JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using remote to translate and send different signal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hrichards

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Using remote to translate and send different signal Reply with quote

Hi, I hope you can help me out. I have looked all over the board to try to find this but I can't seem to figure out what it is called to make it unique enough to find if it has already been asked. I'm sure it has, because this seems to me it would have already been developed.

Here is what I want to happen. I would like my jp1 rs-1995 remote (or any jp1 remote) to receive a unique IR signal using it's learning IR sensor, then transmit a different IR signal back out automatically. Lets say when it receives NEC D50 C56, it sends out the NEC D14 C3 singal back out.

The remote would be hooked up to wall power because it would always be on, waiting for the next signal. This would all be done automatically, and the remote would be in the AV closet untouched. Somewhat like a IR Server. Smile

First, let me tell you what I have. I have a distributed a/v network. I have 6 TV's in the house, and they all go back to the AV closet where we can tune all tvs' to the same show/DVD/DVR show, or keep them seperate. IR is sent back and forth through cat5 cables to the rooms to control the TV's and the sat/cd/xbox/etc. in the AV closet. I also use a JP1 RF remote. This is extremely complex setup, but I am trying to make it very simple.

I have a couple remotes that have 6 or less buttons on them. Lets say, these are used to only turn the TV on and off, and choose which input you want to watch.

The simplest remote, looks about the quality of a crackerbox toy. I can record the IR protocol of a keypress, lets say it NEC Device ID 50 command 56, but I can not change it for this remote.

Am I dreaming or is this possible with anything out there?
bobdole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: ir trans is what you want Reply with quote

There is an expensive gadget in Germany that can do what you want.
http://www.irtrans.de/en/

It is not a JP1 hard ware. If you are will ing to spend that kind of money, it should do what you want.
Alternatively there is something called usb-uirt that can do similar thing, but you need to have a PC attached to the usb-uirt to do the IR translation.

You you are a able tech person, there's a home brewed solution by Bill Welch that you can try to build:
http://bvwelch.com/projects/ir2.htm

I'm currently in talks with Bill. I'm hoping that you will make a commerically available product for people like you and me who needs an IR translator.

Robert
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to answer the original question (I missed it over xmas), no, you can't make a JP1 learning remote do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: