JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IS it possible to add a JP1 to ANY remote?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLPicard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: IS it possible to add a JP1 to ANY remote? Reply with quote

Well, maybe not ANY, but say for instance, if a remote lacks a JP1 pinout, or even pads to solder on in, would it be possible to identify within the circuitry where a JP1 header COULD be soldered into?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about all known JP1 remotes are on the CHART. It also shows the connection types. There are a few that are very difficult to add a connector to, as you described.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I doubt that adding a 6 pin connector to a Sony universal remote will pay big dividends. Cool

However, the question did prompt me to open up a Radio Shack "Family Favorites 4 in 1" remote 15-2142. I bought it new less than a year ago for around $8. It has no JP1 connector, and there is no space on the circuit board for a connector. But, it can do keymoves, punchthroughs, and by my count has room for at least 300 macro steps, either stored as a 996 style Fav key, or 995 style macros.

It has a S3C8F09 processor with 32 pins (2X16) marked as UEIC 2007, and a 8 pin non-volatile memory, ATMLH830 16 B. The RCU810 remote has the same processor (but 38 pins), and we have a schematic of that in the File Section. So with a little work at the Samsung website, it would be possible to identify how to attach 6 (5 really) wires.

But I'm not quite sure why we would want to do that.
classicsat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP1 connector/interface really just reads the i2c eeprom, while holding the CPU in reset.

In practice, if the EEPROM is i2C, you could use a JP1 interface and the software to read it.

If it is a UEIC JP1 remote, you can modify its downloaded contents with the JP1 software. If it isn't, you are on your own figuring it out.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to note is that the remote absolutely *has* to be a UEI remote for there to be any chance of adding a JP1 connector, if it's made by anybody else there's no chance of using JP1 with the remote.

However, it's not always obvious that a remote is a UEI remote. When in doubt, you can usually spot a UEI remote by the programming instructions, or the setup codes (which may be offset by a fixed amount).

If the remote is a UEI remote, it could be one of three types of platform; the older remotes use a ROM chip and they either store the user programming in an EEPROM or the RAM. If the remote has an EEPROM you can absolutely add a JP1 connector, as long as someone tells you how. If an older remote doesn't have an EEPROM, it might be possible to add a JP1 connector if the chip used is also used in remotes that do have EEPROMs, but otherwise, there are too many unknowns for it to be practical to add one.

The more recent remotes store the programming on the main "flash" MCU chip and while I don't think anyone has tried adding a JP1 connector to a flash remote that wasn't built with one, I expect it would be possible.
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
I don't think anyone has tried adding a JP1 connector to a flash remote that wasn't built with one, I expect it would be possible.

The flash processors used in remotes so far do not have an inate ability to switch to a serial communication mode. That's done with special code in their flash ROM. If a flash remote has no connector to communicate through, there would probably be no reason to include the special code required to communicate. I think it's a chicken and egg problem.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, so unless a flash remote just happens to use the same chip as another flash remote that does have a connector, it might not be possible to add a connector.

We don't know whether UEI adds the serial logic by default or whether they only add it when it's needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: