JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help Please Used Clean Upper Memory before factory resetting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
perseusbobby

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Help Please Used Clean Upper Memory before factory resetting Reply with quote

I used the clean upper memory function in ir.exe and now my 15-1994 radio shack remote will not work. I have tried factory resetting the remote and loading my old ir file into ir.exe but the remote does not function. I get the two green lights when pressing p button and the 4 lights when doing factory reset. Can I do anything to save this remote. I had an extender installed and I think it got corrupted because I did not do a factory reset before cleaning upper memory. THanks. I posted my IR file in diagnosis area. File is titled bad 15-1994 file corrupted upper memory.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Help Please Used Clean Upper Memory before factory reset Reply with quote

The etiquette here is that you post a link to your file
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9347

perseusbobby wrote:
I used the clean upper memory function in ir.exe and now my 15-1994 radio shack remote will not work. I have tried factory resetting the remote and loading my old ir file into ir.exe but the remote does not function. I get the two green lights when pressing p button and the 4 lights when doing factory reset.

Can I do anything to save this remote. I had an extender installed and I think it got corrupted because I did not do a factory reset before cleaning upper memory. THanks. I posted my IR file in diagnosis area. File is titled bad 15-1994 file corrupted upper memory.

The remote is fine, its the ir file that's corrupt.

When you did the clean upper memory, you wiped out a good portion of the extender, so when it tries to execute it runs into all these FF's where there should be code.

NEVER DO A CLEAN UPPER MEMORY WHEN RUNNING AN EXTENDER!!!!!!!!!!

You need to find a good copy of your IR file or start over with a clean ir file.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
perseusbobby

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: I have a clean file and it works just fine on an identical Reply with quote

I have a clean file and it works just fine on an identical 15-1994 remote yet when i load it on the corrupted remote which is also a 15-1994, the remote does not respond to any commands, whereas everything works just fine on the identical remote with the same ir file uploaded to it. THanks.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing a 981 reset prior to loading the IR file. The EEPROM type remotes are almost impossible to kill. That's not the case with a FLASH remote.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
perseusbobby

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Have already tried a 981 reset before uploading Ir Reply with quote

I have already tried a 981 reset before uploading Ir. The 981 clears out the memory in the move/macro, upgrade and learned areas,but when i enter a code after a 981, remote does not respond and even after I flash the working Ir it does not respond. I also did an initialize to $00 and an initialize to $ff function. Any more suggestions. Thank you very much.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets assume the IR file is bad.

The first thing to do, is remove the batteries, and press any button to make sure the remote is discharged

Reinstall the batteries, and Press and hold the P key until the led blinks twice.
Then type 981.

The remote should be working now.

Now I'd like you to get a digital camera, the one in your phone will do, and look at the infrared signal when you press a key, and make sure the infrared emitter is still working.

If so, rebuild your ir file or download from your good 15-1994 remote and load that image into your bad remote.

Make sure not to get the good remote and the bad remote mixed up!

perseusbobby

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: No Ir signal coming from bad remote Reply with quote

I followed your directions exactly. You can see ir emission from good remote and sure enough bad remote has no ir emission after observation through digital camera. What could have happened? Is there a fix, if not what could have caused this? Thank you for your help.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly this...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9554
perseusbobby

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: The successive downloading that i did to fix a macro probabl Reply with quote

The successive uploading that i did to finetune a macro probably fried the IR. I have no soldering skills so my remote is probably toast. Thanks again.
cauer29

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The successive downloading that i did to fix a macro pro Reply with quote

perseusbobby wrote:
The successive uploading that i did to finetune a macro probably fried the IR. I have no soldering skills so my remote is probably toast. Thanks again.

It can't be exactly the problem outlined in that thread since that only applies to JP1.3 remotes where the remote's serial Tx line is shared with IR out line. I'm pretty sure that the 15-1994 is a JP1 remote and not JP1.3 That's not to say that something similar didn't happen.

A.A.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR LEDs have been known to just come unsoldered over time and vibration.
This will usually be visible with a close examination of the circuit board. (after opening the case)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: