JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

macro keys on 2117
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frogster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: macro keys on 2117 Reply with quote

What keys do yo program macros to? there's no shift button or anything. can you set a macro to a key sequence?
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost any key. There is a shift button, it's "setup,set,"p", or magic. Your's should be "P". If I remember right, the 2116/7 lets you set macros to "shift"-device keys.

Jim
jupiter0713

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: 2216 lack of Macro specific keys Reply with quote

I loved the fact that the 1994 had 4 keys specifically included just to be recepticles for specific macros, and then "SHIFTing" them gave you as many as 8...I think it was a lousy decision to remove those 4 keys from the 2116 - I so desparately want them in there and it is the only reason Im keeping my 1994 around

I know that I am not using my 2116 to its fullest extent, but honestly, what I really need are spare buttons where I can program macros for the kids and the mrs. to:

1s - watch a dvd
2s - listen to music
3s - watch a vcr tape
4s - watch regular television

and then Shifting each to respectively turn it all off.

I dont have that on the 2116 and I really wish it did.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15-2116 and 15-2117 actually let you program macros to the un-shifted device buttons also.

So, for example, you could do this...

DVD - watch a dvd
CD - listen to music
VCR - watch a vcr tape
TV - watch regular television

shift/DVD - turn off DVD
shift/CD - turn off CD
shift/VCR - turn off VCR
shift/TV - turn off TV

Of course, there are many other possibilities, this is just an example.
jwcldwll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not put a macro on the TV, VCR, and DVD selection keys that turns on the device, switches the tv input, changes the channel etc... then they can just push VCR to get everything set up with one key press- ...... if the unit uses a toggle type power button you may need to push the VCR key twice to get the unit on if it was already on.
jupiter0713

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwcldwll wrote:
Why not put a macro on the TV, VCR, and DVD selection keys that turns on the device, switches the tv input, changes the channel etc... then they can just push VCR to get everything set up with one key press- ...... if the unit uses a toggle type power button you may need to push the VCR key twice to get the unit on if it was already on.

because then if for whatever reason I have to hit the specific device key to put the remote into that particular mode, the macro will fire again...wont it?

and shifting the device key wont do, becuase I need the shift function to provide a macro for turning it all off when they are done.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, I like to keep my device buttons "vanilla" so I can use them as device buttons. So, I put macros on the device buttons to fire up the system for that particular device. I have a macro on shift/POWER that turns the system off.

I only have discretes for a few of my devices, so the power off macro assumes that the TV and stereo are on, because I use both devices for everything.
jwcldwll

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because then if for whatever reason I have to hit the specific device key to put the remote into that particular mode, the macro will fire again...wont it?

Yes- but so what- the macro only does the simple "setup" for that viewing mode and leaves you with the correct device selected for any further commands- such as changing the channel. Ive done it that way and my wife loves it. She hits one button and everything is where she wants it.........including her favorite tv channel (and the antenna turned to the right direction) when shes watching off the air programs.
jupiter0713

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwcldwll wrote:
Yes- but so what- the macro only does the simple "setup" for that viewing mode and leaves you with the correct device selected for any further commands.

Not if you have the macro firing non-discrete Power on/off commands

The purposes of my macros are complete power up / power down sequences...

Turn on TV,
Tune tv to proper input
Turn on Receiver
Tune receiver into proper Source mode
turn on DVD Player
Eject the DVD tray

So making the Macro fire again, will effectively turn everything off
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my equipment doesn't have discrete on/off codes, I don't include power in my device-button macros.

My family has no problem getting used to the fact that they have to turn on what they want to watch first, then press the device button to getting everything setup to watch it.

I would suggest that those without discrete power codes should have a
separate power up macro (assigned to the power key if possible), and leave the device setup macros on the device keys.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
jupiter0713

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
I would suggest that those without discrete power codes should have a separate power up macro (assigned to the power key if possible), and leave the device setup macros on the device keys.

So what you are saying is that by pressing the DVD button, will fire the following:
Receiver to DVD input mode,
TV to correct Input mode
Remote put into DVD mode

But if I have a macro assinged to the device key, then I have no button that just puts the remote into that particular device mode, to control that device's functions and furthermore, by including the setting of the remote into DVD mode within the macro as the last step, that macro will fire in a continous loop

Aarrgh - they should never have taken those smart keys out.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost positive that when a device button is included in a macro, it only changes the device mode, it doesn't fire any macro that is defined on it. I say almost because my remotes don't allow macros on the device keys, so I've used extenders to enable that. Extenders have a different way of setting the device mode.

I don't see a problem with having the device-setup macro fire when all you want to do is switch device modes, but you could create a macro on the shift-device keys to only change the device.

Alternatively, you could put your setup macro on the shift-device key.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all a matter of personal preference, mixed in with what kind of setup you have. Personally, I like to have device buttons that do nothing more than put the remote into that mode.

Why? Try this...

Suppose the family is busy watching a show on ReplayTV and I happen to notice that the DVD player is still on. With vanilla device buttons I can simply press DVD, POWER to turn it off. With input select macros on the device buttons, I'm going to have to apologise to the family while I interupt their movie while I turn it off, either that, or I'll have to get up and turn it off manually (which should be considered blasphemy here!!!)
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
This is all a matter of personal preference, mixed in with what kind of setup you have.

Agree 100%.

The Robman wrote:
Why? Try this...

Suppose the family is busy watching a show on ReplayTV and I happen to notice that the DVD player is still on. With vanilla device buttons I can simply press DVD, POWER to turn it off. With input select macros on the device buttons, I'm going to have to apologise to the family while I interupt their movie while I turn it off, either that, or I'll have to get up and turn it off manually (which should be considered blasphemy here!!!)

Using shift-device to do the mode changing instead of just device would work here, wouldn't it? Of course, it all comes down to what you like and what you are used to.
GaryH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, of course, like my solution. Wink My device buttons set up everything required to do that particular function. For example, DVD turns on the TV, the DVD player, my receiver and sets the proper input/output on the TV and receiver to watch a DVD. It also turns things not required to watch a DVD off. Some of my components don't have discretes so I use ToadTog to make them pseudo-discrete. This mean that hitting the DVD button again will do nothing. If I want to do something like Rob suggested, say my toadtog got out of synch on the VCR and I need to turn it off, I simply hit Shift-VCR + Power to turn it off without interrupting the DVD viewing. To turn things off I have a macro that turns everything off.

Toadtog is the key to all of this, unless everything you own has discretes. Plus a couple of my components have the nasty habit of turning themselves on, like the DVD player and VCR when you insert something. But I'd say 90% of the time I don't have to mess with Shift-DEVICE + Power and it makes it easy for the wife to watch what she wants.

The drawback...what a bear to program all that stuff. And I only do it once so when I get a new component I have to relearn all of it because I've forgotten how it works. Anyway, I'm quite happy with the setup.

Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: