JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What is the fastest JP1 remote with RF?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sofakng

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: What is the fastest JP1 remote with RF? Reply with quote

I've used a Radio Shack 15-2117 (I think) for years and it worked great but the RF receiver eventually had a problem and it was sending a constant IR signal even with no buttons pressed.

Afterwards I moved to a Harmony 890 but it's very slow, feels cheap, and has a problem when hitting a button multiple times. (eg. it buffers/bursts commands and it's really bad)

Now I've ordered a URC MX-980 plus MRF-350 (very expensive) and I'm pretty happy with it but I can't help thinking about my trusty $20 JP1 remote.

Anyways, what is the fastest JP1 remote with RF? (fastest meaning it can send signals just as fast as an OEM remote)

What is the most "advanced" JP1 remote with RF?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no such thing as fast or slow with JP1 remotes, they either work or they don't. The RF boxes that come with remotes like the 15-2117 have a known issue where they are susceptible to RF noise from things like fluorescent lights, etc.

Someone came up with a mod that addresses this here:
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-one4all/thread.cgi?3749#488751

If you want to see some pics of the inside of the RF box, there are some if the following mod doc (which describes how to make the box run using a DC adapter):
http://www.hifi-remote.com/files/help/RS15-2117-240V.pdf
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by 'fast'.

If you mean the macro speed, any JP1 remote with an extender will be very fast. A remote without an extender will execute macros fairly slow.

FYI - there is a switch buried in the Harmony software to make macros go faster.

xnappo
sofakng

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about repeatedly pressing a button (like an arrow key) and having it send out each signal quickly.

The Harmony (even with 0 delays in those advanced settings) buffers commands so for example if you press the down arrow six times quickly, after you let go of the button the remote will still be sending a signal for several seconds.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sofakng wrote:
I'm talking about repeatedly pressing a button (like an arrow key) and having it send out each signal quickly.

The Harmony (even with 0 delays in those advanced settings) buffers commands so for example if you press the down arrow six times quickly, after you let go of the button the remote will still be sending a signal for several seconds.

Yeah, any JP1 remote is much faster for that sort of thing.

Really I think your main problem is going to be finding an RF capable remote...

xnappo
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ewwww

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the fastest JP1 remote with RF? Reply with quote

sofakng wrote:
What is the most "advanced" JP1 remote with RF?
I think the most recently made is the URC-9910. It's JP1 and uses the same RF base as the 2117. I used to have lots of them but sold them all over the years. As I recall, they were very quick, as were my 2117's. The Xsight Touch is a current UEI RF remote. It's not JP1, but seemed plenty fast when I owned one for a few weeks. I have to admit, I don't normally press the buttons as fast as humanly possible like you do. A quarter second between presses is my limit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: