JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adding EEPROM to URC-6012

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hhyatt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Adding EEPROM to URC-6012 Reply with quote

I'm trying to add EEPROM to URC 6012. I got it to work but I'm not using extender. I've never done this and I'm having a little trouble understanding the whole process.

I added an Amtel chip (16K I believe) Mouser # 556-AT24C16N10SI2.7. I tried to find the address of the chip but I have Windows XP and had to install allowio to use testEEPROM. I couldn't get the program to give me an address of the form that others have posted or that might be used in the required RDF file. I'm going to try to run the program on another computer using an older operating system to see if I have better luck.

Questions that I have are:

Is the chip a 16K chip as I assume it is?

If I use a RDF for an 8K chip will the system work using only 8K of the memory.

If not, is there an RDF for a 16K chip.

Thanks,
HHyatt
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Adding EEPROM to URC-6012 Reply with quote

hhyatt wrote:
I added an Amtel chip (16K I believe) Mouser # 556-AT24C16N10SI2.7.

That's only a 2k (bytes) EEPROM; the "16" in the part # indicates 16k bits. You should be able to use the 2k RDF. Also, did you remember to do a 981 reset to initialize the EEPROM?
hhyatt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thabks for the info. It is very confusing to me (determinig "size of memory"). The 2k will probably do all I want. I mainly wanted to get experience soldering in tight places. I thinking of moving on to X-Box mods.

What about the fact that I couldn/t get allowio to work. Do I need to reinstall the entire Porttalk package (on my XP machine).

Also can anyone offer a referral to some website where I can fundamentally learn more about eeprom sizes?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllowIO should be built into IR.exe and it should work as long as you are logged on with admin privileges.

As for the memory, like Mark said, a 24C16 chip has 16k "bits" of memory, or 2k "bytes. In the JP1 world, we generally refer to the chips by their "byte" capacity, so your chip is a 2k.

All remotes have built in support for EEPROM chips up to 2k (bytes) in size, without requiring the use of an extender.

The URC-6012 family of remotes (ie, 6011, 6012, 8011, 8017, 8811) have buggy support for chips larger than 2k, which is why we need to find the special address and feed that address into the extender to fully utilize all of the available memory.
hhyatt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I should be able to find the eeprom address from within the IR program? I don't see anything on IR screens to do that. But if I read you right I can use the standard URC-881x/801x/601x file and don't really need this information since I don't need an extender (BTW that has been a point of confusion in the past since extenders are also the name used to convert IR to RF and extend the reach of the signal to another room).

I was trying to read the eeprom address by using the testEEPROM file in the big6012eeprom folder. One of the readme files said that I could run testEEPROM directly with Windows 98 class operating system but would need the AllowIO file (and Admin priviledge) to run it in Windows XP. It referred me to http://www.beyondlogic.org/porttalk/porttalk.htm. This site led me to the PortTalk program which required adding a driver to Windows\System32 and included a registry modification file.

I did all of these things and ran allowio_testEEPROM in a command window. The program ran, but didn't give me an address of the form that the documentation indicated that it should. I don't suppose I really need to run the application for my current project, but I would like to know how in case I need to in the future.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need the special address for big chips (ie, over 2k).

My comment about using IR was with regards to AllowIO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: