JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Q on slingbox answers forum, any help from here appreciated.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myjess

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Q on slingbox answers forum, any help from here appreciated. Reply with quote

Can anybody help me on this forum with this question I have asked on slingbox answers?

http://answers.slingbox.com/message/3827#3827

Thank you.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Q on slingbox answers forum, any help from here apprecia Reply with quote

Here are the posts from the other thread...

myjess wrote:
I have Sky HD and Sky + beside each other in my attic. I have had to purchase a Global SPC4 to route the remote signals to each because the Sky HD remote also controls Sky +, but not vice versa, Anyway, when I wanted to control Sky HD, SKY + would also be affected.

So the SPC4 was bought and the IR receiver in the HD box disabled.

I then changed the SKY HD remote control code to code 2 using the SELECT&BLUE buttons, then pressing 2, then pressing select.

Now Sky+ is being controlled by both the IR from slingbox and via RF2 via TV magic eyes from elsewhere in the house. (Sky+ is using the 0 channel on the SPC4).

SKY HD is being controlled by the TV magic eyes using the HD remote. (HD is using channel 2 on the SPC4).

The problem now is that I cannot get the Sky HD slingplayer remote to control HD, becuase it's code is not "2", the same as the physical sky remote anymore. I have a TV magic eye right next to the slingbox IR transmitters so a signal is definately going to the HD RF2 from these IR transmitters.

How can I change the SkyHD remote control to be code "2".

Here is the link that shows how the SPC4 works.
http://www.globalinvacom.com/products/spc4.php

Thanks.

alanrichey wrote:
I can almost certainly help here, but you are going to have to educate me a lot more on exactly how the Sky Remote works.

I had never heard of the Select-Blue-2 option so the first thing I need to know is how you use this.

Do you press all 3 together ?

Is the order important ?

Should I see any indication on the flashing LED ?

When I change to Channel 2 will it stop operating my current Sky+ box ?

Al

myjess wrote:
alanrichey wrote:
I can almost certainly help here, but you are going to have to educate me a lot more on exactly how the Sky Remote works.

I had never heard of the Select-Blue-2 option so the first thing I need to know is how you use this.

Do you press all 3 together ?

No, you press select and blue together until the led flashes twice, then press 0,1,2 or 3, then press select.

alanrichey wrote:
Is the order important ?
As above
alanrichey wrote:
Should I see any indication on the flashing LED ?
As above
alanrichey wrote:
When I change to Channel 2 will it stop operating my current Sky+ box ?

Al
I can program all buttons individually but the remote that is displayed is the generic remote, I would like, if possible for the codes to be programmed against a sky HD remote picture.

I am not though at this stage goping to pay the £20 for a support ticket!

Thanks.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al, the SELECT&BLUE thing that myjess described programs both the remote and the STB to respond to the unit code that is entered, which is a common feature for STBs. In this case, the STBs obviously still respond to the generic code in addition to the entered unit code. This process is described here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10877

I don't recall if anyone has documented what actually changes in the IR signals when the unit code is set though. I did a search (which is how I found the thread I just linked to) but I didn't find the unit codes.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is interesting. I am still trying to figure out exactly how all this is working. I have got used to the Direct/Dish system where you switch BOTH the STB and the Remote to specific channels, but in this case you only program the remote and not the STB. So I have to assume that when you have finished 'programming' the remote, then the first time you send a command the Sky box senses the change and automatically switches to that channel. If so, that's very clever Smile

My slight confusion is that you do all this programming in TV mode, which for those of you unfamiliar with the SKY remote, is similar to the TIVO system in that you can also program the Sky remote to operate your TV. So all this programming work is done in the TV mode rather then the Sky mode.

Now I am bit stuck as I only have a single Sky box so I can't test the system fully. But I do find an interesting effect. If I do the recommended TV-SELECT/BLUE-2-SKY button presses then the Remote stays in TV mode and any command I send operates my TV (confirmed by IRScope). If I then press the SKY button again the remote switches to Sky mode and I can operate the Sky box again. Same applies regardless of the 0,1,2 or 3 code. My Sky box appears happy to operate on any of the channels (which would make sense if my remote is effectively re-programming the STB box when I press the Sky button a second time).

However, I suspect all this is a bit academic as the decodes I see using IRScope are identical in all 4 channels (Same frequency, IR Protocol RC-6-20, Device 0.12) so if there is a difference in the signal it must be at a deeper level than we are used to. If anyone wants a selection of ICT files please let me know.

Al
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have Sky (being in the US) so I'm only guessing here, but it doesn't make sense that the reprogramming process wouldn't also re-program the STB at the same time. If the STB was willing to change to a different unit code every time that it detected an IR signal with a different unit code, that would defeat the whole point.

I suspect that you have to re-program the remote while you're in front of the STB so that it changes too. Then when you're done, each STB is programmed to respond to a unique unit code and each remote is programmed to send a unique unit code.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, doesn't make sense to me either. But interestingly, in the instructions it SPECIFICALLY says "Turn the remote away from the TV", and I would suggest that in 99% of houses the Sky Box is positioned underneath the TV.

And Googling on the net doesn't give much of a clue either. In fact there is another thread at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10877 where 'Capn Trips' and 'josh1e' discuss this subject and the specific question " Do you know what pressing "select-blue" "X" REALLY does? Does it send an IR signal to the SPC4 telling it to pass signals on to a specific "input" "X" only?" was asked.

No satisfactory answer was given so it doesn't help us much. We still don;t really know if this is a Sky box/Remote thing or a system designed for AV splitters like this box.

I still find this fascinating so if I can find out from somewhere what the answer to the question really is I will post it here.
myjess

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could maybe ask Global devices who make the spc4 or there is a tv link that specifically does the same thing, links on the avforums site.

I programmed all the codes anyway in http://betaremotes.slingbox.com for the skyHD remote as code 2, and they do change the channel on the Sky HD box, of course I need to have a tv magic eye near the ir transmitters out of the slingbox so the signal can go down the co-ax to the spc4 and through that to the SKY HD RF2 socket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: