JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

USB interface does not work on ReplayTV remote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitize

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: USB interface does not work on ReplayTV remote Reply with quote

I have a weird problem. I finally got my USB interface working. I upload/download to an 8810W and also to a 15-1994. However I cannot download from the ReplayTV remote to IR401 ( I have not tried the reverse direction yet). I get this error everytime,

"The remote is not acknowledging data requests. (ErrNo=8, Addr=1024, Size=-1, Count=8 )"

I have changed to a set of fresh batteries on the remote and get the same error. If I use the parallel interface it works fine. I am using an extender on this remote.

What do you think is going on?

Thanks
ddsmith60

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an answer for you. What I do have is confirmation that this message is received when I try to use the USB cable with a Showstopper/Replay remote. Maybe one of the experts can explain this. Fortunately for me I don't use the Replay remote because the 1994 is far superior. It is puzzling why it does this.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a hunch, but have either of you tried without batteries?

I suspect it has something to do with JP1 pins 1 & 2 that provide power to the EEPROM. Neither of my 2103's work with the USB, either. I can't seem to find the notes I compiled when testing this with Tommy Tyler and Mark Pauker (I'll keep looking), but I seem recall it had something to do with power (or lack of) to the EEPROM.
digitize

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Are you saying to remove the batteries from the ReplayTV remote and then do a download to overcome this problem?

I would check right now but I am out of town for a few days.

Thanks
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... ttry downloading without batteries in the remote. It probably won't work, but it's worth a try.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, could you mention whether this is a 2000/3000 series ReplayTV remote, or a 5000 series remote.
ddsmith60

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, In an effort to help resolve this issue I tried removing the batteries and still get the same message. My remote is an original Showstopper remote. I plugged the 1994 into the cable after I got the message for the Showstopper remote and it read the information correctly.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked through some of my old old notes (volumes!!! Shocked ) from Tommy Tyler and Mark Pauker when we were troubleshooting the final designs of the Serial and USB interfaces.

My 2103's have the same problem with both the USB and Serial interfaces ("The remote is not acknowledging data requests."). The best Tommy, Mark, and myself could come up with was it's somehow an EEPROM power issue.

In the JP1 interface, pins 1 and 2 normally get connected together so that the MPU power (connected to pin1) can supply the EEPROM (connected to pin 2). Those two pins are tied together in the USB design Tommy released, but aren't connected to anything in the actual circuit.

My best guess is that there's something internally different on these two remotes (RTV and ShowStopper) when compared to other JP1 remotes. Since I've never actually seen either of them, I can't say what, if any, the differences might be. I know 6012w requires a jumper to be added on the PCB for JP1 to work at all; perhaps something similar is needed on these? Confused

Do either of you have a regular JP1 interface (Simple, etc) that works with these remotes?

Sorry I can't be of more help... maybe Tommy and/or Mark will see this thread and offer their thoughts...
ddsmith60

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
I do have the regular interface design and have used it to download the Showstopper remote to IR with no problems. This is why I'm confused. It isn't a problem that the Showstopper remote can not communicate, it's a difference between the USB and the Parallel interface designs that seems to be causing the problems.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddsmith60 wrote:
I do have the regular interface design and have used it to download the Showstopper remote to IR with no problems.

Similar to what I've experienced with my 2103's.

Quote:
it's a difference between the USB and the Parallel interface designs

Actually, I think the difference probably resides in the remote itself... some anomaly on the PCB perhaps. I don't remember the details (nor can I find any notes on the subject), but I think Tommy has told me that the EEPROM can extract some power from its SCL and/or SDA lines. However, in the USB interface, I believe the amount of power available on those lines is not sufficient, since the USB chip is being powered from the PC side of the interface. As I said, since the 6012w needs a jumper, it's likely the RTV and ShowStopper remotes may as well.

While I'm not suggesting you build one, I'd bet you'd have the same issue with a Serial interface if it is indeed power related.

I suppose if you're brave enough, you could come up with a way to supply [+] power to pin 2 of the JP1 connector (3 volts should be adequate), and [-] to pin 3 (ground). If that cause the interface to work, it would confirm my theory (which is just a best guess on my part... I'm NOT a hardware guy by any stretch of the imagination).

Maybe Rob can shed some light on what the PCB's of these remotes look like, as I'm sure if he's had either one of them in his possession, he's had them apart! Wink
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
I suppose if you're brave enough, you could come up with a way to supply [+] power to pin 2 of the JP1 connector (3 volts should be adequate), and [-] to pin 3 (ground). If that cause the interface to work, it would confirm my theory (which is just a best guess on my part... I'm NOT a hardware guy by any stretch of the imagination).

Many, many moons ago when I was playing around with a design for a serial interface that someone posted, I also found that I had to supply power for my remote remote. I used a radio shack 4xAA battery pack (basically a piece of plastic that held four batteries and had red and black wires that were + and -). I wired + to pins 1 & 2 and ground to 3 (just like Mark suggested) and it worked fine.

Now my electronics skills are not very good, so I'm not guaranteeing that this a good thing for the remote or your PC, but I'll bet if you did it, you'd be able to download using the USB interface.

Better yet would be to take + and - from the USB port itself (USB spec specifies +5V with more current than we need), but I'm not sure if that would interfere with the operation of the USB interface.
digitize

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob and Mark,

My Replay remote is for a 5080 unit. I tried the no batteries in the compartment to see if it would work. No luck. As I mention earlier the parallel interface works everytime. This is a toughy.
ddsmith60

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy,
What do you think about the idea of jumpering pins 1 and 2 to the +5 volt supply on the USB cable. Do you think it will have adverse effect on the interface function?
ddsmith60

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the jumper idea from +5v USB to pin 1 and 2 of JP1 connector and it still comes up with the same error. Sad I guess some other thing is going on.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might need to jumper the USB Gnd to JP1 pin 3 as well. Then again, I'm not sure, but the USB power might be too much for the JP1 side of the interface.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: