JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question Regarding the Zenith Rec Macro Delay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Question Regarding the Zenith Rec Macro Delay Reply with quote

I tries searching, but can;t find the thread that spoke of using the Zenith VCR 0039 and use the REC button as a long delay in a macro. In that same thread, someone said to keymove the VCR REC to a CD REC, so as to free up the VCR device button. In Keymove, you have to assign the EFC code for REC in order to move from the VCR to the CD.

Step By Step:

In IR, I would assign 0039 in the VCR slot for the device? Correct?

Then how would I keymove the REC button from VCR to CD without the efc for the REC button?

I need my VCR device to be free for my own VCR and not the 0039 device code.

Thanks,
Neil P
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the EFC matter?

I've never tried that form of pause, but I thought all that mattered was the setup code and the fact that the record key is used.

If I'm right, you could KeyMove that setup code and any EFC number to a Rec key in any device mode that doesn't need its own Rec key. Then the macro that needs the pause could switch to the device mode of the KeyMove and then do the Rec command.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to assign VCR/0039 to a device button unless it's not builit-in to your remote.

In IR's Key Move tab, setup the key move as follows:

• Under Bound Key, select the Device and Key you want the key move bound to.
  • Under Function to Perform, select:
    • Device Type = VCR
    • Setup Code = 0039
  • EFC/Hex Cmd (EFC selected) = 157 (from the VCR/0039 Advance Code list)

Then reference that key move button wherever you want the pause to occur.
Neil P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm I see, a quick observation on the 0039 macro delay.

I set up two identical macros, when I use the vcr/rec as the delay I noticed no delay time, when I added an extra rec (vcr/rec/rec) in the macro, then I had approx a 3-4 sec delay.

Will try the key move with any efc #.

Neil P
Neil P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark:

Thats make sense, as I am new to JP1, its all comming together now and I am slowly understanding the fundamentals of the JP1 system.

Thanks you,
Neil P
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil P wrote:
Hmmm I see, a quick observation on the 0039 macro delay.

I set up two identical macros, when I use the vcr/rec as the delay I noticed no delay time, when I added an extra rec (vcr/rec/rec) in the macro, then I had approx a 3-4 sec delay.

Will try the key move with any efc #.

Neil P

Neil,
When you set up this macro, was the RECORD button that you were using programmed as a key move (as per the instructions) or as part of the VCR setup code? In other words, did you simply program VCR/0039 to the VCR device button and then try using the VCR's RECORD button in a macro? If so, as you may recall, in VCR mode you have to press the RECORD button twice for it to work, this is true in macros also.

The instructions for the "Zenith Pause Trick" call for you using the VCR/0039 setup code to program the RECORD button, using a keymove, in some other device mode. This is for two reasons; (1) when the RECORD button is programmed with a keymove, you don't need to press it twice to use it, and (2) it frees up the VCR device button to be used for your VCR (which hopefully isn't a Zenith VCR).

While all of the instructions listed on the internet call for copying the actual RECORD button from VCR/0039 to the RECORD button somewhere else, this is purely to keep the instructions simple. John is totally correct that the actual EFC used doesn't matter. There is logic in the Zenith protocol that checks to see if the RECORD button was pressed and if it was it causes the signal to repeat something like 34 times or so, which is where you get your delay.

Here's the original URL that you were looking for (item 1.17):
http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/faq.shtml
Neil P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob:

An an initial experiment, I was using it as part of the VCR setup code and not a keymove and yup the double rec press would be needed Laughing

Thats why my two rec in the macro was needed for me to get the delay Surprised

Will work the keymove method tonight.

As someone had pointed out before, this jp1 can be very addictive, jees especially as an enginner. Some nights I spend 2-3 hours "playing"

I really need to incorporate the remote with my x10, which I have a well mature network in my house and the 8810w are great fro the price and features vs the 8910 with the RF which is more bulky. I do hope they come out with the AAA replacement for the extender.

Thanks again,
Neil P
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil P wrote:
I really need to incorporate the remote with my x10, which I have a well mature network in my house and the 8810w are great fro the price and features vs the 8910 with the RF which is more bulky. I do hope they come out with the AAA replacement for the extender.

I'm reading between the lines here, so forgive me if I'm mis-reading. Are you under the impression that the RF feature of the URC-9910 (not 8910) will control X10 via RF? If so, you have been mis-informed. If you wish to control your X10 devices using any JP1 remote, you need to purchase an IR543 box which will convert the IR signals into X10 signals. You would no longer need your current RF-to-X10 "transceiver" converter.
Neil P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob:

No, not the RF feature to control x10 directly, I know I need the IR543. The RF feature of the URC-9910 gives me the freedom to talk to the IR543 from anywhere instead of only doing so by being infront of the IR543. I have the IR543 in place and up and running with my 8810W. But say I have the remote in my hand and moved to a different room and want to controll X10, I have to go back to where my IR543 is located to do so.

I will retain my RF-to-X10 "transceiver" because I have numerous wireless wall switched, motion sensors and X10 16 devices remote that needs it.

My goal eventually is to upgrade to Ocelot, to have x10 and IR and 2-way com. without being connected to the computer 24/7.

You guys have been really helpfull and much appreciation on my end here for all the help/tips and knoweldge.

Neil P
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: