JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NEC PXT-42XD1 Plasma TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
If the "dump" or the "image" can be saved in any way, I wouldn't mind having a look at it... just to see if it can be reverse-eng'ed.

You can "trick" the server into letting you download it as a file - they have a sort of semi manual web based interface at members.harmonyremote.com

I put one here for you (it's not the version with your TV in - it has 8 other devices):
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8319

It looks to my uneducated eyes like an xml header section, followed by a "blob" of binary data in the <information> field.

Have fun with it Smile
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

Jim, I hated the remote-to-remote learning process too. I could never ever remember what I put where and half of my learns were always bad.
I found remote-to-remote learning to be an ordeal.

The new software changes have really made the widget indispensable. Graham has done an excellent job of making the Widget my best friend.

It's the "remember what I put where" that's a little annoying for me.

I usually type all the OEM remote key names into column 1 in a new excel sheet - then note the name of the key on the learning remote I'm going to learn to in a 2nd column, do the learns, then copy and paste the learned EFCs back to a 3rd column in the excel sheet from the learned summary you can generate in IR. (this works if you do them in order...)

Then rinse and repeat that stage if I couldn't fit all the learned signals in remote memory in one "go".

Then hide column 2 and copy/paste the functions/EFCs from my excel sheet to KM or RM.

I just find it a bit long winded and error prone if you're not very careful.

I don't have a problem with the actual physical learning process - I can read sideways and upside down quite well because I used to be a printer - I don't get many bad learns as long as I remember to put fully charged batteries in both remotes - but with the widget I could cut out most of the copy/paste and manipulation steps above.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimdunn wrote:

I put one here for you (it's not the version with your TV in - it has 8 other devices)
Have fun with it :)

Thanks, but not much fun if I don't know what those devices are and what codes are loaded into them. Is it as easy to create such file from the Harmony data for my Plasma TV?

Anyway, just renaming the file into .xml and opening it in the browser pretty much confirms your guess - and that binary "chunk" that "knocks out" the browser is what's of our interest, so I'd like to have an actual device data in the known (readable) format (like today's TXT upgrade?), to try matching the binary signatures or even individual bytes inside the chunk with (the portions of) it.
All this is just a leisure exercise - so don't bust your guts out over this.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This NEC TV uses NEC1 IR protocol, device 134.5. To date the only brands (for which we had data) using that device.subdevice pair are Insignia and Dynex. The NEC TV uses the same numeral and arrow key functions codes, and the volume/channel keys are swapped.

But it does appear that NEC has outsourced the IR section of the TV.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
Thanks, but not much fun if I don't know what those devices are and what codes are loaded into them. Is it as easy to create such file from the Harmony data for my Plasma TV?.

As easy as this:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8320

That file should have the only difference from the previous upload that I added your NEC PXT-42XD1 Plasma TV as a device. (about 7.7 kb)

Diff away Very Happy

edited for a typo

Last edited by jimdunn on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
This NEC TV uses NEC1 IR protocol, device 134.5. To date the only brands (for which we had data) using that device.subdevice pair are Insignia and Dynex. The NEC TV uses the same numeral and arrow key functions codes, and the volume/channel keys are swapped.

But it does appear that NEC has outsourced the IR section of the TV.

NEC "manufactured" devices, (rather than just those using the ubiquitous NEC(x) protocol(s)), are often "bastards" in my (admittedly very limited) experience.

For instance, I have an LG DVD recorder - but just by changing a couple of bytes in the setup data in the Service menu you can make it boot up with either a LG, NEC, Tevion logo.

You can also "turn it into" a "Hitachi" - but I can't find a compatible remote control setup if you do that...

refer to this: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8682
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

That thread is pretty interesting. It does seem likely to me that the various incarnations would use the same IR protocol-- might be difficult to mix say RC5 and NEC1.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Jim,

That thread is pretty interesting. It does seem likely to me that the various incarnations would use the same IR protocol-- might be difficult to mix say RC5 and NEC1.

I spent a lot of time on it "at the time"

I reached no useful conclusion - so I, sadly, gave up...

Those devices aren't my main devices any more - so it's "moot" now - still, I'd like to have solved it...
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimdunn wrote:
Diff away Very Happy

Had a quick look. Even the xml header is different (I can tell that it's also changing with each connection session, depending on the server Number, time etc. )
Not much luck, alas. Tried to search for characteristic byte sequences (for example, the codes for numerical buttons 2,3,4) - not found any.

The only couple of things I found that's worth mentioning is the BIN data size field just before the beginning of the information section and the fact that the information section starts with the text string AHCM and ends with the "mirror" string MCHA.
Not very promising... Oh, well. Was worth having a look anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: