JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Excel and DecodeIR.dll
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I've seen the master file, I guess I'm still not clear on what you're trying to do. That file is divided into tabs where each tab is a specific Sony device code. Each function listed in the tabs has it's OBC listed along with the pronto hex, so what additional info would you be looking to get from DecodeIR?

For example, let's pick a function at random, let's pick the "0013" tab and the "Memory" function, which is labeled as "14". The pronto hex is listed as:

0000 0067 0000 000D 0060 0018 0018 0018 0030 0018 0030 0018 0030 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0030 0018 0018 0018 0030 0018 0030 0018 0018 03DE

Now, let's drop this into IRTool (which uses DecodeIR) and we can see that DecodeIR lists it as:

Sony12, device 13, OBC 14

Which is exactly what the spreadsheet said it was.

You also mentioned that you want to decode other signals, not just Sony. Would I be right in assuming that most of those other signals would be coming from Pronto CCF files rather than spreadsheets? If so, what you need to do is run the CCF file through a program called DecodeCCF (which also uses DecodeIR). That program will decode all the signals in the CCF and save them in a tab delimited file, which you can then open using Excel if you like.

Once you get the protocol info, how are you inputting that into the Sony programmable remotes?

NOTE: One footnote about the tab names in the spreadsheet, for the Sony20 signals it uses the old device code format, so here's a translation table that converts them into the current format:

1370 = 26.42
2138 = 26.66
2362 = 26.73
3162 = 26.98
3130 = 26.97
4279 = 23.133
Mr Mod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at that spread sheet you mentioned, there is this term =decode on sheet work2 cell AC1. I cant see anything in the the sheets or in Excel telling me what this does or how to use it. This could help me out.

I have another spreadsheet that allows me to input a manufacturer, device, command etc and will output the codes into a format the Sony understands. So what i would like to do is try to automate it by opening a CCF or by placing a discrete from any manufacturer and getting the resultant code.

John Fine created a table of manufacturers locate here
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3553

This other spread sheet allows for the conversion and is located here
http://users.tpg.com.au/mr_mod/create%20Sony%20format.xls

I have spent a while thinking about what it is i am trying to do

So I guess in essence what I'm really trying to do is 2 separate task;
1. Automate the last spread sheet so that i can enter a pronto CCF or hex code
2: Update the original spreadsheet to include separate columns for the Sony format and the Sony CIS modules
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mod wrote:
I am looking at that spread sheet you mentioned, there is this term =decode on sheet work2 cell AC1. I cant see anything in the the sheets or in excel telling me what this does or how to use it. This could help me out.

Select Insert > Name > Define then select the item (ie, decode) to see its contents.

Here's the formula that it contains:

=IF(OR(LEFT(work2!H1,4)="0017", LEFT(work2!H1,4)="0018", LEFT(work2!H1,4)="0019"),0, IF(OR(LEFT(work2!H1,4)="002e", LEFT(work2!H1,4)="002f", LEFT(work2!H1,4)="0030", LEFT(work2!H1,4)="0031", LEFT(work2!H1,4)="0032"),1,""))

Basically, it's looking for pairs that start with "0017", "0018" or "0019 and converting them to logical zeroes. It also looks for pairs that start with "002e", "002f", "0030", "0031" or "0032" and converts them to logical ones.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mod wrote:
So i guess in essence what im really trying to do is 2 separate task;
1. auto mate the last spread sheet so that i can enter a pronto ccf or hex code
2: Update the original spreadsheet to include separate columns for the Sony format and the Sony CIS modules

If you have a complete CCF file, you should use DecodeCCF to decode it.

If you have an individual hex code, you should use IRTool to decode it.

By "Sony format" do you mean Sony12 vs. Sony15 vs. Sony20 ? If so, device codes 0-31 generally use Sony12, single device codes over 31 use Sony15 and the 4-digit device codes use Sony20. You could also verify this by examining the length of the pronto hex.

I don't know what "Sony CIS modules" means.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at this a little bit. It turns out that DecodeIR and ExchangeIR declare functions as _stdcall, so they should not need a wrapper dll, as Liz already wrote. By contrast jp12serial.dll does require a wrapper.

I did get the easy functions (Version, ProtocolSupportLevel, and EnumerateProtocols) to work in Excel, and I suppose that DecodeIR can be made to work, although as Liz says, there is some fiddling required to get the variable length integer arrays correctly passed.

I'm not sure that I see the need for calling DecodeIR from Excel.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mod wrote:

Did you create this spreadsheet? If so, could you tell me how cell AA1 gets populated? I'm guessing that it's a macro, but I can't see any macros in the spreadsheet, even though I get the macro message when I open it.
Mr Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Mr Mod wrote:

Did you create this spreadsheet? If so, could you tell me how cell AA1 gets populated? I'm guessing that it's a macro, but I can't see any macros in the spreadsheet, even though I get the macro message when I open it.

This spread sheet came from somebody a few years back at remotecentral, I believe John helped him out with it. Cell AA1 is populated from the drop down list (protocol) which gets its values from cells AB1 to 38.

Im not a programmer of sorts but was laid off last month so have time on my hands to try learning a few things about VB6 and VBA.

I thought at one stage i could possibly tidy this up and automate it so it could just take a ccf and spit out the required format codes.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mod wrote:
Cell AA1 is populated from the drop down list (protocol) which gets its values from cells AB1 to 38.

I can see the source of the data, but what I don't see if how the data physically gets there. I'm guessing that the macros are protected which is why I can't see them.

Mr Mod wrote:
Im not a programmer of sorts but was laid off last month so have time on my hands to try learning a few things about VB6 and VBA.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully you'll find something else.

Mr Mod wrote:
I thought at one stage i could possibly tidy this up and automate it so it could just take a ccf and spit out the required format codes.

A more realistic option is to clone John's DecodeCCF program so that it outputs data in the Sony format in addition to the JP1 format.

Alternatively, you could create a spreadsheet which has an input sheet where you could paste the file created by DecodeCCF and have it format the Sony data for you. That shouldn't be too hard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: