JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Time to upgrade ... please help me decide
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
I got one of the backlit Atlas 1056s to play with. Mine is from Time Warner Cable.

Does anybody really still use PIP? The multi-tuner DVR stopped that for me over 10 years ago. That's 5 buttons right there that could have been better used.

And why are there both Page +/- and Ch +/- buttons? I don't understand why anybody would design a UI where you would need both on the same screen(s).

The Day +/- buttons also don't make sense to me, but then again I don't have cable.

Do other cable companies label their buttons differently?

The Dish DVR guides use both a page +/- and a Day +/- function. Although on the standard dish remotes this is the fast forward/rewind for the Day function. Page+/- moves up and down in the guide and Day +/- skips to the next day instead of using the arrows to move through a day. I kind of like having both.

Agree with PIP I never use it anymore since I have a dual-tuner DVR
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I don't like the looks of the atlas either, but it's the best we've got at the moment. My favorite JP1.3 remote right now is actually THIS Insignia. It's backlit, learning, does device specific macros, has good button size and layout and is 8 device. The only drawbacks are it's hard to find and has no extender. I have a couple that I found on ebay.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although there is no picture, MCM lists this: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-/32-26460

The discription only says: UNIVERSAL REMOTE NS-RC01G-09 BLACK, INSIGNIA AND DYNEX TVS and nothing else. The price is good at $13.95.

I am in the group of people that think the Atlas is ugly enough to keep it out of my house and, more importantly, so is my wife.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a love-hate relationship with the Atlas. I don't have a backlit version but the key colors are very helpful to me. They use a combination of blue, gray, black red, green, yellow and clear. All in all when its been tamed by an extender its a nice remote. The keys are large and well spaced. They have a very nice layout, and I can tell which keys are which even without my glasses. I just picked up a RCA RCR05B on sale at Walgreens, and I think the keylayout on this remote is way too tight to use even though it has a lot more features than the Atlas.

The hate part comes from finding the remote to be extremely ugly. Removing the orange sticker helped considerably, but still they are one butt-ugly remote.

Because of the cost, I use Comcast 3dev remotes for most of my applications, and Atlases for a few 5 device setups. These remotes are well designed, but they are not a good "replacement" remote without an extender. When used out of the box, they are actually quite frustrating. These remotes are designed to be CABLE remotes, and you'll find that certain keys always default to cable mode even when channel punch through has been disabled.

I just had to switch to the Comcast set-top boxes and now understand the frustrating "cable-mindedness" of the remotes a lot better, but that just made me like them even less without an extender. I found I could get into TV and DVD menus and then not be able to press ok/select to get out of the selection. Very frustrating without the extender installed.

If you have more than 5 devices you should also consider the 10820.
I have a 10820 and 10820n and both of those are pretty nice remotes for a complicated setup. They are bigger than the 8820 and the buttons are spreadout more but the buttons are slightly smaller. The 10820 also have "a feel" that lets you determine which end is the buisness end of the remote, which the 8820 lacks. No back light though, and all the buttons are black making it hard for me to figure out which button is which.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
Although there is no picture, MCM lists this: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-/32-26460

The discription only says: UNIVERSAL REMOTE NS-RC01G-09 BLACK, INSIGNIA AND DYNEX TVS and nothing else. The price is good at $13.95.

I am in the group of people that think the Atlas is ugly enough to keep it out of my house and, more importantly, so is my wife.
Good find. I believe that's the non-backlit version. Still a nice remote though.
TheGMan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after my brief break it is nice to know that the JP1 community is still passionate and opinionated Smile

Thanks again for all the help!
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered one of the Insignia remotes from MCM. So far, I am quite pleased. See http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=87780#87780
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: