JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New cable remote
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcycle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
There are two separate issues being discussed here:
1) how to get JP1 working with the OP's linux box, and
2) getting an upgrade for his Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100 STB that works with his URC-8811 remote.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of what was done to get things working with linux, but the original thread on the subject is here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2895

Also, according to the following post, RMIR (the java version of IR.exe) also works under linux:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10849

Download it from here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8950

As for the STB, once you get JP1 working and can read from your remote, you can then learn the signals from your STB remote using the URC-8811 and then download the memory so we can see what signal it uses. From there we can get you set up with an upgrade. But first things first, let's get your JP1 cable working.

Exactly right - good post.

I can't seem to get the cable working either in linux or windows is the problem right now. Linux keeps saying "privileged instruction" - i've pretty much given up on that for now - and the windows errors I listed above. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the problem.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Linux
Which program are you trying to use? If you've just been using IR.exe, why not try the Java program RMIR as other people have got that working with Linux.

Re: Windows
What OS are you using? If it's XP, do you have admin rights?

What sort of JP1 cable are you using, and where did you get it from? If it's a USB cable, did you install any drivers, and if so, which version and where did you get them from?

If you're able to get the "no date found in sig" message, it sounds like you're able to download something, so try this...

1. Fire up IR.exe
2. Select Advanced > Enable Raw Download
3. In the General tab, click the new Raw Download button.
4. If the download is successful, save the file and post a copy of it in the Diagnosis Area, then post a link to the file here.

Back to the question of which code will work your SA Explorer box, all Explorer boxes that we've seen so far respond to the same code set. There are two setup codes in your URC-8811 which use the same codeset, and those are CBL/0477 and CBL/0877. I would be VERY surprised if the Explorer 3100 doesn't work with these two setup codes. I know you said that you tested CBL/0877, so could you explain what steps you took to test it, so we can try and spot what you might have done wrong.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Linux
I don't recall what "privileged instruction" means for linux(i've seen that on windows though). Are you running wine as root? Is the parallel port device /dev/lp0 created and available? Check wine's mapping of windows devices(LPT1:) to the linux devices(/dev/lp0).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: