JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1 Upgrades - cross-reference list
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idea is that rmir would be distributed with the current version of list at the time of release. But hopefully the list will be very dynamic and get updated much more frequently than rmir, so it would be nice if rmir could auto update the list when there is an Internet connection and the list is out of date.

All of this is to allow users to search for possible available upgrades for their devices from within Rmir, and that specific feature would not work while they are offline. Everything else would work normally.

So having an Internet connection is not required, but we take advantage of it when there is one.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Rob,

You can add the following macro to your spreadsheet to download the selected File ID:

Code:
Sub Fetch()
    Dim addrs As String
    If ActiveCell.Column = 1 Then
        addrs = "http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=" + CStr(ActiveCell.Value)
        ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:=addrs
    End If
End Sub

Use action=download to download the file or action=file to see the description first.

I've added the macro but it doesn't convert the cell contents into a link, to make it work I have to select Tools>Macro>Macros>select Fetch>Click Run

Is there a way to convert the cell contents into a link?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just assign the macro to a key (Tools>Macro>Macros>select Fetch>Click Options). I use Ctrl+F for Fetch.

Or you could add this code to the worksheet and fetch the file by just double-clicking the cell:
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
    Fetch
End Sub

To make hyperlinks automatically, insert a column and paste in this function:
Code:
=HYPERLINK("http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=download&file_id="&$A2,"Download")

Download is the text shown in the cell. Change that to whatever you want.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to "add code to the worksheet" so I added the link the other way. I added a drop down to the column heading for the new column which lets the user decide whether the links with download the file or view the web page.

This is version 1.01
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8487
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll work. By "add code to the worksheet" I mean inside the VBA editor, paste the code into the code page for Sheet1 instead of Module1.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Regarding downloading from RemoteCentral, I think that could be a can of worms, and I'm reluctant to start on it now. Also, I want to add some more functionality to the existing app.

Fair enough, but what about the JP1 Yahoo group files, would you be willing to make a clone that could do that? I'd be looking for something that would download ALL of the files, not just the upgrades, so I could go through them and verify what's what.

Last edited by The Robman on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me an invitation, and I'll take a look.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

done
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
So far, I haven't been able to handle the login requirements for file downloading. While I haven't given up, it would help if you could describe more closely what you want.

Do you want to download all of the files? Or just have a spreadsheet which lists file names and descriptions?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean you can't even download the files by hand? What error are you getting?

I'm primarily looking to download all of the files in one go so I can then check to see which ones still need to be copied over to our file section.

Btw, I've thought of a nice new feature that you could add to the current app. If you use the "view all" button in the file section, and then sort by descending date, you can see which new files have been added. It would be cool if we can use this somehow in the app to download the new files.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=viewall
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I can download by hand easily. However, downloading via program is usually done with WebRequest/WebResponse. Invoking those controls takes me to a login screen, presumably because the authentication cookies are stored in a different location than used by a browser. So far, I haven't been able to get the authentication cookies to persist across multiple calls to WebRequest.

Or, I can use the WebBrowser control (which invokes a local copy of IE) and already be logged in to Yahoo. But then file downloads trigger the file save dialog.

Some people say automated downloading isn't possible, and others provide code snippets that are purported to work. I haven't got them to work so far.

There are a few more things to try. But at some point I'll probably just download the files by hand. In that case, I want to traverse the file storage tree only once, so I want to be sure that we know just what information is needed.

Yes, I already expected that we would want to sort by date, and I think it is doable.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to do it by hand, don't spend the time on it. I think we got all of the device upgrades when we did the original exercise back in 2004, I just wanted to make sure that we got everything.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, in 2005 we were moving things too. I just emailed you few related things, but I recall next to nothing Sad other than looks like all .rmdu files got moved at some point.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
I found a commercial program that downloads from Yahoo groups. The demo version does work, but is limited to 10 files. I've ordered the program (it is cheap), and once the files are downloaded, I'll zip them and send them to you privately.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, could you make a version of your app that lets the user select the folder that they want to download. That would make it possible to download the sub-folders using it (eg, Apex DVD, etc). It would also let me use it to download the files in the Slingbox RM files folder.

In the meantime, I have temporarily moved the folder into the Device Upgrade section so I can use the app to get the files.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: