JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

need IR codes to control SA/Cisco/Comcast STB RNG 100
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Hickox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: need IR codes to control SA/Cisco/Comcast STB RNG 100 Reply with quote

Have REplayTv 5xxx
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if the RNG100 box respond to the same codes as the RNG200 box? If it does, this might be tricky because the RNG200 box uses the XMP protocol and I don't think we can replicate that using RIDGen.
Charles Hickox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that the new comcast/cisco/rng format for IR is "xmp" that not one of the universal remote controls understand. I have not been able to find a universal remote which will "learn" these signals or even includes the STB in their precoded signals. This is awful. Unless there is away to translate some standard replaytv ir codes to run this STB. My Replay is useless. I need to be able to take a ReplayTV code and convert it so that the STB will understand it
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a very good understanding of the XMP protocol here, and our "One For All" and "Radio Shack" remotes can control devices that use the XMP protocol, but even our remotes have a difficult time learning the signals.

I don't know how much you know about IR signals, but most of them use two different burst pairs to format a binary signal. The XMP protocol uses 16 burst pairs to format a hexadecimal signal.

Our remotes can only learn 10 different pairs, so when an XMP signal includes an 11th pair, our learning remotes don't capture it.

Pronto remotes do a pretty good job capturing the signals though.

I only know how to make RID files using the RIDGen program, and it only supports 10 pairs. I don't know if that is a limitation of the program or a limitation of the ReplayTV boxes themselves.
Charles Hickox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: harmony remote 510 Reply with quote

I bought the above remote and was able to set it up to control the xmp cable box, my replaytv 5040 and my TV. Is there anyway to analize the IR signal so that I might be able to get it into my replaytv?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: harmony remote 510 Reply with quote

Charles Hickox wrote:
I bought the above remote and was able to set it up to control the xmp cable box, my replaytv 5040 and my TV. Is there anyway to analize the IR signal so that I might be able to get it into my replaytv?

I just re-read all of the preceding posts and can't see what "the remote above" refers to.
Charles Hickox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harmony remote 510
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then no, you should have bought a JP1 learning remote.
Charles Hickox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where am I supposed to acquire one of these? They don't seem to be made anymore. The only one I can find From OFA is a URC 10820 but the description dosn't say that it has JP1. One review says that it is JP1.2 compatable but cannot be programed by a PC. Please comment
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reviewer is clueless. JP1 capabilities are not advertised. So you'll never see it in any ad copy. HERE's a list of about 200 JP1 remotes. These are your options:

- Go to your local best buy or walgreens and pick up an RCA RCRP05B for $20.
- Go to radio shack and get a 15-133, 134, 135, 100 for next to nothing on clearance.
- Get a 10820N or 8820N from amazon.
- Get any learning remote from the marketplace forum on this site.
- Check and see if any remotes you already have are JP1.

Then you'll have to get a JP1 cable.

If you only care about analyzing signals, just get the IR Widget, and you won't need any other remote or cable.

EDIT: I have to admit, like 3FG says below, I don't really see what a JP1 remote will do for you in this situation. I don't know what a ReplayTV is, but I assume it has a blaster to change channels on a cable box, right? It probably has a limited set of built-in codes for that purpose. If you've tried them all and it still doesn't work with your box, then you're out of luck. If you can specify you own custom signals somehow, then you already have all the info you need. If you still want a JP1 remote for some reason, I gave you some options.

Last edited by mdavej on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, I'm completely confused by this whole thread.

Charles, I think you want to use a Replay TV to control a RNG100 cable box. Rob has told you--if the RNG100 uses the XMP IR protocol-- that it will be tricky to make the Replay TV work.
Apparently the rest of the thread is concerned with trying to figure out if the RNG100 uses XMP. I'm pretty sure that it does, but we can find out easily if the provider is Comcast, or several other cable companies, because the remotes are non-learning JP1.3 remotes. Those cable remotes can blink back the setup code being used with the CBL device. The instructions tell how to do this, and so does this link using the 990 command.
I expect that the setup code will be 01982, and that is the XMP protocol.

I'm a backer of JP1 remotes, but it isn't clear to me that how buying one will help you with the Replay TV.
jonwz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Showstopper - comcast rng100 code 01982 Reply with quote

Hi. Good ol' Comcast gave my mom a cisco rng 100 STP in exchange for removing many of her channels. The 990 setup code confirms that the rng uses 01982 as 3FG suspected.

Any advice on how to get this code into her showstopper? If not, any suggestions on what STB I could get Comcast to exchange it with (although the idea of waiting 45 minutes in their store makes me want to vomit).

Thanks in advance for any info.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding new codes to a Showstopper is not a simple process and it involves removing the harddrive from your unit and attaching it to your PC.

The actual process is described here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=83729#83729

If you're willing to do all that, I've created an OBJ file for you to try here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8705
jonwz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Rob. I've been re-imaging for many years as I've upgraded harddrives. but this is my first try at adding code beyond the two drive patch.

I've never had much luck with "irblasting" but I see the direct tivo-STB cable sold on ebay, and hope it will work in replay 3x tech as well.

Thanks again!

The Robman wrote:
Adding new codes to a Showstopper is not a simple process and it involves removing the harddrive from your unit and attaching it to your PC.

The actual process is described here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=83729#83729

If you're willing to do all that, I've created an OBJ file for you to try here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8705
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're comfortable messing with the harddrive, the process doesn't sound that difficult to add a new OBJ code. You need to use the program extract_rtv, which I'm guessing that you've used before.

I just re-read the instructions and I see that it's easier to replace an existing OBJ file than it is to create a new one, so with that in mind, I have re-formatted the C1982_OBJ file as C0015_OBJ here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8707

So all you have to do is replace the C0015_OBJ file that is already in your Showstopper file system with the one that I created, then use C0015 to work your Cisco box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> ReplayTV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: