JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ReplayTV remote with Broksonic TV/VCR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xebikr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: ReplayTV remote with Broksonic TV/VCR Reply with quote

I sure am glad there are no dumb questions on this forum!

I am exploring whether or not to buy a JP1 cable to reprogram my ReplayTV 5504 remote. Having a tight budget (and no hardware building skills) I just want to know if I have a chance of success in what I want to do before I buy it.

The problem I am having is this. My ReplayTV is currently connected to a Broksonic TV/VCR combo. I can't seem to get the remote to control the power and volumn on the TV. That is really all I need it to do. I have tried all the codes for Broksonic for all types of devices, and also all the Emerson codes (because I heard their remotes were interchangeable) with no luck.

So my question is two fold. Is there anyway to capture the IR code that the TV/VCR remote uses (could a Palm PDA do this?) And can I then program my replay remote to use those codes?
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP1 can do what you want. (see my next note)

You will need a JP1 cable.

JP1 cables can be bought for $14 which includes shipping and handling, from www.hovisdirect.com

You could make the cable from parts for about $5, but the diode and the 6 pin female connector I do not think are sold at radio shack (they are sold at www.mouser.com) and might be hard to find locally.

I have the part numbers for the mouser parts somewhere, but if you order from them you are adding $3-$5 more in shipping, so already it is probably more worthwhile to just order the prebuilt (pretested) JP1 cable.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, the best way to learn about the IR signals you are interested in, is to buy a OFA8810w remote from Wal-Mart, and then, since money is tight, after you are complete done, return the 8810w to Wal-Mart.

Your replay remote does not have learning (I think) which is why you need the 8810w. Did I mention it costs less than $20 at Wal-Mart?

Here is the game plan:
1. learn all the signals from your existing remotes that you are interested in. it does not matter what buttons on the 8810w you learn them to. I learn them to the digit keys (0-9).
2. connect the 8810w to the JP1 cable and press "Download From Remote"
3. write down what you see under the "learned signals" tab. I keep notepad open, and I write down what OEM remote buttons I learned to which digit, so I can keep all the information straight.
4. now you take this information and use it to fill in the blanks in KM.xls (a JP1 spreadsheet tool) or RM.java (another free JP1 spreadsheet tool) to create something we call a "device upgrade."
5. now you copy this device upgrade into IR.exe (the same free tool you used to evaluate the learned signals) and press the "Upload To Remote" button and you are done. (Don't forget to delete your old learned codes under the "learned signals" tab, before you upload.)
xebikr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help! I've already ordered the cable from www.hovisdirect.com. I'll post again after I get it with my results or if I have any further problems.
xebikr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Help! Reply with quote

Ok. I've got everything together. I successfully learned the 4 buttons I need to the 8810w. I uploaded the 8810w to the computer, and I see buttons 0-3 listed under learned signals. I just can't seem to figure out what numbers I put where in KM.xls.

In km.xls I selected replay 5000 as the remote, and the device type as PVR. Where do I go next?
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the learned tabs page, when you click on a learned signal, you'll see a bunch of information in top box on the right.

The information you need is the Protocol, Device, Sub-Device, OBC, Hex Cmd, EFC, and sometimes the Misc.

Now go to the Setup page in KM and make the protocol device and sub-device match.
Now go to the Functions page and create one function for each of the learned signals, using the OBC, Hex Cmd, or EFC.
Now go to the Buttons page and assign the functions you just created to the buttons you want.

You're almost there!
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you download the memory from the URC-8810w and you see the learned signals listed, click on them, this will show you what protocol, device code and OBC each of them uses. This is the info we would need to help you build an upgrade.

If your goal here is to build a small upgrade so that your R5k remote works your Broksonic TV, in KM you would indeed select "Replay 5000" as your remote, but you would select "TV" as the device type.
xebikr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Here is what appears in the learned tab:
Code:

# Prot.   Device   Sub-Dev   OBC   Hex Cmd   EFC
1 NEC2    134      2         73    6D        041  (TV Power)
1 NEC2    134      2         12    CF        052  (Vol Up)
1 NEC2    134      2         13    4F        056  (Vol Dwn)
1 NEC2    134      2         64    FD        165  (Mute)

On km.xls, I've got:
Remote: Replay 5000
Device type: TV
Setup Code: 0000
Button Codes: EFC

Protocol Name: NEC2
Main Device:
Sub Device: 2
Parm:

I've entered the EFC for vol up, vol dwn, and mute on the functions page. It automatically put in OBC and Hex. Do I put the tv power just in the "power" field? There are 2 power buttons on the replay remote (one for TV and one for ReplayTV) and I want to make sure I program the right one. The buttons page populated itself. What's next?

Also, I would love to create a "3-minute" skip button while I am doing this. Is that at all easy to do, or will it just muddy the waters here?
Thanks! You guys are awesome!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot to enter the main device code (ie, 134) in KM. Anyway, those codes you just listed exactly match TV/0784 which is in the R5k remote, so you don't even need an upgrade. In fact, it's the only remote that I know of that DOES have that code.

I was about to ask why you need a 3 minute skip as the 5040 has Commerical Advance, but then I noticed that you actually have the 5504 which doesn't have CA.

I would recommend loading the Replay 5000 KM file, which is in the PVR folder, into KM and then program the 3 minute skip function to the CA button (which is really the INPUT button on your remote). Make sure that you have "Replay (Advanced) " selected as the protocol.
xebikr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Anyway, those codes you just listed exactly match TV/0784 which is in the R5k remote, so you don't even need an upgrade.

Well that figures. Confused Very Happy

I'd tried all the codes in the owners manual, and I had even got as far as 0250 entering them in incrementally before giving up.

Well, thanks for all your help. It's working great now and my wife is ecstatic. And now I have a new universal remote to play around with. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: