JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1 Upgrades - cross-reference list
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I'm thinking:

A user wants to add a Device upgrade to her rmir configuration. On the devices tab, she presses Add/New. There will be a Search button next to the Load button (or maybe it'll be right on the Devices tab). She presses that button and a dialog pops up where she can enter the device type manufacturer and model and presses another Search button. RMIR then searches through this cross reference list (either online or a local copy) and produces a list of possible matching upgrades available for download. The user can then select one or more of these to download and install into the remote. The user can then upload to the remote and try the downloaded upgrades. They keep the one that works the best, and remove the ones that don't.

Taking it to the next level, rmir could then update the list, adding the model to the list of models that have been found to work with the upgrade. It could also add the model number to the list of models that have been found not to work. I guess it's kind of Logitech Harmony like.

Along similar lines maybe RM/RMIR could
provide a way to upload upgrades directly from the UI, helping to standardize file names and descriptions, and maybe encouraging more users to share their upgrades.

This is obviously all pie-in-the-sky at this point.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, the only thing missing from your pie-in-the-sky, more scope-creep, plan is to have side-by-side learned signals to best match the upgrade in Rob's list Smile
Seriously, a list of data and hyperlinks from Rob's compilation to possible candidates would be a tremendous tool.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 0.8

Has a download/process all button. However, I haven't been able to get through a complete download without losing connection to the server. If the download is interrupted, then processing won't be complete, even for the files that were downloaded. Use the ProcessAll HDD Dirs button to write the AllUpgrades.CSV file in the same directory as the executable. If the download does finish without interruption, the processing should complete automatically.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried running the new version this morning and it did eventually crap out (after about 15 minutes or so) but it looks like it downloaded everything though. I didn't have time to do more than a quick spot check to see if all the files were there, but all the folders were present.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If RMIR is going to download and parse this file, I would want it as a CSV. That would, of course, be in addition to any XLS file(s) others need. Also, the URL would have to be constant over time, even as the contents change.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
The problem I saw resulted in an exception being thrown. I think the dotNET system tries to restore connection for 1 or 2 minutes before giving up. I got an exception while downloading Audio, but a second time the download got as far as DVD(Blu-Ray). Anyway, the behavior I saw generates an unmistakeable error message.

If your system downloaded all the files, then it probably wrote a AllUpgrades.CSV file also, depending on what "crap out" means. AllUpgrades is located in the folder where the executable is. Link.CSV files are still written to each subfolder. If you process HDD files individually, Upgrade.CSV is written to each subfolder.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check when I get home. In the mean time, I do believe I'm done with the first phase.

The following xls lists every upgrade in the file section, along with the file id (which you can use to create the file URL), the description as listed in the file section, the actual file name (to help you find it on your hard drive) and the protocol/device code info.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8487

I have converted a ton of zip files back into text files, and I've converted all the non-standard files (usually text files with lists of codes) into KM or RM upgrade files.

The next phase is for people to go through the list looking for anything that doesn't look right. For example, if an upgrade is using Manual Settings but there is now an official protocol it could be using instead, let's fix it. Let's try to document all the protocols used as "Manual Settings" so we can make them available to others that might have similar signals. If an upgrade is using the Device Combiner, where a combo protocol is now available, let's fix it. If an upgrade is using the NEC executor with a parm of "30" (NECx1) or "31" (NECx2), let's change it to use NECx1 or NECx2.

For the combo protocols that don't list the complete device codes in the fixed data, let's look at the actual file and see what device codes are really being combined.

If you can think of anything else we can do with a list like this, please post it here so we can consider it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did an extract from the actual forum database so I could add some extra info to the file. Now it includes the author and owner and the long description, just in case this info is useful.

I also ran some SQL updates, so the icons should all match the actual files now.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If you can think of anything else we can do with a list like this, please post it here so we can consider it.
It would seem that a reference to a standard UEI setup code might be helpful but I'm not sure how you would go about getting it without a lot of manual work.

Also, do you have a plan to keep it updated on the fly or will it need to be recompiled from time to time?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
If your system downloaded all the files, then it probably wrote a AllUpgrades.CSV file also, depending on what "crap out" means. AllUpgrades is located in the folder where the executable is. Link.CSV files are still written to each subfolder. If you process HDD files individually, Upgrade.CSV is written to each subfolder.

The AllUpgrades.CSV file was created:
{deleted}

Last edited by The Robman on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I'll experiment with RMIR downloading it and using it to populate a database to search for upgrades. I expect that once it's finalized it'll get moved out of the Diagnosis Area? Is it safe to assume the file id will stay the same? It would also be nice to have a numeric file version that could be used to determine when to download and update the database.

Upon first inspection, it would be nice to have the first row contain column identifiers. Looks to me like the columns are:
Section
Description
File ID
File type
Date
File name
PID
Protocol Name
Device
Sub-Device
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
I expect that once it's finalized it'll get moved out of the Diagnosis Area? Is it safe to assume the file id will stay the same?

I think you're looking at the wrong file. The AllUpgrades.CSV file that I just posted was just for Dave so he could see how well his program was working. The real file that I just completed isn't in the Diagnosis Area, it's here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8487

This file has column headings and it details every upgrade file in the file section.

Obviously, it will need to be updated as new files are added, but also as we update some of the old files.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that's not the right file, but at the moment it is the best file, since I can't use an XLS file. I need a CSV file.

In the short term, all i need is the file id, section, file description, file name, and file type.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,
When you say you can't use .XLS - does it mean
a. you don't have excel
b. you need .CSV because of the way you create RM code where much of the data is text-type based.
If you have excel, Rob's .XLS ffiles can be saved as .CSV. It's in the file type dropdown.
If you do not, then my suggestion would be for Rob, to make this file .CSV format since Excel will open it automatically anyway.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
Maybe that's not the right file, but at the moment it is the best file, since I can't use an XLS file. I need a CSV file.

What's stopping you from simply saving the spreadsheet as a CSV file? Surely it's worth it in order to get the complete file. The file that you're using hasn't been vetted at all and there's lots of info that won't be in it.

Just in case the problem is that you don't have Excel, I've created a CSV version for you:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8554

EDIT: Ha Liz, we were typing at the same time! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: