JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

AviLynx AV Distribution server - can't get remote to work.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hebs

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: AviLynx AV Distribution server - can't get remote to work. Reply with quote

Hello All!

Thanks for a very helpful forum - I am trying to create a custom remote for an AviLynx AV Server that I have attached to my Slingbox. I have uploaded all of my work so far - ICT, RM & BIN files:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8429

I would really appreciate it if somebody with more brains than me could take a look and help me figure out why it is not working.

I have a Slingbox solo UK version 4 (RV) I think...

Thanks
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hebs, I don't have the xmp stuff setup in my protocols.ini on this computer, so I couldn't open your rdmu file. But the error message I got said protocol xmp(jp1) not found. I think that might be the problem. You need the special slingbox xmp protocol, its (xmp-1 sling) or something like that. The xmp(jp1) doesn't work with the sling.

Hope that helps.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

OK, a couple of ground rules Smile

1. Please don't use the words 'doesn't work'. It's an utterly useless phrase as there are about 150 things that could cover. We need to know EXACTLY what is not working as you expected. (Did it install, did the power button work, did any buttons work......)

2. You don't need to create all 4 BIN files. Apart from a very occasional JU chip all Slingobxes now use only RV and PL.

I can't comment on the numbers you are using as AviLynx is not a recognised manufacturer on the Logitech database so I cannot load it onto my Harmony but I agree with Vicky that if it is the Dreambox/XMP protocol you are using the wrong setting. I have just built the 2 BIN files using XMP(Slingbox) and uploaded them at

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8430

Any good ?
hebs

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responce guys. Apologies for the vague description of symptoms.

The BIN file installed (I get the msg "No Update Found..." but aparently this is normal?) - unfortunately the power button can't be used as the test as the server itself cannot be turned off. The power button is used in combination with the source select buttons i.e: source_1 then power to turn off source 1 etc..

None of the buttons give any response.

I can confirm that an IR signal is emmiting from the slingbox blasters but not anything that the AviLynx server can understand.

I believe that the manufacturer for the AviLynx server is Global.

Alan - Thanks for re-building the BIN files but they produce the same symptoms as above (but I clearly used the incorrect protocol before).
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hebs wrote:

None of the buttons give any response.

I can confirm that an IR signal is emmiting from the slingbox blasters but not anything that the AviLynx server can understand.

Hebs I think you have a widget, If you can capture one or two signals from the blasters, then we can see if the ir timing is the same as your signals from the original remote.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
hebs

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have one of Tommy Tylers (although I used one of my IR over IP devices to confirm IR emission) - I will look at the waveform when I get back on Friday.

I have just looked on the Logitec Harmony site and my device is listed as Audio/Video Switch > AViLYnX > 8x12 Server, not sure if that helps?
jimdunn

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hebs wrote:
I have just looked on the Logitec Harmony site and my device is listed as Audio/Video Switch > AViLYnX > 8x12 Server, not sure if that helps?

That Harmony download looks like it may not really be for your device - it seems like it really is for an AV switcher.

It contains only 5 commands:
Input1, Input2, Input3, Input4, PowerToggle

I'll put the decodes for those commands here in a few minutes, just for completeness, when I've learned them ...

edited for typo - and to make sense... 

Last edited by jimdunn on Mon May 17, 2010 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimdunn

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, for the record:

Actually, the codes (OBC) do seem to match what you had in the files you originally uploaded, for the 5 codes which are present - but that's all there is in the Harmony download.

I did, however, notice you don't seem to have subdevice number(s) in your rmdu file.

I'm not too familiar with XMP, but the help in RM says:
Code:
Device and Subdevice match the values given by DecodeIR.

and as you can see, DecodeIR gives subdevice numbers for the Harmony learns - so could this be the problem...?

If so, I'm not sure how you'd enter them, since they vary...Confused

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I don't have the xmp stuff setup in my protocols.ini on this computer, so I couldn't open your rdmu file.

I don't have it on my PC at home either and I can't re-create it there because I can't run WinZip on my 64-bit machine, so I have loaded a copy of RM 1.98 Beta 7 which has the XMP protocol class added here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8438

Hebs,
I have taken a look at your ICT files and I have created a new RM file for you that uses the Slingbox version of the XMP protocol and has a sub-device entered of 1. The file is here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8439

Please note, as Jim pointed out, the source buttons use a variable sub-device so it was not possible to include these in the upgrade (source1 is included as it uses sub-device 1).

For anyone else wanting to look at this, to save you having to load 50+ ICT files into IRScope in order to look at the signals, I have created a master file that contains all of them here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8440
hebs

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim - you are correct, my device is an AV switcher. I have selected VCR in RemoteMaster as I could not see a better fit in the dropdown.

I have had the first response from my slingbox! I have set the subdevice code to 2 and now all of the input buttons work, ie: I can switch between sources.

Unfortunately none of the other buttons get any response so I cannot control any of the source devices yet. The AviLynx is programmed to output IR signals based upon the source device selected ie: Source 1 is SKYHD & source 2 is a DVD player source 3 is a media centre etc.... Pressing play on the remote will output a default IR signal for that button from the remote, and the AviLynx will translate that signal into an IR signal for the source device being watched. If source 1 is selected then SKYHD play will be sent to the SKYHD box only etc...

As you suggest Jim, It would appear that I need to select a different subdevice for different codes. I am really not sure how to do that.

http://www.avilinx.co.uk/server-matrix.htm
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hebs,
Did you have any luck with the RM file that I created using sub-device 1? The fact that all of the source commands worked when you used sub-device 2 makes me wonder whether they would work if you were to use sub-device 1, so I have re-added them to my RM file (on the FP buttons).
hebs

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Rob - missed your last post (took forever writing mine!) I have tried your RM file and I can now successfully switch sources and control each of them!

I don't get a response from 2 buttons (tv_guide & menu) from any source.
For some reason the Red, Green, Yellow & Blue buttons are disabled (greyed out).

I really appreciate the help.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try assigning MENU to the SETUP button (in RM) that's right below the actual menu button.

To determine if the problem with the buttons that don't work is either (a) a problem with the code or (b) a problem with the Slingbox, try assigning these functions to buttons that you know work (like the 0-9 numeric buttons perhaps) and then test them.

If they work that way, then the trick will be finding Slingbox buttons that work for them. I notice that you have the coloured buttons assigned to INPUT03-06, what made you pick those buttons for them?
hebs

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No success with the MENU & TV_GUIDE functions even when assigned to other buttons - no response at all. I have had a look at the ict /capture files again and tv_guide key=16449 not=65 as listed in RM - I am unable to insert the values captured from IRScope into the RM OBD field because it reverts to 65.

I coud have sworn that I was able to control the other sources but it would appear that I was wrong. Source_1 works correctly (less the 2 buttons mentioned above) and the source select buttons work. But, when on source_2 and I press any buttons - it reverts back to source_1 and then performs the button function.

The remote does in fact generate a different subdevice value for each selected source ie: 39.1 for source_1 39.2 for source_2 etc.. not how I first thought. The OBC value is the same across the sources for each button.

Is there anyway to reproduce these different subdevice values through slingbox?

Not sure about the colored functions - I thought that I had assigned them to the colored buttons?
jimdunn

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The web page you linked says:
Quote:
The Server Matrix switches the selected A/V source output to the Viewing Station, it also routes the controlling IR commands to the specific A/V source (therefore enabling multiple like equipment to be viewed & controlled independently).

You said:
Quote:
The remote does in fact generate a different subdevice value for each selected source ie: 39.1 for source_1 39.2 for source_2 etc.. not how I first thought. The OBC value is the same across the sources for each button.
which I take to mean, for example, that <play> sends the same OBC, but a different subdevice, for each of the 4 "modes" you can be in.

It looks very much from that, and your comments above, like the way it does this is to respond to the same OBC set for each connected device, but with a different subdevice for each connected device.
Quote:
The Server Matrix is pre-programmed with a considerable database of IR codes, enabling conversion of the incoming AViLYnX IR commands into correct IR commands for each source connected. Should the IR codes for a particular source device not be in the database, the Server Matrix has a learning mode. There are also memory locations available for programming up to 8 extra source IR remote controls into the Server Matrix.
Then it "looks up", and sends the relevant pre-programmed/learned native IR command to the right equipment based on the OBC and subdevice it received.

So in fact, it is behaving as though it was 4 different remote controls - and changing between them based on which Input you select.

This means that the remote "remembers" which device is active, and uses that subdevice until you next press an Input key.

If that's all correct, it seems like you will need to set up 4 remote controls on the Slingbox to emulate this behaviour, one for each subdevice, each with the full set of OBCs (or at least the ones you will use for the connected equipment). I think each one will just need one Input Select button to "select itself". (I think it will need this to do the AV switching - unless it does that automatically from the subdevice code it receives)

That is of course, if you can set up 4 different remotes on the Slingbox like this - not being a Slingbox expert I don't know if there are limits to how many remotes or custom remotes you can have.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: