JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-9960's wave file

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alfredyf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: URC-9960's wave file Reply with quote

Hi,

I just got the JP1 cable and successfully convert the learned key into device code using IR.exe.
Can anyone tell me how to make a wave file like OFA for upgrade the device code thru' phone?
According the guideline about IRtoWav, is this the wave file generated which covered all the memory, including keymove, macro etc? Any method for upgrade device code only?

Thanks a lot.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an optional input to IRtoWav which tells it what part of the eeprom to convert. I forget where that is documented.

In the RDF file it tells you where the upgrade area begins. If you look in the raw data tab (especially if you've done a "clean upper memory" command) it shouldn't be too hard to spot where the used portion of the upgrade area ends.

Note that you can limit a wav file (as I described above) to just upgrades (no KeyMoves, Learned signals, etc.). But it is all upgrades in the source image and will replace all upgrades in the remote where it is loaded. You can't make a wav file that would add one upgrade, leaving any previous upgrades unchanged.
Alfredyf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Johnsfine,

Suppose my friend has added one upgrade code XXXX to his URC-9960 before, and I want to send the other new code YYYY to him for his other device.
Do you mean, if the wave file I created by IRtoWav (do not contain XXXX code), my friend will lose the code XXXX after upgrade?
(Just ignore the keymove, learned signal issue)

Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what he means. When you use a JP1 cable, you can first download the remote's current memory and then add to it, but the contents of a WAV file are designed to overlay all of the upgrades in the remote's memory, so unless you have a way of capturing your friends memory image, or at least, a way of re-creating it, you will wipe out his current upgrades.

Now, if you get your friend to tell you what upgrade he downloaded, maybe you can download it also, then use that as your starting point. Or, you could ask your friend what setup code he is using from the upgrade and what device he is controlling with it, and then you could check the file section to see if we already have an upgrade made for that device, then you could use that to build your starting point.
Alfredyf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Is there any way to make the wave file that I can add new code instead of wipe out the current upgrades?

How about the OFA support centre, if their wave file is wiping out the current upgrades also?

Thanks.
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfredyf wrote:

Is there any way to make the wave file that I can add new code instead of wipe out the current upgrades?

It would be theoretically possible, with some hex editing, to define an upgrade that would be loaded just after your existing upgrades. But it would require knowing exactly the structure of your current configuration, which can only be done with a JP1 interface. And if you have a JP1 interface, the wave interface is pretty useless.

Alternatively, you can create a complete image of your configuration, including any upgrades, macros, protocols and keymoves you want with KM/RM and IR and generate the corresponding complete wave file. Once done, you can make further changes to the image in a non destructive way with KM/RM and IR.

Alfredyf wrote:
How about the OFA support centre, if their wave file is wiping out the current upgrades also?

That how it is supposed to work. I presume OFA hopes to satisfy most customers that are only needing a single upgrade with that procedure, while those requiring more than one upgrade will need to send their remote to OFA.

Alain
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aberguerand wrote:
Alfredyf wrote:

It would be theoretically possible, with some hex editing, to define an upgrade that would be loaded just after your existing upgrades.

It also would need to patch the table pointing to the upgrades.

aberguerand wrote:

But it would require knowing exactly the structure of your current configuration, which can only be done with a JP1 interface. And if you have a JP1 interface, the wave interface is pretty useless.

If you had all the info necessary to recreate the original upgrade, you could easily create a new .wav file containg both upgrades, or with great difficulty you could create the smaller .wav file to just add the new upgrade. Either way you need detailed knowledge of the first upgrade. Once you have that, I can't imagine the advantages of a smaller .wav culd be worth the trouble.

aberguerand wrote:

Alternatively, you can create a complete image of your configuration, including any upgrades, macros, protocols and keymoves you want with KM/RM and IR and generate the corresponding complete wave file.

There is no reason to go to that extreeme. Upgrades are seperate from the other things, so you just want to duplicate the whole upgrade area of the target remote, not the whole eeprom.

aberguerand wrote:

Alfredyf wrote:

That how it is supposed to work. I presume OFA hopes to satisfy most customers that are only needing a single upgrade with that procedure, while those requiring more than one upgrade will need to send their remote to OFA.

When they know which upgrades you already have, they create .wav files that merge your previous upgrades with the new ones. I'm not sure what mixture of customer tracking vs. asking the customer each time they use, but we have seen plenty of examples of them generating .wav files that correctly include both a previous upgrade the customer still needs and a new upgrade.

They do not tell you to send it back to get more than one upgrade. Once they know which upgrades you have and still need, they're past the hard part and can send the right .wav file. If they don't know that, they wouldn't know to try to find out, so they'd just send a wrong .wav and still wouldn't suggest sending the remote in.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfredyf wrote:

Yes there is, I detailed your options in my earlier post...

The Robman wrote:
If you get your friend to tell you what upgrade he downloaded, maybe you can download it also, then use that as your starting point. Or, you could ask your friend what setup code he is using from the upgrade and what device he is controlling with it, and then you could check the file section to see if we already have an upgrade made for that device, then you could use that to build your starting point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: