JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A thought: Create RID files for custom ReplayTV codes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixt7gt350

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: A thought: Create RID files for custom ReplayTV codes Reply with quote

With all the IR and HEX experts here, I was wondering if anyone had looked at making a program able to create/modify RID files for ReplayTV using the knowledge that went into IR and KM?
The code has been cracked for the RID files.
This group, I'm sure, has many Replay owners and some of them probably have devices they'd like their Replays to control and currently can't.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did start looking into this a while back, but just didn't have the free time to pursue it any further. I do recal that there are three different formats used, one for the 2000/3000 units, another for the 4000 and yest another for the 5000 series. IIRC, "FlipFlop" did dig into this and was able to create a few upgrades himself.
sixt7gt350

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He asked for a KM text file, which I sent to him.
It wasn't enough to make the RID from.
He said a CCF would probably do it.
Being JP1-equipped, I'm Pronto-less and couldn't make the CCF.
Robman: Being the remote god that you are, do you have a Pronto laying around? I'm thinking you could take the KM file into an old 15-1994, learn it into the Pronto, then upload the CCF. (Which, I realize, is a lot of work for you and for what benefit to you? Exalting your remote god status, I guess.)

Thanks.

KM text file
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one use a CCF to make the RID?

A Pronto is actually neither necessary nor particularly helpful in the task of making a CCF starting with JP1 data:

1) Get the protocol name, device number, and subdevice (if any) from the KM upgrade.

2) Get makehex and select the right .irp file. Edit it for the device and subdevice, and drag/drop the .irp onto makehex.exe to create a .hex file (text file containing Pronto Hex).

3) Get and open IrPanels.exe

4) Edit the .hex file with a text editor (Notepad or similar program) select all and copy. Then paste into IrPanels to produce a CCF file.

The CCF file will have all the functions on numbered buttons. In the functions sheet of KM you have all the function names in one colum and the numbers (OBC) in another. Depending on what you plan to do with the ccf, there are various ways (but none automated) for combining the ccf with the function names.

One way is to get ProntoEdit (a big but free download, and you don't need to own a Pronto) and maually edit all the button names in the ccf (and delete any numbered buttons whose numbers don't correspond to functions).

For most situations in which a ccf is used to get signals to some other form, having the correct button names in the ccf wouldn't help much. The correct names are better edited in after the signals are ported to the final form.

That whole process isn't exactly easy. But it's easier than learning the signals or any other method that would involve the actual Pronto.
sixt7gt350

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU!

That was the help I needed.
CCF file in progress now....
FlipFlop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
How does one use a CCF to make the RID?

The ReplayTV IR Blaster (.RID) files are set up almost the same as the learned pronto codes, with a clock frequency and then a sequence of on/off counts. I made a program which makes it easier to manipulate these files, and included a function which converts the Pronto HEX data to the RID format.

For details, see the thread over on AVSForum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=267352

I'll take a look at MakeHex and see if there is a way to add a function to my program to automate the EFC -> RID conversion process. I probably can just write out some temp files and run makehex.exe, and then read in the results. Is there a DLL version of MakeHex that could be linked in like DecodeIR.dll ?
FlipFlop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up: I did add DecodeIR and MakeHex support into the RIDGen program, so the MakeHex stuff that sixt7gt350 did is now automated and easy to do. Just type in the protocol name, device number, and EFC codes, and click a button.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6297395#post6297395

With DecodeIR you can reverse the process and test the codes you entered to see if the protocol, device, and EFCs are correct.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey FlipFlop, have you tried re-downloading any of your attachments from that AVS thread? I've tried downloading them both at home and at work and it doesn't work. I don't know if it's a firewal thing or a problem with the AVS software.

But anyway, you're more than welcome to store copies of your programs over here in our file section if you like.
FlipFlop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried downloading, and it works for me. They do open a pop-up window to do the download, so maybe the pop-up is getting blocked on your machines.

What would be an appropriate location to store the files here? Maybe make a new subcategory under "Miscellaneous"? It would be nice to start a collection of RID files that others can contribute to.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlipFlop wrote:
I just tried downloading, and it works for me. They do open a pop-up window to do the download, so maybe the pop-up is getting blocked on your machines.

Nah, I get the pop-up to attach files to posts, but I still can't download the attachment.

FlipFlop wrote:
What would be an appropriate location to store the files here? Maybe make a new subcategory under "Miscellaneous"? It would be nice to start a collection of RID files that others can contribute to.

I have just created two new folders with this in mind.

This folder is for programs not directly JP1 related (such as yours):
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=85

This folder is explicitly for ReplayTV RID files:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=84
FlipFlop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

This folder is for programs not directly JP1 related (such as yours):

It doesn't look like I have permission to upload anything into the tools section, so I uploaded everything to the ReplayTV RID section. Feel free to move the program over to the tools section.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlipFlop wrote:
It doesn't look like I have permission to upload anything into the tools section, so I uploaded everything to the ReplayTV RID section. Feel free to move the program over to the tools section.

Sorry about that, a higher level permission was overriding the lower level permission.

I have moved the RID generator and have (hopefully) fixed the permissions thing.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a problem with RIDGen when you try to use it with the NEC protocol and a sub-device. For example, if you enter NEC1 with device code 2 and sub-device code 2, what you end up with is NEC1 with device code 2 (and no sub-device).

It appears that the sub-device is not being passed to MakeHex.

If you manually edit the binary and check it with DecodeIR, it's OK.

Another issue, if you change an NEC1 signal to NEC2 then try to verify it using DecodeIR, you get the message "Fixed sequence didn't end with a low output". This appears to be because the Initial Bits box is empty, because if you duplicate the Repeated Bits data into the Initial Bits box, it works OK. So ideally, the program should be modified to allow for an empty Initial Bits box, or it should duplicate the repeating data there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: