JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Repaired all of my "worn out" URC-6131 remotes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
utmba95

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Repaired all of my "worn out" URC-6131 remotes Reply with quote

I use two of these, and the 4th of 5 total started going bad last month. I decided to take one apart to repair the buttons that weren't working. I immediately noticed the bad buttons were covered in brown sticky stuff. It turns out that the solder flux was not cleaned well enough when it was built, and somehow it migrated to the buttons. Cleaning the buttons and the circuit board with alcohol and cotton swabs fixed them as good as new. I was really surprised that the problem was worn out conductive rubber bumps. The rubber bumps actually seem to be pretty well built compared to other remotes I've repaired. I'm really glad I don't have to find a new remote to use since I really like the layout on the "old" 6131.
welash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this to 2 of my 3 6131s. I'm surprised there was that much flux left on the boards. They work great now. I won't put it off so long the next time.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is probably not flux. It is oil from your hands that migrates through the rubber over time. (slightly porous) In a few years or less you will find it back again.

If you have any remotes that have plastic inserts over the rubber pad, you won't find the contamination present.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: