JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Discrete power on for Onkyo TX-SR501 AV receiver

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeajea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Discrete power on for Onkyo TX-SR501 AV receiver Reply with quote

In the Onkyo super master file I found
Code:

OBC   DEV.SUB
Power off 071   210.108   NEC1
Power tog 203   210.108   NEC1
Power on  004   210.109   NEC1

However both 004 and 203 cause a power toggle. Sad Power off code 071 works correctly. The zipped rmdu file for the upgrade (tuner/1135) is here

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8217
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Onkyo receiver (In fact I've had SEVERAL) and those codes work as advertised, so I don't know what's going on with YOUR receiver.

The RMDU shows everything's fine, but it alone won't tell us anything, but maybe your IR file will.

(and please don't zip small files for uploading to the diagnosis area. That's only useful if you are uploading several files together for someone to look at.)

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post at Remote Central says that the discrete power codes for the 501 are the same as for the 601.
There is an upgrade file for a 601 here, and it shows the same OBCs as you posted above. (It's a Device Combiner upgrade, whcih means it is upside down and backwards, and so a little hard to decipher, but that is what it says.)

So Capn Trips is right in asking you to post your IR file--seems like there must be something wrong in it.
jeajea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: tx-sr501 - Atlas OCAP IR file Reply with quote

Link to the IR file
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8221

Upgrade 1135 on AUD key of Atlas OCAP (1056)
OBC 4 on power
OBC 71 on A (yellow)
OBC 203 on B (blue)

I started with the Onkyo_TX-SR501.txt KM file from the upgrade files section of this site. The original KM file uses OBC 4 for Power (toggle) not OBC 203.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything wrong in that IR file. Here's a post that says the 501 doesn't have a Power On discrete. RC has a list of Onkyo discretes which includes the note that older models don't have discrete Power, but it isn't obvious if that applies to this situation or not.

So, it's a little awkward, but make discrete on with a macro that does discrete off, followed by power toggle.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but perhaps Onkyo responds like some receivers, that when an input select IR signal is received, it turns itself on? I've never tried it with my Onkyo, since I haven't had to, but that's worth a try, I suppose.

By this I mean if you send the "DVD" or "AUX 1" input signal, your receiver might turn on(?)

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
jeajea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put batteries in the original remote and tried every button. The only key that would turn the AVR on was the power on/off toggle. I am not sure using power off - power toggle when the AVR is already on won’t be harmful.

The impact of not having discrete power on is that I have to use one macro to select a source when the receiver is off and a different macro when it is on for each source.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as a last resort you could always shift to using the extender which provides you with a ToadTog special protocol, allowing state tracking fro devices that do not have discretes.

I say "last resort" VERY tongue-in-cheek, since imho there are TREMENDOUS benefits to using the extender BEYOND ToadTog capability. Read the Extender FAQ and see if you want to give it a try.

Amazon Firestick
jeajea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the Atlas only has five device keys I will have to use the extender to get it to control the seven devices that I have. I ordered two additional Atlas remotes so I could start experimenting with the extender and still have a functional non extended remote. My additional remotes arrived yesterday so when I have the time I will be installing the extender on one of them and trying to get device multiplexing to work.

My concern with Toadtog is a device and remote can get out of sync.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeajea wrote:

My concern with Toadtog is a device and remote can get out of sync.
True, but then you just have a "reset" function somewhere in your setup to get a device back in sync. For example, I have my Atlas set up as follows:

Short press of Device Button merely selects the device, just like in the unextended remote;
Long press of Device Button turns on all required equipment and selects appropriate inputs, and assigns the various keygroups on the remote (Vol to the Amp, PIP to the TV, Channels and transport keys to the PVR, etc.);
Short press of Power simply sends a toggle power command to the currently active device (this is my "re-sync" button). I have it set to an EXTREMELY short press, so that nobody inadvertently does this. You have to make a conscious effort to press it for THAT short a duration.
Long Press of Power turns everything off. This would include one's "normal"-duration press of this button.

Amazon Firestick
jeajea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: I now have an extended Atlas with dev multiplex and ToadTog Reply with quote

I loaded my non-extended IR file with all my upgrades and macros onto one of the new remotes (allowing me to continue to use my non extended remote)
I removed the pause key moves (special protocols) and the non-extended pause protocol.
I added the extended RDF file to my RDF directory.
I added the 3A33ext-notes.hex to my IR directory.
I used IR to merge the extender with my existing file.
I saved the new extended IR file.
I created a new pause key move for my TV that needs a pause after power on using phantom1.
The merge / conversion process had changed phantom1 in macros to discrete on so I changed to the three macros back to phantom1.
I assigned deactivate to TV D (green).
I saved this version and uploaded it to the remote.
I activated the extender and pushed one of the macro keys that uses pause.
The remote went into an infinite loop and would not accept either TV D or long key press to deactivate the extender. Sad
I removed and reinstalled the batteries and was able to deactivate the extender. Smile
I first tried removing the pause but it still locked up.
I went back to the read me file and discovered that my POWER key macro CAB POWER used to make the power button work normally in cable mode caused the extended remote to go into an infinite loop.
I deleted my power macro that isn’t needed with the extended remote and the lockup was eliminated.
I found my AV receiver now needs a delay after power on because the macros run faster so I created a pause for it on AUD phantom1 and added to the macros that required it.
After some wrong guesses I was able to make device-multiplexing work – I used DAY+ to switch to the new code and DAY- to restore the old code on DVD and VCR so now I can control seven devices
I created discrete ON for AUD using XSHIFT-POWER for off to ON
The extender sends the POWER command if XSHIFT-POWER is not defined and POWER is defined.

I created discrete OFF for AUD using the A (yellow) for ON to off because I have assigned the receivers discrete off code to A
I replaced the AUD power in one of my macros with discrete on
FYI:I use SHIFT-POWER for my master power off macro
I replaced AUD A in my master power off macro with discrete off
The changed macros worked as expected but it was obvious that using the AUD power key would leave the remote out of SYNC
After thinking about the problem for a while I created a toggle using AUD phantom2 and a device specific macro (DSM) on AUD POWER consisting of AUD and phantom2
After testing this I cloned the toadtogs and DSMs for TV,DVD and CBL using the discrete power codes for the TV and XSHIFT-POWER for the DVD and CBL and replaced POWER with discrete on my other macros that turn devices on
I added TV discrete off and DVD discrete off to my master off macro
After testing the modified macros I observed that by adding the pauses to TV and AUD discrete on force on the delays would only occur when the device actually needed the pause.

Finally I created a DSM SHIFT-REC consisting of “device” XSHIFT-POWER for TV, DVD, CBL and AUD to allow changing the device state if it is out of sync with the remote. I chose SHIFT-REC because REC is RED like the power key.

I didn’t do anything with VCR because VCR is my PC remote and the power key actually starts Beyond TV and has nothing to do with PC power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: