JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Niles 8-device remote at BestBuy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Choven1218

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Niles 8-device remote at BestBuy Reply with quote

My 6131 is dying so I'm in the market for a new remote. While searching for JP1 remotes, I ran across the Niles 8-device learning remote here. Based on UEI's website, this could be an 8-device Potenza remote (can't find a model number). Additionally, on the One-for-All homepage http://www.oneforall.com , the picture for the "Cable Replacement" remote near the bottom looks to be identical. The design could be the newer version of the OARP05S (or RCRP05B) based on the OARP05S webpage. Does anyone know if this device is JP1.x compatible? Thanks...

Choven

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if this is a JP1.x remote or not, but the RCA RCRP05B is a 5 device remote without a cable, is an 8 device remote when used with a cable.

I just picked up a RCA RCRP05B remote for 12.95 at Meijers today. When comparing the Niles at 49.99 to the RCA 12.95+ cable, I'm not torn at all. The RCA is a better deal and allows you to purchase a cable.

Your 6131 uses a different cable than the Flash remotes.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely UEI according to the MANUAL and CODES list. But $50 is pretty steep. I hope this new design finds it's way into cheaper models soon.
Choven1218

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I didn't know if my old cable would work with the newer models, but investing in another cable will not be an issue. Thanks again...

Choven
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choven1218 wrote:
I didn't know if my old cable would work with the newer models, but investing in another cable will not be an issue. Thanks again...

Choven

Well we still don't know if this has a JP1.x connection, but the EEPROM remotes have been out of production for 6 or so years, so the chances of it being a plain JP1 remote with this new design, are highly unlikely.

I am interpreting your "investing in another cable will not be an issue" to mean you know the value of the cable and tools. So many new users say, why should I pay $30 for a cable for me $2 remote. Rolling Eyes I know that investing in the first cable was difficult for ME to justify, but now like you "investing in another cable is not an issue." That being said, I see that someone reported a connector labeled JP1.4 this week. Ewwwww.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wished the OARP05S actually looked like that. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: