JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chinavasion CVSB-983
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buzzster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Chinavasion CVSB-983 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a RS 15-2104 that I have slowly enhanced after following the great advice on here to set up all my components.

Lately I have acquired a strange remote (Chinavasion CVSB-983) which seems to send keyboard presses. I want to be able to program this remote and can't find any files here for it. The only thing I have been able to find are some raw hex codes from the Pronto boards.

Is there any way I can use this raw hex data to make a device upgrade in keymap master or even do anything in the remote programmer application?

I have only done basic stuff with both of these programs but can't find any direction on the forums here for this.... BTW, I did enter some of the hex codes in tool IRTool 1.4, but have no idea what to do with the output.

Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated

Here is a sample of the raw hex I have for 3 buttons:

PowerToggle:
0000 006E 0000 0011 000A 0046 000A 0046 000A 0046 000A 001E 000A 001E 000A 001E 000A 0046 000A 001E 000A 0046 000A 0046 000A 0046 000A 001E 000A 001E 000A 0046 000A 001E 000A 001E 000A 0316

Volume Down:
0000 006E 0000 0011 000A 0046 000A 0046 000A 0046 000A 001E 000A 001E 000A 001E 000A 0046 000A 001E 000A 001E 000A 0046 000A 001E 000A 0046 000A 001E 000A 001E 000A 001E 000A 001E 000A 0365

Volume Up:
0000 006E 0000 0011 000A 0046 000A 0046 000A 0046 000A 001E 000A 001E 000A 001E 000A 0046 000A 001E 000A 0046 000A 001E 000A 0046 000A 001E 000A 001E 000A 001E 000A 001E 000A 001E 000A 0365
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The info from IRTool is just what is needed to make an upgrade. The Pronto Hex decodes as Mitsubishi device 71, with Power = OBC 39, Vol- = OBC 10, and Vol+ = OBC 5.

In RM, start a new upgrade using the Mitsubishi protocol and enter 71 into the device field. Select an appropriate device type (upper right hand corner). Then on the functions page, enter in the OBC values you get from IRTool. Assign the various functions to buttons, and you're basically done making the upgrade. Then you can use IR or RMIR (whatever you're used to) to upload to the remote.

If you're not used to either, I recommend starting with RMIR before even making an upgrade. Download from your remote, do a SaveAs so you can recover in case of a mistake, then on the Devices tab click New. That will bring up the typical RM page. Follow the instructions in the above paragraph, click OK. do a SaveAs, and upload to the remote.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: How to work with raw hex code Reply with quote

buzzster wrote:
I have only done basic stuff with both of these programs but can't find any direction on the forums here for this.... BTW, I did enter some of the hex codes in tool IRTool 1.4, but have no idea what to do with the output.

The hex you are working with is pronto hex. Your comment that you have no idea what to do with the output, seems to indicate that IRTool is not in the same folder as decodeIR.dll. If decodeIR is found you get a user friendly format. If decodeIR is not found you get some frightening looking technical information.

We used to need to use IRTool to get the information in readable form, but now you can look at these through IR and IRScope too.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: How to work with raw hex code Reply with quote

buzzster wrote:
which seems to send keyboard presses.

What do you mean by that?

Quote:
The only thing I have been able to find are some raw hex codes from the Pronto boards.

Post a URL for what you found. I think you might have misunderstood something on the Pronto boards and the Pronto Hex you copied might not be for the device you want to control.

Quote:
Here is a sample of the raw hex I have for 3 buttons:

Those don't look like anything I would call "keyboard presses".

They decode as the signals in the built-in setup code TV/150 in your 15-2104, but rearranged (your Vol- is the CH+ of TV/150, etc.)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already have several upgrades for the remote in question, an older one HERE and a newer one HERE. It requires a custom protocol that's close to Mitsubishi but not quite. HERE's the thread.

John,

This is an MCE remote that sends commands to a USB IR receiver plugged into a PC. Every command results in some sort of keyboard press or mouse move or click on the PC, like Ctrl+Alt+1, Alt+Tab, Start, 1, 2, 3, cursor up, down, etc.
buzzster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: How to work with raw hex code Reply with quote

All,

Thanks so much for the help... I started down the track that 3FG suggested last night and was getting all the OBC's from IRtool (old as it may be) when I got too tired to finish.

It appears that davemj's suggestion may save me alot of time, and am anxious to try that when I get back to my "JP1 capable" PC in a little bit, although it looks like those codes are used in remotes different than mine which is shown here... http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-USB-Remote-Control-Mouse/dp/B001M56DI0/ref=pd_sim_misc_2

I will give you all an update when I get a chance to play with it.... I am sure I will have more questions come up then....

THANKS!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same remote. The 2010 version of the upgrade matches your Pronto codes. I'd load the upgrade and try it before you go too far down the Mitsubishi protocol path which has already been proven not to work.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzster,
Sorry to have led you down the wrong path. I was telling you how to interpret Pronto Hex output from IRTool and to put that into RM. But clearly the Pronto Hex is unlikely to be an effective source for an upgrade.

I do have an interest in how these signals differ from Mitsubishi, and whether our tools for decoding learned signals can be improved. Can you provide a link to the Pronto Hex that you found? And, do you have the original remote? If you can learn any of the buttons and post the resulting IR or RMIR file that contains the learns, I would appreciate it.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE are some learns. THIS thread has more detail. I think Vicky or Rob worked out the timing differences and new protocol.
buzzster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I am back on the hunt now...

3FG, no problem as I am too much of a newbie to know what works or not. I am not sure if the hex codes I referred to are found at the following link...
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Remote-Control-Software/PLEASE-add-the-attached-codes-for-the-Chinavasion-CVSB-983-to/m-p/457695. I do still have the original remote and think I am going to learn some more keys (see below), so let me know if Dave's link did not fit your request.
BTW, given that I have the original remote and USB IR receiver, is there a program that will instantly echo the Hex data / OBC codes /etc... when I press a button on the original remote, or do you always have to learn them into a JP1 remote first?

Dave, I was able to take the 2nd upgrade you linked (The KM one that Vicky did) and loaded that into IR and then my remote. It worked, but I need to make some changes for my needs.

I am using this remote with a program called XBMC that is running on LINUX and I want to be able to use some of the other "Shifted" keys which output letters so I can have some additional custom menu buttons with XBMC (although I may only be able to use the letters a,d,g,j,m,p,t,w as I suspect that multiple presses of a button do not send different IR signals, but are somehow interpreted by the usb IR driver itself). Anyway that is probably TMI.

So, I am going to read up a bit and see if I can find out the OBC's for the aforementioned letters. I don't think they are in the learned file that Dave linked, but they may be as I don't know how the uploader could have designated that he learned the letter "a" from the original remote unless he put it in the notes...
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzster,
It would great if you can also provide some learns taken with your 2104. We'd like to be able to make DecodeIR.dll recognize this signal as being different than Mitsubishi, and learned signals from multiple sources are important to find out which differences are present in every learned signal, versus those which may be a property of the individual teaching and/or learning remotes.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, we did a brute force search of every possible code for this remote a while back and there are no other letters to be found. If you manage to make letters work with triple-tap somehow, I'd be interested in the details. The way I use it is to pop-up an on screen keyboard and use the mouse to type.

The shifted keys don't send different codes, but just tell the driver to interpret them differently.

The "a" in the file is not the letter A but the A key, which simultaneously sends Ctrl+Alt+A, Ctrl+Alt+1 and Ctrl+Alt+F1.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to be using XBMC it might be helpful if you can find/post the XBMC interpretting code.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
buzzster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, that made things more clear and I am glad people that know what they are doing went down this path before,.....so I did some reading and learning and then did some remote learning...

I only learned the "shifted" numbers 2 thru 9 which equals the letters a, d, g, j, m, p, t, w and then pulled them up in IR. Dave you are right, it is the same Device, OBC, Hex Cmd, and EFC as was in the other learned file which only learned the "unshifted" numbers.

Difference is when you go to ...Edit....Data... the series of numbers there is completely different.

So to be specific with my next question:
The left arrow on the original remote has the text "4ghi" above it. When I uploaded Vicky's KM upgrade file to my remote, this button works as the left arrow (as it should).
When I learned the shifted value of this same original remote button and point my 2104 remote at my windows PC, it types a "g" in notepad (as is also expected).

I ultimately want "g" to be the output when I press "Guide" on my 2104. Being that no button in the upgrade file outputs a "g" (and the fact that this "g" shares the same Device, OBC, Hex Cmd, and EFC as the left arrow), is my only recourse to just learn the "shifted" g value on my "Guide" key??

Vicky,

I am not sure what the XBMC interpretting codes are, but I am testing everything on a windows PC instead of doing all the test in XBMC(since that is what the original remote was designed for).
I did try it in XBMC andt he mouse and everything seemed to work good from your original KM upgrade (THANKS!), it is just that I have a desire to have a few extra letters mapped to some buttons on the remote (like info, guide, music, movies, etc...) and don't quite understand how to have those too (like the "g" above).

3FG,
Do you want just a sample of the codes or every key? I would have done it already, but can't figure out how to wipe my remote from IR, so all you have are the learned signals of interest. And I assume if I wipe my remote clean that everything I need will be restored once I reload my saved .ir file.

One other interesting note that is weird to me is that when I hold down the number 9 on the 2104, it initially types a w in notepad then changes to an x. Maybe I held the learn sequence a little long, but the output below was a little strange.....

Protocol Device SubDevice OBC Hex Cmd EFC Misc Note
Mitsubishi 71 14 8F 054
Gap-264-1589-14? 17 14 91.3
Mitsubishi 71 14 8F 054
Akai 7 72 76 129
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you have a saved IR file, you can restore the state of your remote. For learned signal, on the learned tab, isn't there a Delete button? If you follow that with an upload to the remote, that should clear out the learned signals form memory and will make room for more.

The more signals the better, but truthfully 10 or so would probably cover my needs.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: