JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help - Comcast Remote - PC Control
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plomaris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Need help - Comcast Remote - PC Control Reply with quote

I'm looking to control my PC with my existing Comcast 1067Bx3 remote. I've read a lot of posts on here about some of the no name remotes and the protocols that work and such. I'm not a JP1 expert, but I have successfully programmed 3 of these remotes with my JP1.3 cable.

What I need help with is which "cheap" PC remote should I buy (eBay/Amazon) in order to get the IR receiver that will work. Also, which upgrade (Remote Master preferred) should I use with my remote to get most if not all the features of the original remote. I plan on putting the PC on the dev3 button, which is accessed via Setup-Aux.

Also, I've seen some of the upgrades that have some functions stored in a separate file. How would these be incorporated into Remote Master/IR and then to the remote?

Finally, another thing I've seen is that the device on some upgrades is listed as "Cable". Could I (should I) change this to something like PVR, or does it matter?

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks in advance.

Tom
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need help - Comcast Remote - PC Control Reply with quote

Plomaris wrote:
What I need help with is which "cheap" PC remote should I buy (eBay/Amazon) in order to get the IR receiver that will work. Also, which upgrade (Remote Master preferred) should I use with my remote to get most if not all the features of the original remote.

Hi Tom, I'm no expert in "PC remotes" but I know that the Streamzap works (and we have an upgrade for it), here's one on ebay for $35 shipped:
http://cgi.ebay.com/140465438512

But then again, you can get "no name" controls for under $5, but there's no way to tell if any of our upgrades will work them. If you had a learning remote or IR widget that wouldn't be a problem because you could capture the signals and build the upgrade yourself. Here's one that's under $5 shipped:
http://cgi.ebay.com/250536310342

Plomaris wrote:
Also, I've seen some of the upgrades that have some functions stored in a separate file. How would these be incorporated into Remote Master/IR and then to the remote?

I've never seen an upgrade where the functions were in a separate file, could you please post a link to an example?

Plomaris wrote:
Finally, another thing I've seen is that the device on some upgrades is listed as "Cable". Could I (should I) change this to something like PVR, or does it matter?

You are free to change it to whatever you like.
Plomaris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob - First, thanks for the prompt reply. Again, I'm kinda new to JP1, so forgive me if my questions are stupid.

As to the "upgrade in a separate file", I'm referring to the "no name USB remote for Windows (arrow keys)" rm file. I don't understand why the arrow keys are separate from the regular rm file.

Any ideas for an IR widget? Would a regular IR receiver work, perhaps with software to read the codes.

Thanks again.

Tom
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Need help - Comcast Remote - PC Control Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Plomaris wrote:

You are free to change it to whatever you like.

Changing the upgrade type can change punch through. On these cable remotes, there is some strong punch through to the cable device. I'm not sure on this one, but some cable remotes won't let you use the menu button if you are not in cable mode, unless you do a keymove.

Quote:

Any ideas for an IR widget? Would a regular IR receiver work, perhaps with software to read the codes.

An IR Widget is really cool, but a learning remote will capture most signals well enough to build an upgrade. I like , no like is too mild a word, I LOVE my widget, but if money is in short supply I'd recommend a cheapy learning remote like the RCA RCP50B. It will work with your cable and it can also be a 5-8 device remote.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS is the "no name" remote. The upgrade works beautifully with all my JP1.3 remotes.

Separate upgrade files were just interim steps during development of the upgrade. Just use the final combo upgrade. To avoid more confusion in the future, I'd say the other upgrade files should probably be deleted.
Plomaris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I try to load the combo upgrade into either Remote Master or RMIR v2.00, i get gobs of Java errors. I have the most recent version of Java (1.6.0_22), so I have no idea what is wrong. The error message has stuff like "illegal argument exception" and "beyond the eeprom size" in it.

I am able to load the non-combo version with no problem.

Any ideas???
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. It doesn't work in the latest RM. The combo version used to work fine in earlier versions of RM because that's how I loaded it into all my remotes. I think you've found a bug. Maybe an expert will chime in.

THIS is the upgrade in question.
Plomaris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - I was able to load the upgrade in to RM finally. I had to edit the combo file to change the remote. Then I was able to load it. I'll need to update the button mapping, but hopefully it will work.

Thanks!

Tom
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob fixed that combo file (Thanks, Rob). Turned out not to be a bug but an error in the Atlas extender RDF it was originally made for.
Plomaris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Got the MCE Remote and loaded the upgrade to the remote.... Reply with quote

I got the MCE remote and uploaded the upgrade. However, I can't seem to select the "dev3" device on the Comcast Remote (URC-1067Bx3 - 3039039). I thought that to select "dev3" on the remote, you hit Setup and then Aux. However, when I do that, the remote stays in Aux mode, meaning it controls my Sony Blu Ray player.

How do I select the "dev3" device?

Thanks.

Tom
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want it on shift-Aux, then make a macro on shift-Aux and add dev3 as the only step.
Plomaris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that didn't seem to work. Now when I hit Setup and then AUX, no buttons light up.

In Remote Master, I created a Macro as such:
Target Key: SHIFT-AUX
Macro Keys: dev3

And that's it.

I'm not that familiar with making macros with RM, so I may have done it wrong.

Any ideas?
Plomaris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I did it backwards, so I redid it and now I have this:

Target Key: dev3
Macro Keys: SHIFT-AUX

However, it still doesn't work, or I'm not selecting it right.

SHIFT-AUX means to press and release Setup quickly, then press and release AUX quickly, right?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plomaris wrote:

Any ideas?

Post your IR file in the diagnosis section and place a link to that file in this thread. Then someone can give you the help you need.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Plomaris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I posted the IR file.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9054
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: