JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR 8.0 with Windows 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running in XP SR3 compatibility mode?

IR.exe itself works with 64-bit systems, I use it currently with a JP1 (Flash) cable to program my flash remotes. So if all else fails, you could use one of these adapters to convert a flash USB cable into an EEPROM cable.

However, these aren't available yet as nobody is making them (yet).
marchewd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried every compatibility mode from Windows 98 through Vista SP2. Nothing worked. Right before I wiped my Vista Ultimate 32 bit hard drive (to load Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit), I double checked IR to make sure everything still worked. It worked perfectly. Then, after I installed Win7 64 bit, nothing I tried could make it work. I don't need to do anything with my remote at the moment, so I hope something comes out soon, before I need it! LOL.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not working on a parallel port solution at the moment, so you may need to upgrade to a USB cable when we get that one sorted out.
marchewd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably need to do that regardless, as my current motherboard has a built in parallel port, but the last three motherboards (for other computers) have not had a built in parallel port. I liked the link you sent earlier where you use a flash cable to program an eeprom remote using the adapter. That seems to be the best of both worlds, as I wouldn't need to buy a new cable once I run out of RCU810's!

I assume my RCU810 is simply a JP1 remote, correct? Also, I cannot find the instructions on building a USB JP1 cable. Are they still listed on here somewhere?

Thanks again,
Dan
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you have the ability to program PICs yourself, you could make an adapter for yourself and buy a Flash cable from Tommy. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Tommy were to start making adapters for sale at some point, or maybe even build the technology into a new style cable. So if you're not in a rush, wait and see what happens.
marchewd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll wait, because to be honest with you, I have no idea what a PIC so, I probably can't program them! LOL. I can solder fine, but that's about as far technically as I go. I have tried a few different remotes, but alway go back to the RCU810, as I like the blue backlight, arrangent of keys and the LCD at the top of the remote. The RS 15-100 looks almost identical to the RCU810, it's a shame they discontinued it already.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wait is over, Tommy has developed Kevin's adapter and is now selling them, so if you were to get a USB Flash cable plus the adapter from Tommy, you would be able to program your RCU810 from your 64-bit machine.

The total price would be $53 (ie, cable = $29, adapter = $19, shipping = $5), but as Tommy says in his listing, you would have a cable that will work with any new flash based remotes that you might buy in the future.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9405
marchewd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob! I had a hard drive sitting around, so I loaded up Vista Ultimate 32 bit. Loaded up IR and it worked like a charm. I will remember that setup though and when I have a few bucks, I'll get it for future use.
dre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this suggestion in another forum to get 'unsigned' drivers working in Windows 7.

From the command line, run the following two commands:
bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

Can anyone give this a try on Win7-64 to see if the good 'ol Parallel JP1 Interface works? My Win7-64 testbed was wiped a while back.

thanks!
kcmurphy88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dre wrote:
I found this suggestion in another forum to get 'unsigned' drivers working in Windows 7.

From the command line, run the following two commands:
bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

Can anyone give this a try on Win7-64 to see if the good 'ol Parallel JP1 Interface works? My Win7-64 testbed was wiped a while back.

thanks!

Doesn't seem to.

My setup: Win7Pro64, Gigabyte P55-UDP4 motherboard with on-board LPT header, configured for ISA LPT1 range (0x378-0x37f, no ints). Bios set to EPP+ECP. IR 8.02, OLD OLD parallel dongle for JP1 only, hooked to working RS15-1994.

Would really like to get this to work.
DirecTV since 1994 // HR20-700 (1TB) // HR21-700 (1TB) // Samsung PN59D7000 // Denon AVR3808CI // Panasonic DMP-BDT110 // Roku XDS // WD HDLive // RS15-1994 JP1.0 remote // Wired Ethernet // BA Micro90x 5.1
kcmurphy88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, it seems to get the same Security Audit failure anyway.
DirecTV since 1994 // HR20-700 (1TB) // HR21-700 (1TB) // Samsung PN59D7000 // Denon AVR3808CI // Panasonic DMP-BDT110 // Roku XDS // WD HDLive // RS15-1994 JP1.0 remote // Wired Ethernet // BA Micro90x 5.1
jgumm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I've been a long time JP1er... I want to say thanks to Rob and everyone else for the tremendous work they have done over the years. It's been really fun to work on JP1 projects and learn from the other members here.

Sorry to bring up an old post...but I am having the exact same problem described here. I had been using this machine with Windows XP, but after a hard drive crash I rebuilt and upgraded it to Win 7 64 bit.

Upon building a new home theatre of sorts in our bedroom, I decided to reprogram my URC-8910 to make things easier on my wife. Laughing

However, I have an old parallel port interface I built when I first got into JP1 years ago (why replace something that works??) Well, it doesn't work now. If I run IR in Windows 98 compatibility mode, I can get the "JP 1 Parallel" to un-gray. However, it always says "no response from the interface" no matter what I do. I am using IR 8.03.

Any ideas, or are my days of JP1ing with the old interface done and over with?? If so, what’s the best route for me to go so I can keep going with this fun hobby?

Thanks so much everyone!

John
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we ever came up with a solution for the parallel cable on a 64-bit machine, and to be honest, there hasn't been much demand, because most machines running the 64-bit version of Windows (Vista or 7) are newer machines that don't have parallel ports.

Your best option would have been to get a JP1 (EEPROM) USB cable from Tommy, but he doesn't make those anymore, because he now sells an adapter that will convert one of his JP1.x (Flash) USB cables into an EEPROM cable, but the total cost is $53 shipped ($29 cable, $19 adapter, $5 shipping).

I just checked the DIY site, and they still over the EEPROM USB cable (for $32 plus shipping) so that's another option:
http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables/jp1-eeprom-usb-cable.html
jgumm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I don't think we ever came up with a solution for the parallel cable on a 64-bit machine, and to be honest, there hasn't been much demand, because most machines running the 64-bit version of Windows (Vista or 7) are newer machines that don't have parallel ports.

Your best option would have been to get a JP1 (EEPROM) USB cable from Tommy, but he doesn't make those anymore, because he now sells an adapter that will convert one of his JP1.x (Flash) USB cables into an EEPROM cable, but the total cost is $53 shipped ($29 cable, $19 adapter, $5 shipping).

I just checked the DIY site, and they still over the EEPROM USB cable (for $32 plus shipping) so that's another option:
http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables/jp1-eeprom-usb-cable.html

Thanks Rob! Yeah, the days of parallel ports have ended. It was a great interface while it lasted (oh, probably about 10 years)! Time to move on I guess.
kcmurphy88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgumm wrote:

Thanks Rob! Yeah, the days of parallel ports have ended. It was a great interface while it lasted (oh, probably about 10 years)! Time to move on I guess.

What I ended up doing, since I had other stuff that needed 32-bit XP, was get an ultra-small-form-factor Dell PC from the Pentium D era (eBay). A little over a hundred bucks with licensed OS installed. Works great, and has a REAL ISA parallel port.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: