JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adding 10 devices to an Atlas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimdunn wrote:
Quote:
Right now, I'm trying to think if its worth it to include the whole dynamic keymoves or if its an idea that ought to be scrapped.

I am afraid that the whole dynamic keymoves will make my extenders into odd balls that will be difficult to support.

If the problems of getting the Atlases to see extra devices can't be solved in the "normal" way - because of the problems you and Unclemiltie described with the data where you would need to change it crashing the remote then your way might be the only way - in which case it's certainly worth it from my point of view.

That's what I needed to hear. I just am having trouble getting "inside the head" of a USER. I don't think all that many people multiplex. Heck not that many people use extenders period! Of those people only a few need to multiplex.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Heck not that many people use extenders period!

You might be surprised how many do - maybe we should run a poll to find out Wink

vickyg2003 wrote:
I just am having trouble getting "inside the head" of a USER. I don't think all that many people multiplex.

From this User's point of view - multiplexing is my method of last resort - I'll do it if there's no other way to get all my devices set up.

In my 8910 extended setup I've deleted the Multiplex Upgrade and Protocol to reclaim the memory - I don't need it there because I use the 8 device keys and the HT key as 9 device selection buttons - that's enough at the moment for the 9 main "activities" I want.
(I have a few other upgrades - for stuff like an AV switcher etc...) but I only use a couple of keys from each, so I can pop those onto other unused keys or use them as keymoves in macros)

That's why I've been pursuing the use of your Advanced Multiplexer in such a way that it wouldn't really be multiplexing at all from a users standpoint.

For me, the ultimate in usability is to set all devices up in IR from upgrades with keymoves, then assign definite device buttons on the remote -
so if I've got 8 devices I like 8 device keys. (even if I have to pick extra keys (like A,B,C maybe) to use as device keys when the remote doesn't have enough )

Then I can put LKPs on these device keys to do "activity" type device selection
(where HT divisions are set as they should be to use that device - like Vol=AUD, Transport = DVD, etc) for a short press
- and just control the basic device with a long press.

But that's just how I see it -
(although it is basically copied from several other people here who've been kind enough to describe their methods and share their setups)
- others may not agree - so I'm starting to get a little concerned not to push my viewpoint as the only, or best one - it may well not be.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But that's just how I see it -
(although it is basically copied from several other people here who've been kind enough to describe their methods and share their setups)
- others may not agree - so I'm starting to get a little concerned not to push my viewpoint as the only, or best one - it may well not be.

Well yeah, I'm not sure mine is the best or the only one either. That's the whole point of the discussion.

This also brings up the whole "best macros" thing I'm gathering up in the other post. There are 1000 ways to get the same end result out of a remote. I'm a KISS person, all the way. I've opened some people's IR's that make me want to cry they are so complicated to do things that I could do in a few keymoves and macros. Other peoples are so elegant that I sit there with my mouth wide open and just say why didn't I think of that.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: