JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Eyjafjallajokull

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Hall of Shame (and other funny stuff)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Eyjafjallajokull Reply with quote

1. Device: Volcano
2. Type of device: Actively erupting
3. Year: 2010
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: URC8820
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? Yes
6. Still have original remote? No
7. Checked the file section? Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes
9. Partially working setup code? No
10. Learning remote question? N/A
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking to control this volcano? And with a remote? You would have a lot of fans if you are able to pull this off!

Have you tried learning the signals from the volcano, as I'm sure it must be emitting infra red rays in amongst all the other stuff it's emitting.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob's idea is worth considering.

I'm pretty sure your URC8820 is a learning remote - so what he said might be helpful.

The problem might be that you'd be trying to learn from the device rather than the remote.
Also, getting close enough to get good learns or try a code search could be a problem.

You indicate that you don't still have the OEM remote.

Have you checked down the back of the sofa ?

Maybe you could borrow one - or sneak into a local branch of Iceland and learn the signals from a display model.

We don't have any active volcanos in Australia - but maybe one of our other users has an upgrade or a remote from a previous eruption elsewhere that could get you started.
It's often the case that all of these devices use similar codes even if the exact name or model is different.

Just one note of caution - if you do find a partially working code and decide to do a blind search for discrete EFC codes - be aware that sometimes you could accidentally stumble across an undocumented code that puts the device into an "unstable" mode - depending on the particular device this could have unpredictable results - your warranty could be invalidated if you decide to do this...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he'd want to put this particular device into an unstable mode, could be too risky.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I don't think he'd want to put this particular device into an unstable mode, could be too risky.

Well, yes, that was my concern.

There is, also, this, which ought to be out by now, according to the release date.

If anyone should have the relevant codes, then they should Surprised
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting link, apparently it's due out in April now, which means sometime in the next 11 days, or about when the real volcano stops erupting.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously don't understand why you guys keep wasting your time with this stuff when Logitec offers a far superior product and does the research FOR YOU!

Searching for codes yourself is a huge waste of your time(not to mention voiding your warranty) - which is surely worth the difference in cost between a JP1 remote + cable and a Harmony!

With Logitec, if the code doesn't exist, you just CALL THEM. They have all the inside information, and will quickly provide you a code without having to go beg on some forum.

xnappo
jimdunn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harmony ?

Wasn't she one of the Angels in Captain Scarlet ?

Other than that I don't know what you mean

Maybe my wife knows about it...

/me wanders off, muttering...
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimdunn wrote:
The problem might be that you'd be trying to learn from the device rather than the remote. Also, getting close enough to get good learns or try a code search could be a problem.

Indeed, that may be my error.

jimdunn wrote:
You indicate that you don't still have the OEM remote. Have you checked down the back of the sofa? Maybe you could borrow one - or sneak into a local branch of Iceland and learn the signals from a display model.

I checked in Iceland; they had some nice chocolate fudge milkshake and some £1 meals-for-one but no remotes. Besides, after the way their banks handled investors' money I'm not sure I'd trust them.

jimdunn wrote:
Just one note of caution - if you do find a partially working code and decide to do a blind search for discrete EFC codes - be aware that sometimes you could accidentally stumble across an undocumented code that puts the device into an "unstable" mode - depending on the particular device this could have unpredictable results - your warranty could be invalidated if you decide to do this...

It's already pretty unstable so I think I'd settle for just the discrete off function.

We were in France last week and rather smugly escaped with our pre-booked Eurostar train tickets. Many others not so lucky and waiting for British Navy to pick them up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Hall of Shame (and other funny stuff) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: