?

Sorry, if this has been covered before. I can't seem to catch up to all this jp1.3 stuff.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liz,

I'll certainly look into this to see if there is any way to improve the way KM works in this case. However, please note that the button names in KM are based on the un-extended RDF, and there are some conflicts in the phantom assignments between the extended and un-extended RDF files.

KM has never really had a specific way to limit use of shifted keys, other than to avoid colliding with another defined key. The mapping of keys in the Atlas JP1.3 extenders is quite different from older extenders, so this problem hasn't occurred before.

The way I work around this is to enter any keymoves for phantoms on the 'Key Moves' sheet. In the 'Bound Key' column (D), you can enter the hex key number instead of selecting a button from the drop list. (Enter with a leading '$', for example, '$83'.) (Yes, I know that is not consistent with other parts of KM that require 'h' instead of '$', but that's the way it has always been...)

Regarding item (3), from KM's point of view there is no difference between those two remotes, except for perhaps the button names. Since the Atlas family has a reputation for varying the button names even within the same model #, it would still probably be confusing even if I split them into separate items.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
(Yes, I know that is not consistent with other parts of KM that require 'h' instead of '$', but that's the way it has always been...)
Oh sure... blame me! Surprised Embarassed Wink
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, Mark is back Very Happy
So it took a $ vs h debate to bring you out of the woodwork Twisted Evil
Mark, so do you still use the remotes after training sooo many of us here, or gone sheep farming or something?

I like $ better. I grew up on hex is $. That h thing confuses me when I read it 'loud.
Also I'll try what Mike answered, making keymoves for Atlas in KM instead of IR. I think it'll be easier this round of play. Though unlikely to apply to all situations.

Thanks, Mike. I think I understand what you're saying. This Atlas thing is confusing, though most people don't find it so. Just me, I guess.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
So it took a $ vs h debate to bring you out of the woodwork Twisted Evil
I still lurk... you never know when I'm gonna strike! Laughing

Quote:
Mark, so do you still use the remotes after training sooo many of us here, or gone sheep farming or something?
If Mike makes any snide remark about the sheep I'm gonna have to hunt you down! Twisted Evil

I still dabble but haven't done anything heavy duty in a while. To be honest, I can't get the wife or kids to appreciate all my hard work. Everytime I go into the living room all I see is 3 or 4 OEM remotes. Embarassed

Quote:
I like $ better. I grew up on hex is $. That h thing confuses me when I read it 'loud.
I agree but you really have to talk to the fine folks at MS about that.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
To be honest, I can't get the wife or kids to appreciate all my hard work. Everytime I go into the living room all I see is 3 or 4 OEM remotes. Embarassed

NoooooooooooooO!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Surprised Embarassed
jetstar52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To be honest, I can't get the wife or kids to appreciate all my hard work. Everytime I go into the living room all I see is 3 or 4 OEM remotes.

That's why you make sure to hide the OEM remotes.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
I still dabble but haven't done anything heavy duty in a while. To be honest, I can't get the wife or kids to appreciate all my hard work. Everytime I go into the living room all I see is 3 or 4 OEM remotes. Embarassed

Aaack!!!!!!

I find that my family doesn't appreciate the seemlessness of my remotes, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to use the OEMs.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
If Mike makes any snide remark about the sheep I'm gonna have to hunt you down! Twisted Evil
Sheep? Last I recall, it was someone else who was into sheep. Have you turned to the dark side now too? Twisted Evil (Snide enough? Mr. Green )
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
The way I work around this is to enter any keymoves for phantoms on the 'Key Moves' sheet.

Mike,

Your suggestion of making Atlas keymoves to phantoms or other devices I suppose as well in KM on the keymoves sheet is very good because it gives me the hex values to copy, whereas IR makes a mess if I enter manually what I think should be hex values.
I do have to copy hex numbers into IR, because IR complains that the IMPORT of keymoves 'data is not terminated properly'.
KM issue? IR issue?

jetstar52 wrote:
That's why you make sure to hide the OEM remotes
You take out the batteries. Put remotes in a box. Lock'm up. "Archive" was another great word used here Smile
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
You take out the batteries. Put remotes in a box. Lock'm up. "Archive" was another great word used here Smile

Archive - oh, yes indeed, that's what you do, and that is the term

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=86183#86183
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=40520#40520

Still one of the funniest exchanges I recall on here, and, therefore, since taking out the batteries and hiding the OEM remotes in a box is exactly what I do, I shall never use any other term for it, and as a bonus I get to chuckle to myself a lot each time I "archive" a remote or "break one out"...

Very Happy
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Your suggestion of making Atlas keymoves to phantoms or other devices I suppose as well in KM on the keymoves sheet is very good because it gives me the hex values to copy, whereas IR makes a mess if I enter manually what I think should be hex values.
It also documents your keymoves if you save the KM files.

ElizabethD wrote:
I do have to copy hex numbers into IR, because IR complains that the IMPORT of keymoves 'data is not terminated properly'.
KM issue? IR issue?
I get this too. I can't recall when it first started, but it has been this way for a while. As far as I know, KM is doing what it always did, so my hunch is that IR has somehow changed. I'll see if I can dig up some older KM versions to test.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: