JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hibernation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Hibernation Reply with quote

I have a hibernation issue. Its not really an issue except that I am sharing a laptop with a non-techie. If I forget to unplug my JP1 gear (the widget and a Serial JP1.x cable with a USB adapter and remote), before the laptop hibernates the laptop will not restart. I can leave it sit on the screen for hours, but it never starts up windows. As long as I unplug my equipment before hibernation everything works fine, so as I said its not really an "issue" but it does cause a little marital trouble.

Has anyone else had a hibernation issue with our JP1 gadgets?

Any known solutions?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, I used hibernation only once in my life. It's a painfully slow process, therefore can't comment for sure.
But I do use Standby, a different beast altogether, and have no issues with the gadgets.

That said, check Device manager, USB Root Hub Properties and Power Management. There is a setting "Allow computer to turn off device to save power". UNCHECK it if is checked. Hope this helps, otherwise you may have to spend the rest of your life at google university.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a laptop, nor use Windows much at present (moved to ubuntu Linux) but I found the following utility useful when I had some USB issues with other devices when using Windows:

Link to USBDeview.

Basically it lists USB ports and devices and lets you turn off and on USB ports. Maybe turn off the JP1 device prior to hibernating or see if you can write a script to turn it off and then send the Hibernate command.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll look into the utility. The problem here is that I'm not the only one using the laptop, and when we're done we close it and it automatically goes into hibernation. So basically I've got to sit guard over the computer as long as I've got my gadgets plugged in or the DH shuts the computer and it won't restart.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of a script along the lines of:
Code:
USBDeview.exe /stop_by_serial xxxxxxxx
where xxxxxxxx is the serial number of you device as reported by USBDeview. Run this at ShutDown and a start-again command at StartUp.

In XP IIRC you could Start...Run...gpedit.msc then Computer Configuration...Windows Settings...Scripts(Startup/Shutdown).

Haven't any experience of Vista or Win 7, I'm afraid, but bound to be something similar available, I'd have thought. Not sure if it'll work or not, though, since the Hibernate process at lid closure might save to disk before running any ShutDown script(s).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: