JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

extender A7 on 10820
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chester

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still using the extender if I notice any thing else I will post
but so far it is great (except for those 2 things)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester,

I'm pretty sure I found the cause of the AUX2 problem. There is an 09 where there should be a 0A. But I can't check this out, because I STILL can't find my cables.

To fix the extender, in the RAW DATA page in IR change byte ECDB from 09 to 0A and then upload to your remote. That should lift the device limit by 1 and give you back Aux2.

Can you check this out and let me know.
Chester

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Got It
Works good
Thanks
Now I found one other minor issue > the "Fav" key has unpredictable results
when it is not mapped. It seems to loop the remote. the shift and x-shift seem to do the same I just mapped it to a macro and it is fine. It does not appear to do it in all modes like "CD" "AUD" although Im not 100% sure on that. but in "SAT" mode 100% have to remove battery
Thanks again great work I love my 10820
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad the Aux2 is back. I thought that was pretty much a show-stopper for anybody using the 10820.

When you say "loop the remote", is that the same as sending it to nah-nah land? So devices that don't have a FAV key will get hung up ifyou push FAV? Wow, I wonder what I did there.

I can't check this out, because I can't find my tools. I've opened all the boxes that say JP1, and no luck. Basically I'm going to have to wait until I move, and in this market it doesn't look like its going to happen anytime soon.
Chester

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say "loop" I mean the led continues flashing for a minute or so then just stays on and the batteries then have to be removed to reset.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, my extender is not doing something, the remote is doing something.

I have a vague idea that the "earlier remotes simulated a FAV key". That gave me the idea that new remotes expected your device to handle the FAV functionality. Again I have never had a remote with a FAV function. I haven't got a clue as to what a FAV key is.

Can someone tell me , in basic sentences, what does a Fav key do in an modern unextended remote. If I have a idea of how to use it in unextended mode, I'll have a better idea of how to solve the fav key bug.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, usually FAV keys work like a sequence of mini-macros, the easiest example would be a series of preferred channel numbers, like:

0,1,3;0,1,4;1,3,6

such that upon the firrst press of FAV, it sends 013, on the next press, it sends 014, on the third press - 135, and then repeats.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Capn. I bought my 8820 and 10820 remotes used and didn't have an actual physical copy of the manuel. I went back to the manuel online, and see where I got confused. I had read about "Programing a Favorite Channel" which was a macro for your favorite channel. I just didn't read far enough to where they had the "Programming Favorite Channel Scan". None of the other JP1.2 manuels for the Atlas or the Comcast talk about the FAV button at all, and my 7800-Cinema7 didn't have a favorites key.

In the online manuel, I read that " inTV, VCR, DVD, CBL and SAT modes use the FAV key to start a 3-second scan of all favorite channels if programmed. " FAV scan is going to continue until another key is pressed. I haven't allowed for any mechanism to turn this on/off and may have even clobbered the supporting registers, so that's why chester's remote is hanging when there is no macro/or keymove assigned to the key.

When I had read about "Program Favorite Channel" when looking for how this works, and not finding anything about this in the Atlas or Comcast manuels, I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

So I'm going to have to add FAV support to my extenders.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's an alternative functioning of the FAV buton of which I was unaware. As I described it, it required successive presses of the FAV button to go to successive channels on the list, but apparently (as you described it), in some remotes, it SCANS a series of favorite channels that you input.

In either event, I believe that most extenders do not "ADD FAV support", but have the extender DISABLE that pre-programmed FAV functioning to allow you to use it as a regular old button.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a function of the FAV button that I was unaware of too. Although when I go back to research this, I found that John told me this last June. The mini-macro you described IS extender support. Its not native to the remote.

At a minimum, I'm going to have to stop the FAV key from dropping into the "doNormal" code, since it doesn't return control to my extender. I got real frustrated trying to find how FAV's were handled. When I asked last year, if anybody would miss the mini-macro, I didn't get a strong enough response to make me continue looking for the elusive beast. Since its not something I'm ever going to use, I got lazy.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it really been 2+ years since I discovered the device issue in the 8820N extender, until I actually got around to patching it! Sheesh, this totally fell off the radar. I finally updated the HEX and IR files so that
ECDB is changed from 09 to 0A so that AUX2 works.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
andyross

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any hints on how to make the FAV key work properly? I know I have to put a regular Macro on it so it doesn't freak out if undefined. Is there any way to get some form of DSM on it, if not getting it to work properly? I'd like to use it on more than one device, but with a regular macro, am stuck with it always doing the same thing.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyross wrote:
Any hints on how to make the FAV key work properly? I know I have to put a regular Macro on it so it doesn't freak out if undefined. Is there any way to get some form of DSM on it, if not getting it to work properly? I'd like to use it on more than one device, but with a regular macro, am stuck with it always doing the same thing.

Yes you can program any keymoves or special protocol keymoves on the FAV key. Just put a safety macro on the FAV key so that you don't have to define a keymove in all 10 modes. A do-nothing macro like a macro that only has x_cancel in it, is fine. We just need to make sure we to keep the remote from falling into the native FAV function for the device types that have that timed FAV key functionality.

My favorite use for the FAV key is to use it as the SHIFT key. Its so conveniently located and not sunken like the normal SET key. That's why I never found the bug while it was in testing. I used it for the shift/xshift key.

So bottom line, put some kind of function on the FAV that will stop it from falling into native FAV key processing.

If the extender tests to see is it the shift key, a keymove, or a macro if none of those cases are met for the current device mode, it falls into normal processing, and that is when we get into trouble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: