JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OFA OARP05S
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh... I see. They're missing from the buttons section of the RDF. They need to be added, but I don't know what addresses to use. They also probably need the AllBind switch in there as well if the addresses are high. Once they're added RMIR and IR will work.

binky or unclemiltie (among others) will probably know exactly what to do.

EDIT: Looking at that RDF, I'd probably rearrange the buttons section anyway and group the buttons together like they are on the remote. Being in button address order like it is, the device buttons are all over the place. And the mix of all caps, mixed case and lower case makes macros very hard to read, IMO.
wnewell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least that makes me feel better, knowing it wasn't just me. I have no idea how to add them, but I can edit the rdf if someone can give me the info, or if I can stumble upon the right addresses to use.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try dev5=$40 and dev6=$41.
R2-M0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I believe that VCR=$12 should really be dev4=$12

I just uploaded a revised version of the RDF file that includes all the things we've learned about this remote since UncleMiltie's original draft.

http://hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7071

In particular, I mapped the dev4-6 buttons, included the flag to enable internal support of Device Specific Macros, flagged the three Multi Macro buttons (Macro1, Macro2, and OnDemand), and added a comment in the [SpecialProtocols] section about installing the Pause Protocol.

This version also reorders and recapitalizes the buttons per mdavej's suggestion. And I also made the button names match better between the RDF and the Map file.

Hope this helps!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work.

Add a [SetupCodes] section to the end and paste THIS into it, and it will be perfect.
R2-M0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Nice work.

Add a [SetupCodes] section to the end and paste THIS into it, and it will be perfect.

I actually saw your [SetupCodes] file earlier, but I had a question about it. That block appears to be a fairly recent addition to the RDF spec, as none of the RDFs in the "Main zip file of RDFs" have this block. And since I've been away from the JP1 world for a while, I'm not entirely sure how it's used.

My main question is: How does a [SetupCodes] block affect device upgrades loaded into IR? Assuming IR takes advantage of [SetupCodes] to guide user input in Device fields, is it also smart enough to recognize any new codes loaded as upgrades and merge them into the list at the same time?
R2-M0

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I thought about it a little more, I decided that the smart people who added [SetupCodes] to the RDF spec most likely new what they were doing. Wink So I went ahead and updated my RDF to include the SetupCodes block now too.

I'm just wondering if we ought to consider renaming Dev4-6. I understand that they were named that way because of the internal numbers assigned to them within the remote. But the average user doesn't care about that, and might be confused by the numbering. Would it make more sense to name them Dev6-8 instead?

Or perhaps we should arbitrarily call them AUX, SAT, and VCR, based on the names printed above three of the remote's existing device keys. This remote does seem to have a lot in common with the Atlas OCAP after all, which maps button $12 to VCR. I'm guessing that's where unclemiltie's RDF got that mapping initially.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The setup codes section takes advantage of a new feature in IR8 which lets you pick valid setup codes from a list and flags invalid ones. And, yes, it is smart enough to include upgrades you've added yourself. This section will likely be added to many RDFs in the near future.

You make a good point about dev4-6. But I'd vote to keep them as is for consistency with how other RDF's handle phantom devices. I agree the user generally doesn't care, but I think giving them actual device names would only cause confusion. As for renumbering, I could go either way.

My 2 cents.
wnewell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for getting the RDF fixed to support the phantom devives on macros.
BUT, I found another small problem. If you set an upgrade to Home Auto, it won't work at all. You can load it into ir and rmir, assign the device code, but it doesn't work. Drove me nuts, but after changing the device type to Misc Audio it works like a champ. I'm assuming 'Home Auto' should be removed from this line of the RDF, but wanted to check with those who know first.
Code:
Audio    = CD,Tuner,Home Auto,Misc Audio,Phono,Amp
mikek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nice work. I really appreciate it. I got this remote doing just about everything perfectly.

I am not sure how to device specific macros to work. Does a device specific macro mean it only executes the macro while in a particular device mode? If that is what it means, then I cannot see how to get this to work.

I also have another question: Are the 3 extra devices accessible? Can I actually control 8 devices?

R2-M0 wrote:
And I believe that VCR=$12 should really be dev4=$12

I just uploaded a revised version of the RDF file that includes all the things we've learned about this remote since UncleMiltie's original draft.

included the flag to enable internal support of Device Specific Macros,

This version also reorders and recapitalizes the buttons per mdavej's suggestion. And I also made the button names match better between the RDF and the Map file.

Hope this helps!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also have another question: Are the 3 extra devices accessible? Can I actually control 8 devices?

Yes, just assign a macro to any pressable key that contains the phantom device and you're now control of that device.

For example

Assign dev5 to Shift-TV.

Now when you press any other key, it will look up dev5 values.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
R2-M0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2-M0 wrote:
added a comment in the [SpecialProtocols] section about installing the Pause Protocol.

And only afterwards did I actually read the RDF spec and discover that comments really aren't supported. Rolling Eyes I'll have to take those out in my next iteration.

wnewell wrote:
If you set an upgrade to Home Auto, it won't work at all. You can load it into ir and rmir, assign the device code, but it doesn't work. Drove me nuts, but after changing the device type to Misc Audio it works like a champ.

That's odd. I created a Home Auto/0555 upgrade in RM for a tower fan, then loaded that into IR. Based on the RDF, IR automatically remapped it to an Audio device. When I assigned Audio/0555 to one of my device buttons, it worked just fine. I must be missing something.

In fact, when I changed the [DeviceTypeAliases] to map Home Auto to Cable instead, IR then mapped the upgrade to Cable/0555. And when assigned to a device key, that seemed to work as well. I guess we'll need someone with a better understanding of RDFs to help us figure out the problem you're having. Maybe while they're at it, then can also explain how the various DeviceTypeAliases get determined in the first place.
wnewell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an upgrade that I had used before as cable mode on another remote, but I changed it to Home Auto and put it on dev6. I then loaded the upgrade, changed dev6 to 2008 setup code, and put dev6 on shift Audio. Wouldn't work. I then set the regular Audio button to 2008 and it didn't work either although it took the code and gave two flashes. I tried this a lot of times, reloading, even putting it on Macro1. It wouldn't work anywhere. I then changed the device type to Misc Audio and reinstalled it and it works everywhere. I went ahead and removed Home Auto from my rdf so it's no longer a choice. I also noticed that there isn't any Home Auto section in the code sheet shipped with the remote. There was with the URC10820. . Now I'm positive of what I did and it didn't work as I tried it many times. I don't normally even use ir, but did this time just to check and see if it might work with it. I'm 99.99% positive it didn't work using ir either. But it's no issue for me now since Home Auto isn't a choice any more. I'd recommend removing it from the RDF to avoid confusion anyway since it's not listed as a supported device type in the code sheet or the remotes manual under Device Table.
wnewell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Forget what I said about IR. I hadn't upgraded the rdf for it when I tested it. So it may work OK in IR. I'd still remove Home Auto from the rdf since it's not listed as supported.
R2-M0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to quote "chapter and verse", but until somebody with more experience chimes in, I can only fall back on what's documented in the RDF spec...
Quote:
The [DeviceTypeAliases] section assigns each of the standard JP1 device categories to a particular device type in the remote. Each of the device types specified in the [DeviceTypes] section should also be listed in this section. This information is used by RM and other programs to make automatic device type translations across different remotes. For example, if a user creates a PVR upgrade for a 15-1994, and then another user changes the upgrade to a different remote, this data determines which device type will be assigned.

So [DeviceTypeAliases] should result in your "Home Auto" getting translated to "Audio", and that's what should be getting passed to the remote. The RCRP05B itself should never even see "Home Auto" -- only the four DeviceTypes given in the RDF: Cable, TV, DVD, or Audio.
Quote:
Each of the 16 standard JP1 device categories should be assigned to a device type in this section. If the remote has an OEM mode, the OEM Mode standard category should also be assigned.

Based on this statement, I don't feel comfortable removing "Home Auto" from the RDF, since it's one of the 16 "standard device categories" mentioned that should be assigned. I could believe that it might need to be moved to a different line in the [DeviceTypeAliases] section, but I don't know which one that would be.

And actually, it looks like the RCRP05B RDF is missing the "PVR" mapping (another one of the 16) in [DeviceTypeAliases], though it does have "DVR" instead. Despite this, RM still lists "PVR" as an option when you attempt to construct a new upgrade for the RCRP. So I'm not sure removing "Home Auto" would really solve anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: